Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default FIshing Help for a complete amateur

Im really asking for help.
    i don't know very much at all about fishing.
    my 9 year old son wants me to take him fishing.
    What is the list of equipment i need?

and if there any fishermen on the forum what do you suggest to help me and my son have a day's fishing?

Ultimate Freak

if u wanna do it cheaper with less equipent get a telescopic pole for pond fishing. all u need is a pole, line, shock leader, lead, hooks (size depending on wot ur fishing for), a float, summat to sit on, a net, a rod rest , some bait (this can be boilies, maggots, bread, sweetcorn etc) food of some kind and a flask of tea! (vital)

not reletively expensive to get a basic setup. just dont go for one of those argos things. they are cheap and shit. go to a proper fishing tackle shop and ask advice on local spots, baits etc.

dont forget if ur using ponds/ lakes u pay at to get a rod licence.

Banned

where do you get licenses and stuff from. theres a very small boating lake near where i live. i see people fishing there alot , only small fishes though. thats all im interested in really.
    actually , i live near the River Don which is suppossedly good fishing these days. what do you suggest for river fishing? or maybe i should stick first to local canals / ponds etc

BOA Lifetime Member
    Birkenhead, shithole but it's my shithole.

haha, a sport i love even more than football.

right, where do i start.

first of all tell me the type of place you are going to be fishing, i might know the canal or lake, if its a river you are thinking of fishing you will not be able to until june 16th, as it's the close season.

if you let me know a bit of info on where you are intending to fish, and where you live than i could recommend a tackle shop close to you and even fisheries close to you.

is it just your lad starting or are you too mate?

your lad will not need a licence as he is under 14, you will and it will be £24 for the year, or you can get a day licence for about 3 quid.

as alsynthe said, stay away from the crappy kits in argos, they are not worth the money.

you could pick a cheap whip up on ebay or in your local tackle shop for cheap or you could buy a rod & reel outfit for a bit more.

if the place you are fishing has anything big in do not use a whip as they will break the line.

go to your local newsagents and buy a magazine called 'improve your coarse fishing' this is full of tips for beginners

also log onto a forum called www.maggotdrowners.com, there will more than likely be someone in your area who will be able to help, it is the biggest fhsing forum on the net.

things you will defo need are

*a discorger, this is a plastic device for taking the hook out the fishes mouth
    *line
    *hooks, barbless are best as they are easier to take out the fishes mouth
    *bait, maggots are easily available in a tackle shop and most fish will eat them
    *split shot (this is to weight the float and aid casting)
    *a landing net and handle (this is used to scoop up the fish from the water
    *something to sit on

a good starter kit can be bought on the net, here is one i would recommend and not too expensive incase you or your lad didnt want to go again, although why you wouldnt want to participate in the best sport known to man is beyond me lol

https://www.bosfish.co.uk/f_index.html

click on that, on the left select 'outfits/packs'

when it takes you to that page then click on the 'coarse' option, then click on 'coarse float outfit' on the left a few down, quite a good package for 30 quid. and apart from the bait and net it has everything you need. a net ande hadle can be bought for about a tenner, so you could get set up for less than 50 notes.

i will pm margin master too, tell him to have a look at this thread he might be able to add anything i might have forgot.

if you need any help on anything just post or pm me mate, it is a great sport and it's good to see your lad taking an interest.

but defo sign up to maggotdrowning.com on the forum as there will be someone in your area who can help.

i think your from leeds arent you mate? loads of people from west yorkshire on there.
    lol the trance has gone

BOA Lifetime Member

when i get back from fishing tomorrow mate i will have a good look on the net and try and find some good articles for beginners.
    lol the trance has gone

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aratron
    where do you get licenses and stuff from. theres a very small boating lake near where i live. i see people fishing there alot , only small fishes though. thats all im interested in really.
    actually , i live near the River Don which is suppossedly good fishing these days. what do you suggest for river fishing? or maybe i should stick first to local canals / ponds etc
    licences can be bought either online or at any post office

heres the link to the online one

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...;withoutwords=

your local tackle shop will sort you out with a kit to start out with you wouldnt have to buy it mail order of you didnt want to.
    lol the trance has gone

BOA Lifetime Member

Geek :clown:

Ultimate Freak

i thought itd be better to get him started on a pole as hes an absolute amateur and his boy is only 9. less skill in casting involved and much more enjoyable pole fishing for a young unexperienced lad and i assume aratron doesnt know how to cast a reeled rod. took me a while to run properly wen i was 7 wen my dad started taking me fishing.

Banned

thanks for all the advice.
    i like the sound of the pole fishing best.
    both me and my son are going to go fishing together, but i dont have a clue really what im doing.
    i think we will just try the local boating lake first. there are some nice canals aswell. doncaster canals. if your know that area Esox.
    Imagine Frank Spencer going fishing and that would eb me.
    What do i need to go pole fishing then.?

The Games Moderator

Just to let you know i work for a fishing tackle company (amoungst others) & will be quite able to give you discounts on any tackle you need ;)
    You gotta say YES ! to another excess

The Games Moderator

"Glasgow Angling" & "Chapmans Angling" i work for ;) You'd need to ask for Paul on the order line if you wanna order anything
    You gotta say YES ! to another excess

BOA Lifetime Member

yeah you're right alsynthe, it probably would be easier starting out on a little pole, and your tackle shop should put the elastic in for a few quid, the elastic runs through the top 2 or 3 sections of the pole and acts as a shock absorber when the fish takes your bait so the fish doesnt break the line.

im more of a rod & reel man myself but alsynthe is right a pole would be a lot easier.

if paul can get you a discount then how about one of these ron thompson poles from chapmans.

http://www.chapmansangling.co.uk/aca...son_Poles.html

the 5m carbon whip would be ideal, and your tackle shop could elasticate it for a few quid and supply floats and shot etc for it.

infact you can buy ready made rigs for poles like this, it comes on a winder and all you have to do is attatch it to the pole.

everything you need is on the rig, you just need to attach the bait.
    lol the trance has gone

BOA Lifetime Member

i have fished the south yorkshire navigation canal at long sandall mate, that is pretty good.

your local boating lake would probably be ok to start off and will no doubt have little roach & perch to catch.
    lol the trance has gone

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Traxx
    Geek :clown:
    well the only interest you have in fishing is having peoples gear off from their sheds to buy crack with you dirty west derby bag'head :lol:
    lol the trance has gone

BOA Lifetime Member

i think esox has covered it. you want to fish a venue with alot of fish in so you and your son can have a good result. you will often see the float wobble as fish inspect the bait, if it goes under you have a bite so lift the rod tip slightly (strike) to hook the fish. dont strike too late as its possible for a fish to swallow the hook, but keep an eye on your float and pull your bait in when helping your son it wont happen. i would fish maggots as all fish love these, it may be worth buying a catapult to fire the free feed out to where you want to fish, you can get one for a few quid from most tackle shops. feed little and often until you get bites, you will entice the shoals of fish to your area, keep feeding when they're there too.
    when you are fishing dont be afraid to ask other anglers for advice as most are more than willing to help. same with websites like maggotdrowners
    you should enjoy it its a very relaxing past time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Esox Lucius
    i have fished the south yorkshire navigation canal at long sandall mate, that is pretty good.

your local boating lake would probably be ok to start off and will no doubt have little roach & perch to catch.
    yeah thats where im on about mate. i dont live far form there.
    there is another one as well thorpe canal which is near a big disused power station. so i will need a fishing license from the Post Office.
    I can get a pole rod. do you still cast out with pole rods? do you reel them in? on do you just use the rod ?

last time i went fishing was when i was about 14 at long sandall. my line got tied up i a knot and that was that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DJsmallpaul
    "Glasgow Angling" & "Chapmans Angling" i work for ;) You'd need to ask for Paul on the order line if you wanna order anything
    are you on-line?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Esox Lucius
    yeah you're right alsynthe, it probably would be easier starting out on a little pole, and your tackle shop should put the elastic in for a few quid, the elastic runs through the top 2 or 3 sections of the pole and acts as a shock absorber when the fish takes your bait so the fish doesnt break the line.

im more of a rod & reel man myself but alsynthe is right a pole would be a lot easier.

if paul can get you a discount then how about one of these ron thompson poles from chapmans.

http://www.chapmansangling.co.uk/aca...son_Poles.html

the 5m carbon whip would be ideal, and your tackle shop could elasticate it for a few quid and supply floats and shot etc for it.

infact you can buy ready made rigs for poles like this, it comes on a winder and all you have to do is attatch it to the pole.

everything you need is on the rig, you just need to attach the bait.
    that 5 m Pole carbon whip looks ideal. i could get one of them for myself. would that be okay for my lad ,? or would i need to get him a smaller one.?
    what bait do i need?
    i must say im looking forward to this.
    i bought us both a tent to go camping together,and im hoping that maybe we could do some night fishing when we know what were doing.

Ultimate Freak

if its too big for him wen u buy it u can always take a piece off if its telescopic making it smaller

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alsynthe
    if its too big for him wen u buy it u can always take a piece off if its telescopic making it smaller
    thanks for this. it seems bloody straight -forward and obvious. but i need as much info as i can get.
    i just think its a really nice activity which a father and son can do - which doesnt involve spending lots of money etc
    i wouldnt mind doing it on my own aswell sometime - get a break from the missus have a read and a smoke - break from the PC etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast