Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BOA Newbie

Default american techno scene-011010010011010111

Any american heads out there? Any techno in the clubs, whats the skinny?

The Demon Beast

No we suck, talk to your local promoter and get us booked.
    Thank you for your support.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Administrator

having a bad day toni? :razz: :cheese:

BOA Lifetime Member

Not only is there not much of a scene, but there`s not much of a record distribution netwrok there either.
    If people can`t get the music, how are they gonna find out about it to then go to the clubs and vica versa.
    WTF, a massive, MAHOOOOOSSSIVE country like the States, and less techno than a few of the major techno countries in europe put together.
    What the hell is that all about?
    Does no one have the promotion bug out there, or does hip hop totally rule now?
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

The Universe

Bush dont like techno
    hahahahaha

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    Not only is there not much of a scene, but there`s not much of a record distribution netwrok there either.
    If people can`t get the music, how are they gonna find out about it to then go to the clubs and vica versa.
    WTF, a massive, MAHOOOOOSSSIVE country like the States, and less techno than a few of the major techno countries in europe put together.

techno is a dirty word, associated with raves and drugs. folks dont get the post rave mentality and still run around with backpacks and pacifiers, so ppl lump techno in with the cornball ravers and viola! the good old west remains stuck in 1992

The Demon Beast

He's 100% right.
    And yes Hip Hop does run sh*t, so does Country.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Junior Freak

all of the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and bush sux too :rambo:

Ultimate Freak

a well placed "LOL" should suffice.

Ultimate Freak

in regards to the techno scene in america and it's clubs. (damn edit button!)

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by deafmosaic
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass

techno is a dirty word, associated with raves and drugs. folks dont get the post rave mentality and still run around with backpacks and pacifiers, so ppl lump techno in with the cornball ravers and viola! the good old west remains stuck in 1992
    OI, couldn't have deemed things better myself. Seems like many people here are still stuck in a lost time......

And techno is pretty much either a dirty word to people or it's also that they don't understand it. Yet with next to zero exposure to the musik, how could they understand it.

Out in the EU and the UK it's on the radio, it's in lots of clubs, it's in commercials and other forms of daily life.

Plus really it's just not cool to be techno. :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

lol, that is so spot on

try to talk to people about techno, thats all they think about

that and hip hop rules the country haha

Ultimate Freak

There's a million reasons where techno went wrong in the United States. Some of the obvious reasons have already been expressed (hip hop, bad reputation, etc.).

Realistically I'd say the number one most critical factor of the failure of techno in the U.S. is geography. The United States has a lot of land to cover and everything is far too spread out. For two or three techno crews to congregate in the U.S. is quite a task involving long car rides or expensive flights. The Detroit festival is a great example that techno could exist in the U.S. if everything was much closer together. Also, add to the fact that gas has reached $3US/gallon (go ahead EU, laugh...it still hurts us)...the days where ravers would drive 12 hours for a single night's party are long gone. Without being able to band support together, all there really is now are pockets of resistance to mediocrity across the U.S.

From a political standpoint, things in the U.S. are ridiculously savage. Good gigs are few and far between so it's a bit more cut-throat or "what can you do for me" in the States. A lot of the U.S. boys rarely if ever, get a taste of a good European party so it shifts self-promotion into overdrive. Unfortunately it's usually not the good self-promotion and DJs still end up playing shit gigs at a local college bar somewhere here in the U.S.

Instead of focusing on getting gigs in Europe, South America and Asia...many DJs/producers settle for husting gigs in the states between techno hot spots. Many people around here play the circle jerk game of "you book me, I'll book you." What people don't realize is while it's a great trade off, the reason they always lose money is because the acts they're trading gigs with usually aren't going to pay the bills. Also, they may not be all that great of a performer either. Personally, I'm not oppossed to the trading gigs method if it is worth it for both parties. Ideally, I'd like to be booked because people genuinely want me to come play for them...not just because I can set them up a gig out of town.

Next, being so far from Europe...a lot of U.S. acts have a hard time networking across the pond. Obviously, the average starving dj/producer can't afford to spend a week or two in europe networking face to face. Another problem is most americans are not bilingual. This means unless you're in demand or have some friends...an only english-speaking american boy's chances of getting a rockin' gig in Spain/Czech/etc. are slim to shit.

Lastly, it's no secret that until recent years the newer generation of U.S. producers had a really hard time getting accepted by European labels for some reason. It seems there was a huge gap from legendary U.S. producers in the late 80s/early 90s to the new blood of the early 2000s. Promising names such as Andrei Morant and others kind of just faded away. Perhaps the decline of the U.S. rave scene is partially to blame. Currently, there's a hanful of producers here in the states who have begun to meet the quality of european producers/labels and are finally getting recognized for it. It's no longer uncommon to see new U.S. blood on some of Europe's biggest labels.

As much as I also hate to admit it, the minimal trend has opened the doors for a lot of fresh new U.S. acts to travel the international circuit such as Matthew Dear, Magda, Someone Else, etc. These days it seems the U.S. is slowly getting more respect as time progresses.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by BongoBennie
    Any american heads out there? Any techno in the clubs, whats the skinny?
    [img]http://www.iterativemusic.com/~gunjack/POSTER.jpg
    [/img]

we got the fiyah down south this month!!!!

Ultimate Freak

hey admin wtf? its coded right! dont allow hotlinks or what? mark you wanna hook a brotha up with an edit button finally?!?!?!?!

BOA Lifetime Member

hey admin wtf? its coded right! dont allow hotlinks or what? mark you wanna hook a brotha up with an edit button finally?!?!?!?!
    agreed, and edit button would be nice to have for sure.

Supreme Freak

Default Computer Controlled Re-work

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Zahn
    Also, add to the fact that gas has reached $3US/gallon (go ahead EU, laugh...it still hurts us)....

i know its off subject, but that really makes me laugh, we get raped for fuel in the uk. I bought fuel just outside london for a rip off £1.04 a litre.
    At todays exchange rate 1.8588 we pay $8.78US per gallon in the uk

BOA Mod

Jacbri @ Proton Radio - every 3rd Thursday at 12:00 AM EST / 05:00 GMT
    X-Music @ Techno.FM - every 1st Tuesday at 12:00 PM EST / 18:00 GMT

BOA Mod

brian, you've left one empty space after the link, thats why it didnt show up

I heard about this btw... this should be awesome, shiiit, Wetworks, Matt K and this schranz live act, Gunjack, wow
    Jacbri @ Proton Radio - every 3rd Thursday at 12:00 AM EST / 05:00 GMT
    X-Music @ Techno.FM - every 1st Tuesday at 12:00 PM EST / 18:00 GMT

BOA Lifetime Member

it looks like the US techno scene is not good as all you americans would like to have it. shame, and quite unbelievable that US scene is in such a state as you told. Dustin summed it up nicely, so me as an oversea can see how it is in real and it looks it is really bad.
    sometimes here it is also not the best, DJ exchanges are also common thing for almost all promoters, gig for gig, gig for money, gig for some service in advance, and so on... even i dont think our scene is now the healthiest, it is good to hear that it is not as bad as in some other countries around the globe...
    at the end of a day even our scene is sometimes full of backstabbing and hate, stupid people under drugs, lazy assed DJs playing bullshit, gigs for services in advance and so on.. it is not as bad as somewhere else, thats positive..
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
    -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast