Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    BOA Lifetime Member

Default how to connect two cubases

i am trying to sync them but forgot all about syncing. i ve read about VST system link that makes rwo isntances of cubases on different comps to sync via audio, but i cannot get it to work.
    please help, yours truly
    non serviam

BOA Mod

You could also try MIDI over LAN.

Which version of cubase are you using and what hardware are you on?

BOA Lifetime Member

noth cubases are sx3. there is one tascam us122 usb soundcard and other is ews from terratec.
    how to connect over LAN? i heard about it somewhere.
    non serviam

BOA Mod

do a net search for midi over lan.

As far as i can see VST system link is implemented via spdif. Have you got spdif anywhere?

BOA Mod

What is VST System Link?

VST System Link is a system for networking computers using Steinberg Virtual Studio Technology (VST) software and Audio Stream Input Output (ASIO) hardware. VST System Link enables the transfer of synchronization, transport, and audio data between two or more workstations equipped with compatible software and hardware over standard digital audio cabling systems such as ADAT, TDIF, AES/EBU, S/PDIF etc. And because it uses the audio stream itself, synchronization is completely sample accurate, even across multiple workstation configurations!

How does VST System Link work?

VST System Link uses a single bit of the audio stream as a carrier for transport and synchronization information, plus (optionally) other bits of the audio stream for MIDI information. Several computers can be linked in a daisy chain configuration, each one passing on the accumulated information to the next via standard digital audio cables.

How do I hook up my MIDI?

Easy. VST System Link can also carry literally hundreds of MIDI channels down the same single channel of a digital audio cable. Once you hook up your keyboard to the computer system via a standard MIDI interface you’ll never need to use MIDI cables again. Any computer in a VST System Link network can be accessed from any other, so one keyboard can play any VST Instrument loaded on to any of the other computers on the network. Don’t have enough power to run 8 synths on this computer? Then run some of them on another machine and access them just as if you had a hardware synth rack in your studio. And on top of that, VST MIDI doesn’t suffer from the same timing and bandwidth problems of traditional MIDI – VST MIDI has sample accurate timing!

BOA Mod

so therefore you cant do it chief.. the us122 doesnt have spdif does it?

BOA Lifetime Member

nope. godamnly
    i will research about lan over midi option. i also heard someone wrote a utility in max msp that sync comps over lan. anyone knows anything about it?
    non serviam