Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Ultimate Freak

Default Changing pitch while keeping time (??)

Okay, this one is hard for me to explain but hopefully I can get a little help. :)

Take for instance I have a sample, say a vocal or synth stab that is in A. But, in order for it to fit into my track, I want it to play in C without ****ing up the pitch. In VSTi like Kontakt or just using the regular keyboard thingy in FLStudio as you progress up or down the octaves...it just pitches the sample up more or pitches it down. Any ideas?

Also related...I'd like to pitch down some vocals but keep them in time (Thomas Krome does this a lot with vocals) but every program I try to pitch down vocals it just makes the whole loop slower or something.

Sometimes I'd also like to take say...a hip hop or a drum loop from ~110 bpm and pitch it up to 130 for instance...yet in the regular FLstudio program, it just makes it sound nearly chipmunk-ish. I know Ableton handles this really well, but exporting and importing between programs in a drag.

Any help? Much appreciated.

BOA Lifetime Member

Default try this

Melodyne , although its very expensive would be perfect for the vocal things you want to do, also the roland variphrase sampler will do the same thing but is also expensive ,if its loops your working with both acid and ableton live can pitch and change the tempo of loops independently. there maybe cheaper software around that does the same thing ,Anyone :?:
    STAR WARS IS ALMOST AS CRAP AS TOLKIEN

BOA Newbie

Default Re: Changing pitch while keeping time (??)

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Zahn
    Take for instance I have a sample, say a vocal or synth stab that is in A. But, in order for it to fit into my track, I want it to play in C without **** up the pitch. In VSTi like Kontakt or just using the regular keyboard thingy in FLStudio as you progress up or down the octaves...it just pitches the sample up more or pitches it down. Any ideas?
    yeah, real time pitch-shifting right? kontakt can do that, copy-paste from their website:

--
    The two Time Machine modes allow real-time manipulation of length, pitch, and formant. The Tone Machines imprints a playable pitch onto the sample and maintains the same length across the keyboard.
    --

i don't have mine available on this computer, but if i remember right just select "tone machine" from the pulldown that says "sampler" by default.. you can also route different modulations to the pitch and it keeps the tempo correct.

ableton live can do that very well also, it's designed to change tempo/pitch on the fly for the whole audio

Junior Freak

I guess this could be a similar question, but I'm looking to finish a track by having the pitch or tempo increase exponentially at the end until the track is no longer audible (a bit like spinning a record forwards with your finger and getting faster and faster). Is there a plugin that will do this or is something like ableton live the way to do it? (ideally it's something I'd like to be able to automate in cubase).Ta

Ultimate Freak

cubase sx also has good pitch & time options

do you really use FLstudio as your main sequencer???

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease use cubase instead!!!
    jimmah!

BOA Lifetime Member

yeah go on, jims right, sx is an amazing piece of software if you cant afford it get cubase sl or steal it or something

BOA Lifetime Member

U can do the regular timestreatch with in fruity/ Sx, etc.. but it ain't that perfect if u want prestine audio quality and little muchkisation.
    I mean this would involve doing a series of timestreatchings/ pitchsifting for the same file in order 2 have the results u need.. still won't b perfect.

Like said b4 the best way 2 b able 2 seperate pitch from lenght is really the Roland Variphrase technology...

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by yeswehavetheright
    I guess this could be a similar question, but I'm looking to finish a track by having the pitch or tempo increase exponentially at the end until the track is no longer audible (a bit like spinning a record forwards with your finger and getting faster and faster). Is there a plugin that will do this or is something like ableton live the way to do it? (ideally it's something I'd like to be able to automate in cubase).Ta
    That would be a nightmare to mix out of still that doesn`t help you much , i think it would be easier to do it on a finished audiomixdown you could then just record a very long play out and then just do an exponential pitch shift on it, it should sound just like someone spinning a record faster and faster

BOA Lifetime Member

Or if u have a friend with a Final Scratch u can do it manually....

In fruity u can automate the main pitch lever but it won't sound exactly like u what u want as fruity will struggle 2 keep the length... it's a dirty job but can have some nice unexpected results at times...

I really didn't know kontack could do this!! Thanks 4 the tip.

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Lifetime Member

no me either , im well up for a copy of kontakt now ........"bo" :clap: as they say in drum and bass circles

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Ze MigL
    Like said b4 the best way 2 b able 2 seperate pitch from lenght is really the Roland Variphrase technology...
    Damn I thought for sure if this sampler was able to do it there would be some software that could. Maybe I may have to look into buying another sampler!?

Anyway, thanks much for the Kontakt tip as well, I'll try it out and see if it works! I was talking with Tim Xavier who did the vocal pitch down thing I was speaking of with software but I'm not really sure how he did it. I know it's possible.

Cubase SX is great, I have it on my comp. If I am doing work that is more along the lines of vocals or longer samples I usually tend to work within Cubase SX.

BOA Lifetime Member

Damn I thought for sure if this sampler was able to do it

U r forgetting that the very few (and they are very very few) that manage 2 do that are really expensive, over so 3000 euros. Plus u must not forget that this process involves heavy computing 2 calculate hi quality timestreach in real-time. oposed 2 the normal sampler (munchkisation) way, that just simply plays yer original sample faster/ slower acording to the key u press!
    And the polifony on these new variphrase technology samplers is just rediculous by today standards... normally they have around 8-12 notes only!!!!!!

there would be some software that could. Maybe I may have to look into buying another sampler!?

don't thing u want 2 do that just for this process, it's much simpler 2 use kontak! ;)
    There is a Roland gadget that acts preatty much like and external dsp, that u can use 2 process the roland software (vst Is and efxs) that come bundled with it . u got a virtual tb, something like the juno 106 and a variphrase simple vst i... hope I go it right!...

check it out...

http://www.roland.com/VariOS/downloads/index.html

Z

Z

Junior Freak

prep your samples in acid. if you speed up samples and cut them up they fit in the groove more without having to **** with the decay and you can set the pitch to wherever you want. watch out for time stretching artifacts (it gets noisy!)

Junior Freak

sonic foundry acid pro 4.0 has options for stretching and pitching with options to retain or change tempo and key. does it quite well too.
    I don\'t do crack... I would never do a drug named after a part of my own ass - dennis leary

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by jake
    prep your samples in acid. if you speed up samples and cut them up they fit in the groove more without having to **** with the decay and you can set the pitch to wherever you want. watch out for time stretching artifacts (it gets noisy!)
    oops.

yeah ... just like jake said.
    I don\'t do crack... I would never do a drug named after a part of my own ass - dennis leary

BOA Lifetime Member

Melodyne is the baby.
    A bit pricey though I`m sure if you ask nicely someone can give you a "evaluation" copy.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Junior Freak

i posted this on banging tunes forum yesterday ...

you can do it in wavelab

if you have got wavelab then use process - pitch correction and set the length compensation to 100

this will pitch it up / down but not change the length

if you want to pitch a sound and change the length correspondingly (like speeding a deck up) set the length compensation to 0

jobs a guddun !
    suck my tiny brain

Junior Freak

Me and friends use Cool Edit for 'stretching'. Cheap and easy. Can do both, faster tempo without harming the pitch and can change pitch without harming the tempo. Works perfectly.

Supreme Freak

We've got something called pitch and time from serato, it's amazing ... does riduclous shifts and keeps the quality pretty sweet and the timing spot on. trouble is i think you'll need protools to make it work, should work in protools free though i saw a PC crack somewhere once ... worth the effort ... it's got a little graph thing you can make it scratch if you reverse a few bits of your sample first...

Junior Freak

I have wavelab and it works well for this.