Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Junior Freak

Default TB-303 - Programming Tips! Please:)

could someone please give me some tips on programming the 303.

mainly after fast 16th style hard acid/core riffs...but i guess a general idea on what im actually doing when adding timing and accent/slides etc. ive got the manual but im no ****in mewzo ;)

i want it to bennnnnd! i guess tieing patterns together would help asewell ya...

:cheese:

ta

Junior Freak

stick a load of pitches in...say c...then step through pitch mode again and put every other one up or down an octave, and use that slide...you notice the slide more as the notes are bending over the octaves...funky

Junior Freak

cool! will try it out quick smart, thanx AH:)

Junior Freak

A few more tips for you, off the top of my head:

I get the best acid patterns when using a whole tone scale…so for c, that's c, d, e, f#, g#, a# (that sharps are what make it, though)

Be sure to use the cv & gate outputs into any old synths you've got, or a filter (such as the sherman filterbank) if it accepts those kinda inputs

Sample your 303 line and chop it in recycle…line it up in your sampler and fire it by midi. You can make loads more tight patterns by messing with the midi notes, but you do lose the use of the 303 filter…
    But this also gives you the groove of the 303 in midi format - I've gotten some wicked hi-hat patterns and such by doing this.

Remember you can set the step / pattern length for anything up to 16…can't remember exactly how to do it but you can find out on the net. Odd lenghts (3, 9 etc) can work well.

Run your pattern through a triplet tempo-synced delay. Chorus works well too. But for nasty acid you need distortion - the sherman is a good choice, or run it into your desk pretty hard and crank up the mid eq.

Probably the best advice is to listen to lots of 303 tracks (hardfloor et al) and get some ideas…have fun too.

BOA Newbie

hi all. i have been a lurker for some time now and i thought i would get in on this thread.

one thing i have noticed especially on records like sheet one is that the 303 line is constantly morphing, not necessarily with the filter but with eq and other efx that come in and out but ever so gradually. one thing i notice heavily on sheet one is the use of eq in a constantly changing way. i think what he did was tweak the band and eq amount constantly. it really makes the 303 stick out because it is always changing and like i said before morphing.

i hope this helped.
    faith in chaos.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by provaznik
    hi all. i have been a lurker for some time now and i thought i would get in on this thread.

one thing i have noticed especially on records like sheet one is that the 303 line is constantly morphing, not necessarily with the filter but with eq and other efx that come in and out but ever so gradually. one thing i notice heavily on sheet one is the use of eq in a constantly changing way. i think what he did was tweak the band and eq amount constantly. it really makes the 303 stick out because it is always changing and like i said before morphing.

i hope this helped.

hey welcome!

is it possible i have seen your username on doa? :cheese:

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by loopdon
    Quote Originally Posted by provaznik

i hope this helped.

hey welcome!

is it possible i have seen your username on doa? :cheese:
    yep that's me...
    faith in chaos.