Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

I know i didnt want get involved really. i havent heard ANY of the tracks in your charts so I cant judge and wont . I'm sure they rock.

The thing is he prob has the most diverse taste in music of anyone who has ever graced here. He has gotten up on a hell of a lot of backs too though. i get pissed too when i see a chart full of the same narrow type of techno. Not that the music isnt good.. but wheres the progression? Wheres the diversity people speak of? As for the Dark tag\forum.. thats something that BOA invented for people who wanted to talk about ambient to hardtechno - to industrial - inventive - . And now its like some black mark. As for Chris Liberator? I really dont know what he has done for techno if you fit it into the whole scheme of things ie from Kraftwerk to AFX to Christian Vogel to Daniel Bell etc. But Then again I'm not gonna knock him for the sake of it. I have better things to do > and im not in the habit of pissing on peoples chips. People like his music & he loves what he is doing. Fair dues.

But All this stems from the fact that a hell of alot of people want techno to be wiped of the map and get back to its roots.. inventiveness... because if someone didnt break from the norm we wouldnt be here.. and if people dont do it fast we wont be here for very much longer.

Peace. This isnt a dig at you or your chart.. its an ongoing thing.. its just a rant like yours. And for the record i have the odd Dave the Drummer & SUF records in my collection. ;)
    "The Taoiseach's plans are a quick fix, not a long term solution" - DJ Sunil Sharpe

Deceptacon

i know where you're coming from and i do like to see totally differant stuff in techno. anyone thats ever seen me play lately will know that theres everything from hardcell to liberators, speed j to lenny dee. but as i said these were the tracks that were doing it for me this month. and i dont know if adey got past line 5 but further on down theres hertz, sebastian leger and somemore diverse stuff.

i just really fail to see what makes someone like speedy j more "techno" than someone like liberators. they're both out there doin there thing. totally differant avenues. yes the liberators (et all) have got a certain sound. but so does speedy. when you hear a speedy j record theres no mistaking it for a speedy j record. this world is big enough for many many types of techno. if people dont like it then they dont buy it. as the old saying goes - vote with your feet.

BOA Lifetime Member

[quote="massplanck"]
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech
    adey isnt into dark or gloomy though. never has been. far from it.
    And the amount of *truly*inventive techno threads/releases that have appeared since he left is nil. :(

But to be honest its someone else chart and that dig wasnt due. But I can *sorta* see his frustration.
    Throw toys out the pram because people aren't talking about tracks you like?

Er, why not contribute, instead of criticising other people's contributions?

Too many people sit back and just whale in on other people's opinion, never offering any of their own.

**** 'em.

Sure he's a decent bloke, but thats just kiddie shit.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by massplanck

But All this stems from the fact that a hell of alot of people want techno to be wiped of the map and get back to its roots.. inventiveness... because if someone didnt break from the norm we wouldnt be here.. and if people dont do it fast we wont be here for very much longer.
    Great words.

there`s too much celery techno about these days.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

[quote="Jay Pace"]
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech
    adey isnt into dark or gloomy though. never has been. far from it.
    And the amount of *truly*inventive techno threads/releases that have appeared since he left is nil. :(

But to be honest its someone else chart and that dig wasnt due. But I can *sorta* see his frustration.
    Throw toys out the pram because people aren't talking about tracks you like?

Er, why not contribute, instead of criticising other people's contributions?

Too many people sit back and just whale in on other people's opinion, never offering any of their own.

**** 'em.

Sure he's a decent bloke, but thats just kiddie shit.
    it is kiddie shit i agree.

BOA Lifetime Member

Every style of techno has a subtle influence on other styles.
    Whilst you might not like pounding grooves, plenty of the artists you do like will more than likely have been influenced by music that you yourself don't like.

Techno "getting back to its roots" sounds like a plaintive rosy tinted plea to restrict releases to a handful of manageable, universally praised and accepted stock of records.

All the "celery" techno serves a purpose. Whilst you might dislike 90% the odd record will come out that suddenly contains an original idea, and has an impact which ripples through other genres and sub-genres.

I'd rather people were prolific. It would be great if people only released inventive original records - but what a ridiculous unrealistic hope? Everyone releaseing original inventive records. Music is a hit and miss affair. Some of your ideas resonate, others won't. If people don't like you they won't buy or play your records. No one is forcing djs to play celery, or punters to buy it. They buy and play it because they like it. It gets released because there is a demand for it.

You are never going to have the same inventiveness with a mature form of music than you will with a fledgingly style. Before techno there was nothing. So everything that was done in the early days was remarkable by default.

People need to pull their head out of their arses at times.

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace
    People need to pull their head out of their arses at times.
    definitly.. people need to start enjoying their music instead of scrutinising it to see if its cool enough. i'd love all the artists out there to release a serious of white labels.. no info what so ever. then we'll see who likes what.

BOA Lifetime Member

All the "celery" techno serves a purpose. Whilst you might dislike 90% the odd record will come out that suddenly contains an original idea, and has an impact which ripples through other genres and sub-genres.
    I don`t think you know what celery techno is.
    Nothing comes out of it.

Uberschall loops essentials banged together.
    Some bongo loops.
    Hip hop vocal.
    High Pass filter.
    Back in again for more of the same.
    Ad infinitum.

Lazy, fetid turd.

I think a lot of pop music contributes more than this type of guff.

Not that this has anything to do with RT`s charts.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

Even the worst idea paves the way for better ones.
    Nothing is without merit.

BOA Lifetime Member

Even the worst idea paves the way for better ones.
    Nothing is without merit.
    what?

Deceptacon

right thats it.. im never posting another chart again. :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

I don't think you can judge any tune as being completely and utterly devoid of merit. And often a big pile of shitty tunes makes producers move in a different direction and start producing different stuff. Which could be good/innovative/original/inventive etc

Crap records play a part in any scene.
    But if you have any sense, you won't buy them, and won't pay to hear people play them.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by basslinejunkie
    id hardly call 'pounding grooves' something diffrent,the title name says it all. but then again thats what good about it.simple but effective.
    if you bothered to listen you may realise it "is" a bit different !!

BOA Lifetime Member

ok when i talk about inventive is about as much about the fact that all that "techno" producers seem only ever seem to to be able to express themselves through 140bpm lets take pills 4/4 kick & hihat drum music. Speedy J is universally respected not because of his recent 'bangers' but because of his other stuff like "A Shocking Hobby" which im sure most collabs & kreck owners have never heard of or even attempted to listen to. Whats hard about making an ambient track or a 200bpm track alongside a 140bpm belter or whatever?

lazyness.
    "The Taoiseach's plans are a quick fix, not a long term solution" - DJ Sunil Sharpe

Ultimate Freak

i wish there was a "YAWN" smiley . . .

Supreme Freak

Speedy J is universally respected not because of his recent 'bangers' but because of his other stuff like "A Shocking Hobby" which im sure most collabs & kreck owners have never heard of or even attempted to listen to
    bingo! the problem is that most guys are stuck in their own self-created small world with the 5 artists they know and like.
    "Techno Music is my Heritage. Techno is not dead DAMM IT!!" - Omar-S

Deceptacon

ok when i talk about inventive is about as much about the fact that all that "techno" producers seem only ever seem to to be able to express themselves through 140bpm lets take pills 4/4 kick & hihat drum music. Speedy J is universally respected not because of his recent 'bangers' but because of his other stuff like "A Shocking Hobby" which im sure most collabs & kreck owners have never heard of or even attempted to listen to. Whats hard about making an ambient track or a 200bpm track alongside a 140bpm belter or whatever?

lazyness.
    when i talk about speedy j i talk about everything he's done way back to plus 8 stuff circa 91/92. i still recognise it as speedy j cause i love his productions and i know them inside out.

i dont think its laziness, more choice. i personally dont want to create a 200bpm track the same as i dont want to create an ambient track but i know i could. i know what i wanna make and thats it. when i was in indie bands we didnt make country and western music. An artist has his right to create what he chooses, anything else is pandering to the masses.

Deceptacon

. Speedy J is universally respected not because of his recent 'bangers' but because of his other stuff like "A Shocking Hobby" which im sure most collabs & kreck owners have never heard of or even attempted to listen to.
    lazyness.
    i think thats a bit of an odd statement. you know as well as i do how anal we can be about our music. fair enough some new blood on the scene might have only discovered speedy j through collabs but a fair majority of them will go and route out his earlier stuff through whatever means.

i remember when i started playing out, it was about the time acid hit big 96ish. i used to resident in fusion (above whats frazers now) and i thought acid was new and totally differant. i soon learned that there had been acid around long b4 SUF. i discovered prolekult, brain, harthouse and loads more.

but thats the thing, everyone finds their own doorway into a certain style of music but that doesnt mean thats where it ends. most will go on a hunt to discover new (& old) music.

Deceptacon

sorry i left the word lzyness in there.. oops.. didnt mean to misqoute you like that

Deceptacon

also just wanna say that besides a certain individuals childish comments earlier in the thread, this has turned into the most interesting discussion on here in ages.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast