Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    BOA Lifetime Member

Default What's so special about Ableton??

This isn't meant to be a stupid remark. I've never used Ableton so I don't fully understand what it is capable of. I use Reason and Sonar and when I purchased Sonar, I did contemplate Ableton but as a DAW, I prefered the look of Sonar.

So can someone just explain to me, what is Ableton really good at. I take it, it excels when doing thing's in real time, but what is the best use of the application. Also, if you've got your deck's going into your soundcard, does Ableton need an input for MIDI clock coming from the external source or what?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, and although I've read articles about Ableton, it would be good to here from someone who uses it, as to what you get out of it.

BOA Mod

Ableton is good for playing live sequences, with both VSTi's and external MIDI gear.
    Ableton has a decent set of internal fx and things to enhance your performance.
    Ableton is also capable of recording things VERY quickly and integrating them into your performance.

Personally speaking i dont like the sequencer section of it.

Junior Freak

I use it as my end-all DAW. It does everything it needs to, simply and intuitively.

BOA Lifetime Member

it is a great dj/livepa tool and can be used as a great and very powerfull sampler / audio manipulator
    non serviam

BOA Lifetime Member

yea...........ableton is sexy. i love choppy edits and i used to always drop a master into Acid 4 to chop it up..... but ableton can do it easier and just as well.... if not better....

BOA Lifetime Member

yeah, in matter of few seconds you can chop up the sound, **** it up, it`s very easy and alows you to be creative. i especially like to play with loops i made in previous tracks and use them to make new ones.
    non serviam

BOA Lifetime Member

As a live tool its unsurpassed in my humble opinion of course

thats it though
    STAR WARS IS ALMOST AS CRAP AS TOLKIEN

BOA Lifetime Member

Fantastic live tool, and when you change your way of working, a great studio sequencer too.
    It makes you work in a different way to the standard format that all the other DAW`s take, so it may cause you to take a different approach.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Junior Freak

i use it mainly for "cheating".....its great for just throwing loops together, cutting, rearranging the loops, applying copious amounts of effects until the loops sound nothing like the original. This is all re-wired from Cubase SX3 where i will then add the drums and synths and final arrangement.

Ableton is awesome for loops, and although ive never played a live pa set i can clearly see the sonic potential behind it. Personally, i use it mainly for manipulating loops, but i never got my head around using it as a full out sequencer. It is always rewired. Having said that, Ableton is very cpu hungry when rewired, but its good it has that RAM button where you can stream the audio files directly from ram so it wont tax the computer.

BOA Lifetime Member

I've never managed to get it to beat match. The track warping just doesn't work on long samples.

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by AcidTrash
    I've never managed to get it to beat match. The track warping just doesn't work on long samples.
    thats funny cause i, along with thousands of other people, can get full tracks into it to play out and they work everytime :roll:

BOA Mod

i think he meant long samples without beats?

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidTrash
    thats funny cause i, along with thousands of other people, can get full tracks into it to play out and they work everytime :roll:
    Yeah, me too.
    you know what they say about a bad workman though.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Mod

Now now then steve...