Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Junior Freak

Default getting the kick to sit well with my drumloop

any1 got any comments on how to help me get my kick to sit good with my drum loop...i got some great distorted drum loops going and when i place my kicks on top of that they just dont seem to go together..do i need to compress it all togther or gate it or what i feel im missing somethign here...thanks

:razz:

BOA Lifetime Member

EQ is the easiest way to make things sit together. Try experimenting with slight cuts to the really low parts on either the kick or the loop, cause if there both in the same frequency range it will cause the clash which u were talking about.

BOA Lifetime Member

PS Compression will help to even out the dynamics if used correctly.

BOA Mod

Tuning needs doing with kicks to some extent, try pitchshifting the kick up wards until its starts becoming more tuneful... i.e. up the octaves, tune by ear then transpose it back.. this needs doing first.

Specutrm analyse your kick and then your loop so any EQing will be easier.. after all, a painter would spend a good deal of time looking at the subject...

BOA Lifetime Member

EQ and compression for sure.
    try compressing your drums and perks together but your kick compress on its own.
    EQ wise there realy isnt a quick fix and you will possibly get the best results from working in detail with your parts.....but........saying that heres a quick fix that may work, solo your kick and get it to a good level in volume, next high pass your drumloops realy quite high up and play them with your kick, then gradualy reduce the high pass untill both elements are sitting as you wish.
    you can then go in to much more detail with your comp and EQ.
    Then of course theres your kick and bass relation(which is what I would sort first myself before even thinking of getting the rest of my perks sitting in the mix.
    :)

BOA Lifetime Member

Sometimes all the EQ in the world wont do it. Sometimes loops and kicks just don't match up. Playing with the pitch of your kick sometimes helps.

BOA Lifetime Member

It`s all about EQ, and then other bits such as compression.

a kick drum takes up specific frequencies in the mix, therefore the kick needs some room in those frequencies to "fit" into the mix, so you need to pull down other levels sitting in the same place within the mix.
    Your problem is also compounded by the fact you are using distorted drum loops. Distortion acts like compression, and reduces the dynamic range, and increases apparent size of a sound.

Subtractive EQ will sort this out mostly. Then other things such as compression will tweak it up.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mindful
    EQ and compression for sure.
    try compressing your drums and perks together but your kick compress on its own.
    EQ wise there realy isnt a quick fix and you will possibly get the best results from working in detail with your parts.....but........saying that heres a quick fix that may work, solo your kick and get it to a good level in volume, next high pass your drumloops realy quite high up and play them with your kick, then gradualy reduce the high pass untill both elements are sitting as you wish.
    you can then go in to much more detail with your comp and EQ.
    Then of course theres your kick and bass relation(which is what I would sort first myself before even thinking of getting the rest of my perks sitting in the mix.
    :)

there is kind of a quickfix in the plugin spaceboy by elevayta ;)

BOA Newbie

Using compression and eq will help like others have said. You can eq the drumloop by making a notch at the same frequncies where the kick is present at (where they both meet). It's "usuallly" around 100-125 hz. You need to play around to hear what is right for you. You might also want to cut out higher frequencies on the kick. Maybe roll off around 250-500 hz on your kick, but again, it's up to your ear. :)

Another thing is sidechanning. If done right, your drumloop will "duck" under your kick.

Junior Freak

wow :clap: very good every1 thanks i will try it all and get back to u...everything i ever read on here is starting to make sense..im starting to have more positive results with my music now a days...hopefully i can uplaod a short track soon for comments...

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass

Subtractive EQ will sort this out mostly. Then other things such as compression will tweak it up.
    That is DB's answer to everything. ... and he's right. IF something's not loud enough, turn everything else down.

The problems I have matching loops to kicks is usually phase cancellation like you get when you're mixing techno on decks. Best thing to do if that's your problem is to joins the loops and kicks in a sample as one. I'm sure folks would disagree of you wanna loop sidechaining tricks but there's ways around that too. Experiment.Experiment.Experiment.

BOA Lifetime Member

Tuning is just SOOOO important. I don't rely on sidechaning, actually.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcidTrash

That is DB's answer to everything. ... and he's right. IF something's not loud enough, turn everything else down.

The problems I have matching loops to kicks is usually phase cancellation like you get when you're mixing techno on decks. Best thing to do if that's your problem is to joins the loops and kicks in a sample as one. I'm sure folks would disagree of you wanna loop sidechaining tricks but there's ways around that too. Experiment.Experiment.Experiment.
    It has nothing to do with things not being loud enough.
    EQ is simply THE most important effect bar none.
    Subtractive EQ is the most important thing I have ever learned, and when you get it down, even without fancy effects you will get even the most basic track sounding really good.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Junior Freak

can u describe subtractive EQ i never heard of that....thanks

BOA Lifetime Member

With EQ you are essentially building a jigsaw out of all the sounds. Making them fit together.
    With Subtractive eq you remove the frequencies that you don`t want, on each sound, rather than boosting the frequencies you want to emphasise.
    It`s how all professional mixes are done.
    It makes a tidier, cleaner mix, and sounds more natural to the human ear.
    There are many articles on the net about it, really, anyone serious about producing needs to know about and perfect this side of production.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Supreme Freak

With EQ you are essentially building a jigsaw out of all the sounds. Making them fit together.
    With Subtractive eq you remove the frequencies that you don`t want, on each sound, rather than boosting the frequencies you want to emphasise.
    It`s how all professional mixes are done.
    It makes a tidier, cleaner mix, and sounds more natural to the human ear.
    There are many articles on the net about it, really, anyone serious about producing needs to know about and perfect this side of production.
    Spot on!
    Something I always neglect, yet is one of the first things I got taught (esp. when sorting out a mic in a room). I always get trapped into adding rather than subtracting....doh!
    The difference is amazing.
    LivePA
    That is all...

Junior Freak

ok so my next ? is ..

with some of these SCHRANZ n HARD TECHNO loops do they always have a kick drum on the 1 2 3 4 or are some of them just the drum loop with the bas way up...or u think they are the drum loop plus the kick drum on it with the pitch of the kick set to the rigth tone or w/e...