Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by SummerOfSam View Post
    I don't agree but I'll ask you for example?
    I`ll turn it around and ask for ome examples of something that isn`t following the route of same old same old made-to-fit-my-hero`s sound techno.

I think there is some great schranze out there, as is other techno, but for the good stuff there is a 20-1 ratio of sounds just-the-same as "insert genre leader here"

I think it`s easy to scapegoat schranze, but it`s a wider problem.

Too many people just making tunes to be popular or get ahead/get a name.

Obviously, this is my cynical view though.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass View Post
    I`ll turn it around and ask for ome examples of something that isn`t following the route of same old same old made-to-fit-my-hero`s sound techno.
    dirty bass obviously...

The Demon Beast

I think there is some great schranze out there, as is other techno, but for the good stuff there is a 20-1 ratio of sounds just-the-same as "insert genre leader here"

I think it`s easy to scapegoat schranze, but it`s a wider problem.

Too many people just making tunes to be popular or get ahead/get a name.

Obviously, this is my cynical view though.
    I don't think I am following any hero sound.
    Nor is Patrick Dsp
    Nor is Brad Lee
    Nor is David F.
    Nor is Paul Mac.
    Nor is Scott Gray for that matter....

I think there are a few who are trying to carve their own niche in the boat that is about to float over the water fall.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crime View Post
    Robin, I just checked out some of the stuff you were talking about (aside from the Calver).. Do you think the schranz scene is somehow merging with the Gabba/Hardcore scene? I must point out I was being a completely sarcastic wanker (I'm suprised anyone took me so seriously), but I have been to some horrific parties over the last few months in germany wich has given me some cynicism over the whole schranz "scene" although a few honourable mentions must go out to a few people from that scene who are nice people (Kvitta, Pets, Lukas etc).. but it does seem to be taking some ques from the hardcore thing... not my bag so much, but I can understand the appeal a bit more that a lot of the crap that was coming out over the past few years.. the biggest problem I feel is though that some producers are too happy just to be pumping out product.. i.e. 12 e.p.s a year with no though as to whether the next record was a progression from the last...

sorry for being rude to you dude

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by fac View Post
    are you serious? thats prolly the worst shit called music i ever heard. a shame they call it techno. its as stupid as all the scooter stuff. i really cant believe that there are people liking this more than poor produced crap. and even worse: djs like rush etc. playing it regularly.
    yea im serious!!

schranz is getting well known in wales, the bootlegs are doing it, not a full set of bootlegs. when they are dropped in, they go nuts coz they know the tune.

seen yoji biomehanica play a flat out schranz set @ evolution, cardiff a few months back.

played schranz from start to finnish, dropped in schranz slippy & end of hopes remix, the crowd went nutts.

also they got alot fatter bass line than most schranz stuff.

i love it
    COOL AS U LIKE! PROMOTIONS

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by crime View Post
    Difference is though Miro, that you were trying to diss something that you didn't have much of an idea about, and showed yourself up when you couldn't even tell the difference between my name and Mark Williams's..

that was just a mix up with names.

BOA Lifetime Member

There are too many Marks out there, some of them need culling I reckon :)
    Oh wow - myspace :coffee: http://www.myspace.com/robsoliton

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    dirty bass obviously...
    At last someone with guts.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

BOA Lifetime Member

yoji biomehanica got skillz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfe4kbcaQWQ
    Wow, he's rocking it there!

His talent needs to be recognised on a wider scale. Do Asia have an equivalent of the Eurovision?

Junior Freak

wow......... that is some funny ish right there.
    the opposite of congress must be progress

Supreme Freak

oh man, his penis must be sooooo damn short...
    "Techno Music is my Heritage. Techno is not dead DAMM IT!!" - Omar-S

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by SummerOfSam View Post
    I don't think I am following any hero sound.
    Nor is Patrick Dsp
    Nor is Brad Lee
    Nor is David F.
    Nor is Paul Mac.
    Nor is Scott Gray for that matter....

I think there are a few who are trying to carve their own niche in the boat that is about to float over the water fall.
    Carving a niche in a niche is probably not the best idea, but the peeps in your list I respect musically, and don`t represent the majority of dross out there.

Mac is a good example though of a Diverse Producer. He turns his hand to all things and does it very well, his music contains many references and influences, and really techno needs more people like him, as too many producers have a very limited pallette in both influence and product, and it`s starting to show in the increasing blandness of the techno genre as a whole.
    I also think that distributers wield the blame as well, as the shrinking market causes a tendancy to be popularist, and so less risks are taken.
    I`m almost hoping for the death of vinyl now, as it will losen the stranglehold of the distributers and possibly increase the diversity within techno, both from the listener/clubber and the producer, who can take more risks due to lower overheads etc.
    Who knows.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

BOA Lifetime Member

I`m almost hoping for the death of vinyl now, as it will losen the stranglehold of the distributers and possibly increase the diversity within techno, both from the listener/clubber and the producer, who can take more risks due to lower overheads etc.
    Who knows.

Ah man, don't be like that. Digital is an option for everyone if they want, but the death of vinyl won't suddenly help achieve what you're talking about at all. What about the people who actually like releasing vinyl and do put out good records? There are a lot of labels that wouldn't be as bothered if their only option was digital. You need to give this subject a bit more thought I think.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Miromiric View Post
    that was just a mix up with names.
    so this is you then ??
    : http://www.discogs.com/artist/Miro

:p

BOA Mod

ah, legendary Miro

this has got to be one of the best hardcore releases ever...
    http://www.discogs.com/release/20562
    Jacbri @ Proton Radio - every 3rd Thursday at 12:00 AM EST / 05:00 GMT
    X-Music @ Techno.FM - every 1st Tuesday at 12:00 PM EST / 18:00 GMT

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sunil View Post
    Ah man, don't be like that. Digital is an option for everyone if they want, but the death of vinyl won't suddenly help achieve what you're talking about at all. What about the people who actually like releasing vinyl and do put out good records? There are a lot of labels that wouldn't be as bothered if their only option was digital. You need to give this subject a bit more thought I think.
    I`ve thought a lot, believe me, but we are entering a time when techno is almost run by one distributer, and this is a scary situation to be in. Monopoly does nothing for any business or organisation/scene.
    Pretty soon the financial arrangemnts will start twisting further, and we will see less labels being able to afford to run within this monopolies idea of the techno market.
    I don`t wish anyone out of business, but taking a big step back and a realistic look at the way things have gone without wishful eyes, or a head in the sand mentality, and it don`t exactly paint a pretty picture.
    The mp3 revolution however, is nothing but positive really.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

M.O.D.

Carving a niche in a niche is probably not the best idea, but the peeps in your list I respect musically, and don`t represent the majority of dross out there.

Mac is a good example though of a Diverse Producer. He turns his hand to all things and does it very well, his music contains many references and influences, and really techno needs more people like him, as too many producers have a very limited pallette in both influence and product, and it`s starting to show in the increasing blandness of the techno genre as a whole.
    I also think that distributers wield the blame as well, as the shrinking market causes a tendancy to be popularist, and so less risks are taken.
    Who knows.
    yeah you really hit the nail on the head there. the business model for techno is so broken that it's desperately seeking anything even moderately successful then caning it to death for any possible profit. they have supply and need more demand. can't blame them, really...but it's an institutional problem. a switch from vinyl might lower the overhead, but the key problem would still be there...which is a problem not so much with the demand but with the supply

the solution for me though is to have more producers like paul mac who can do everything and do everything with some quality and care. i know i'll probably get hammered for being elitist, but maybe there need to be fewer producers out there?

i mean, label owners and distributors can do what they want but maybe there should be fewer producers, fewer labels, etc. and higher quality standards. maybe tracks should be evaluated on how they function as songs rather than as loops that fit a category? maybe there needs to be some consolidation among labels, but in the sense of creating label collectives that pool resources and sustain each other?

just throwing ideas out there...
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

The Demon Beast

Quote Originally Posted by SlavikSvensk View Post
    yeah you really hit the nail on the head there. the business model for techno is so broken that it's desperately seeking anything even moderately successful then caning it to death for any possible profit. they have supply and need more demand. can't blame them, really...but it's an institutional problem. a switch from vinyl might lower the overhead, but the key problem would still be there...which is a problem not so much with the demand but with the supply

the solution for me though is to have more producers like paul mac who can do everything and do everything with some quality and care. i know i'll probably get hammered for being elitist, but maybe there need to be fewer producers out there?

i mean, label owners and distributors can do what they want but maybe there should be fewer producers, fewer labels, etc. and higher quality standards. maybe tracks should be evaluated on how they function as songs rather than as loops that fit a category? maybe there needs to be some consolidation among labels, but in the sense of creating label collectives that pool resources and sustain each other?

just throwing ideas out there...
    Good stuff in here.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

BOA Lifetime Member

I`ve thought a lot, believe me, but we are entering a time when techno is almost run by one distributer, and this is a scary situation to be in. Monopoly does nothing for any business or organisation/scene.
    Pretty soon the financial arrangemnts will start twisting further, and we will see less labels being able to afford to run within this monopolies idea of the techno market.
    I don`t wish anyone out of business, but taking a big step back and a realistic look at the way things have gone without wishful eyes, or a head in the sand mentality, and it don`t exactly paint a pretty picture.
    The mp3 revolution however, is nothing but positive really.
    Ok, so Neuton - as an example - might dictate some stuff from Germany or whatever, but that said, they (bigger companies) are necessary too. They are useful to smaller 'middle-men' companies, and when a big one goes down, sometimes lots of great labels go down, and smaller distributors suffer. EFA anyone?

As a matter of interest, who is/are the big bad wolf 'monopoly' distributor(s) in your opinion?

Personally I can think of quite a few small independent companies that are doing a good job and who I want to see continue selling records. Veto, Electronik, Possible, Base Level are quick examples. None of them have embraced Mp3 yet, and seem to be still managing, albeit probably not making bucketloads of money.

Also, there are many rock, and A-Z style distributors that are doing more electronic vinyl now, which I think is good. I've seen records pop up on lists I wouldn't have expected to have previously seen - sure, it might be a sign of labels having to spread their wings to shift units, but personally I think it's good to see a wider chain emerging for electronic/techno vinyl.

Ok, monopolies are not good, especially as mediocre music will prosper more as a result. That's why it's good to have faith in the existing companies that are keeping it real, putting out good records, and keeping independent spirit alive.

Relying on or putting all your faith into mp3 only and you're subscribing to an invisible and potentially *far* weaker scene in my opinion. The proof is already in the pudding, if you analyse the 'history' of digital labels, and vinyl labels converting to digital only.... I mean, where are the success stories?

More adventurous releases from some distributors would be a big advantage alright, but bland music seems to be more visible for a number of reasons now, including:

- Less new music being released, full stop.
    - DJs (Big name) playing too many new records that don't cut the mustard.
    - A disintigration of innovation

This said, I have lots of hope for the future, and hope many people can claw their way back, and that the appetite for edgier music in general... returns a little bit more.

I understand what you're saying about digital bringing control back to the independent artist, but that option is already there and has been for some time. The 'good' days of successful distributors are what brought us the great records we all own. There's a lot to be said for the single minded vision of distributors, past and present, which can't be scoffed at. If I were a label under the wing of a happening distributor, I know I'd be far happier than being a dot in the ocean of the digital label internet highway...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast