Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A small theorem

Supreme Freak

Default A small theorem

Techno records sell BIG,
    if and only if there's a BIG name on it!!

True or false?
    OUT NOW:
    - Orlando Voorn & Juan Atkins "Game One (Ritzi Lee remix)" on Nightvision.
    - Cybernetics EP on Labrynth (Beatport release)

OUT SOON:
    - Black Noiz on Labrynth (vinyl release)

Ultimate Freak

It certainly helps, but i wouldnt say all of the time.
    If a track gets picked up by everyone it can blow right up.
    Or if the label has a big profile it can sell big with lesser known artists.

Most of the time though i'd be inclined to agree.. sad but true
    jimmah!

BOA Lifetime Member
    Birkenhead, shithole but it's my shithole.

yeah i would agree.
    lol the trance has gone

Supreme Freak

virtually no techno sells "big" anymore . sad but true

Administrator

yeah.. but i'll looking at this question in the context of 'does putting a big name on a techno record help it sell'.

the answer is of course yes.

BOA Lifetime Member

yes it does, if i was to start a label i would get a big name like henry or c lib to remix it...then it will sell

Supreme Freak

if the music is good it can help the sales more than the artist on the record... emergence is a big example imo =)))) they didnt wait to get issue the remixes to be sold out after first week.

Supreme Freak

if the music is good it can help the sales more than the artist on the record... emergence is a big example imo =)))) they didnt wait to get issue the remixes to be sold out after first week.

Ultimate Freak

......quality sells imo. how do 'big names' get big???
    21 minutes to know

Ultimate Freak

corbz: what herman means is that the sales arent what they used to be, and he is right. When we refer to a 'big' seller we can only speak relativly to sales at this point in time. Which are not what they used to be. I cant see a record selling 'big' in current terms just because it has chris lib/dave on it. I think if you anylise sales you will find Hermans school of techno outsells london stuff on an average release. Nothing against the music, Its just a broader sound than london techno.
    I know a fair few artists people would consider 'big' who are pretty damn skint at the mo. :( :cry:
    jimmah!

BOA Lifetime Member

Default Re: A small theorem

Quote Originally Posted by Ritzi Lee
    Techno records sell BIG,

True or false?
    its more likley, but not entirley true.

Supreme Freak

I realised how ****ed up the market for techno is. As a label it's logical to make such radical steps. When doing some releases with Chris L or Umek or Rush or whatever, you can sell like 5000 copies avarage...

If you have a great record that all the DJ's play. And your tracks are screaming constantle through all the major parties, it really doesn't matter. It won't sell that much if your name is unknown. Mostly 600 / 700 copies will do.
    OUT NOW:

OUT SOON:

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by COL ECSTATIC
    Techno records sell BIG,

True or false?
    its more likley, but not entirley true.
    myself i really don't care who made the tracks.
    If it rocks i will have them!!
    But unfortunately not all people are like that.
    OUT NOW:

OUT SOON:

Supreme Freak

I realised how **** up the market for techno is. As a label it's logical to make such radical steps. When doing some releases with Chris L or Umek or Rush or whatever, you can sell like 5000 copies avarage...

If you have a great record that all the DJ's play. And your tracks are screaming constantle through all the major parties, it really doesn't matter. It won't sell that much if your name is unknown. Mostly 600 / 700 copies will do.
    that used to be true but it isnt nowadays ... as hernan said all techno market has gone down.... just as an example, a promoter told me sls used to sell around 5000 each release and it came down to 3000 though the quality has increased so much. 3000 still remains big but im sure you wouldnt feel happy to earn almost half fewer than what you used to earn

Junior Freak

[/quote]
    myself i really don't care who made the tracks.
    If it rocks i will have them!!
    But unfortunately not all people are like that.[/quote]

Id totally agree with ya there Matey..when i go shopping i like to pick up stuff thats unusual to me and give it a listen..

As for having a big name on a record helping it sell,Well id say sure if i see a tune thats got a big name on it that i like,for example Chris lib,henry cullen,sure id grab it straight away and have a listen..But if the track is shite there is no way ill buy it just because of the name..

we could go on to ask the same qeustions about labels...

If i got my tune on a bigtime label will it sell faster or more?
    I could strike it lucky and get SUF to release one of my tunes,but its always gonna come down to qaulity..just cause its on SUF doesnt mean its the bisinuss...although if you were an unknown tryin to make a break,getting your tune on a well known label is just as gooda start as having a big name on it or remixing it..

god knows,im an unkown trying to get a bit of breakfast...and probablly dont know enough to be voiceing my full opinion on this...But there it is 8)

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimfish
    corbz: what herman means is that the sales arent what they used to be, and he is right. When we refer to a 'big' seller we can only speak relativly to sales at this point in time. Which are not what they used to be. I cant see a record selling 'big' in current terms just because it has chris lib/dave on it. I think if you anylise sales you will find Hermans school of techno outsells london stuff on an average release. Nothing against the music, Its just a broader sound than london techno.
    I know a fair few artists people would consider 'big' who are pretty damn skint at the mo. :( :cry:
    oh right i get what you mean, i dont really have that big of a knowledge outside london techno...if im following any techno style it would be the english boys and a bit of hard german techno like kramer and drizzly techno sub labels... :)

Administrator

i produce on both style of labels (london and techno) so i know that a big techno release can way outsell a big london acid techno release.

anyway...

the thing is this isn't the rosey industry alot of ppl think it is. it's sad to say but most ppl in techno really struggle. so many time i hear ppl telling me a certain techno artist must be minted and it's such a disillusion.

the fact is some of the biggest techno names out there are having real problems surviving. they alway have and they always will. they move too quick to make money. it's their own downfall! but it's what keep the techno movement so exciting!!!!! and ultimately why they do it!!!

Ultimate Freak

Yeah, you'd be surprised. Sometimes a "big name" producer will sell records just for the name, but often feel the label name is even more responsible than the artist sometimes.

The fact is, we all know techno sales are in the shitter, and many big name techno DJs pockets' are wearing thin.

At the end of the day if some popular techno artist puts out a shitty record it will still sell, but not as good as one of their "hits."
    Instead of selling maybe 6,000 of their hit, this shitty record with their name will sell say...2 or 3,000.

I can think of a few swedish guys who gave some tracks to American labels. These swedish guys usually push about 4,000 records, I am not even sure if their u.s. releases pushed 1,500+ records...and its because the tracks sucked. (And no, I'm not thinking about Headroom)

Ultimate Freak

I'm skint..
    I don't let it bother me though.. Once money becomes a priority everything gets messed up....The best music comes from struggle...

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by crime
    The best music comes from struggle...

Nice quote!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast