Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Administrator

Default If your Hard Drive crashes and data is lost (Mac and PC)

Well this has happened to me on both platforms now. Yesterday Chrissi's Mac powerbook HD failed completely and she HADNT backed up.

On both occasions I went through hours thinking I was screwed. But in BOTH instances I managed to get ALL data back. In each case I tried every data recovery program under the sun. So I'm posting this to help people whom this happens to.

For the PC - Get a working PC, take it apart and attach the messed up HD to a spare place on the IDE cable. Use Easy Recovery to restore the DATA.

For the MAC - Get a another MAC and use Target Disk mode to access your screwed HD. Use Data Rescue II. You can try Tech Tool Pro and Diskwarrior but they didn't work for me.

To be honest, you're not guaranteed when your HD goes down that you'll be able to get the DATA back, so you're best using a cloning prog like Superduper (MAC) and Ghost (PC) and/or making regular DVD backups. But luckily these methods worked for me...

It's either that or send off and spend thousands getting the data back!!!

Hope you never have to go through this ;)

BOA Mod

Glad you got everything back mark..

Now if only there was a program which makes your hardrive jump out of your machine and beat the living shit out of the smackhead who took it....

Ultimate Freak

Yeah it is usually possible to get most data back but like you say, i once had one fail completely irrecoverable and it wasn't through want of trying either. :(

Glad you got that sorted though
    Myspace here

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyedgy

Now if only there was a program which makes your hardrive jump out of your machine and beat the living shit out of the smackhead who took it....
    funny you should ask.... i was actually just wokring on something like that the other day.... paste this into notepad and email it to Bill Gates or Paula Yates and you should be sorted...

smackhead = theif;
    while (smackhead < human, human = human - comp, comp--))
    {
    smackhead = smackhead.kickThe(shit, living);
    }

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by stjohn

funny you should ask.... i was actually just wokring on something like that the other day.... paste this into notepad and email it to Bill Gates or Paula Yates and you should be sorted...

smackhead = theif;
    {
    }
    :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

Default If your Hard Drive crashes and data is lost (Mac and PC)

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    Well this has happened to me on both platforms now. Yesterday Chrissi's Mac powerbook HD failed completely and she HADNT backed up.

On both occasions I went through hours thinking I was screwed. But in BOTH instances I managed to get ALL data back. In each case I tried every data recovery program under the sun. So I'm posting this to help people whom this happens to.

For the PC - Get a working PC, take it apart and attach the messed up HD to a spare place on the IDE cable. Use Easy Recovery to restore the DATA.

For the MAC - Get a another MAC and use Target Disk mode to access your screwed HD. Use Data Rescue II. You can try Tech Tool Pro and Diskwarrior but they didn't work for me.

To be honest, you're not guaranteed when your HD goes down that you'll be able to get the DATA back, so you're best using a cloning prog like Superduper (MAC) and Ghost (PC) and/or making regular DVD backups. But luckily these methods worked for me...

It's either that or send off and spend thousands getting the data back!!!

Hope you never have to go through this ;)
    Yeah one of my machines is down right now. Going thru this same thing at the very moment. Oi, wish I had done proper backups as well. If I wasn't so busy getting stoned :smoke: :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

thanks for the tip. never had a hd crash in my life, but am always paranoid about it.
    maybe sometimes a hd crash is the best thing that can happen to a musician ;)
    non serviam

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Miromiric
    thanks for the tip. never had a hd crash in my life, but am always paranoid about it.
    this can be true :)

still wouldnt risk it though :lol:

BOA Mod

smackhead = theif;
    {
    }

im in tears here :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miromiric
    it can be, fo sho :cheese:

Junior Freak

smackhead = theif;
    {
    }
    Very clever :lol: