Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

The sloppy mixing adds to the general esoteric style
    This would have been worse if he was clinically precise about everything.
    The urgency and energy comes from a sense of struggling to keep things under control. Its electric

There's more to djing that getting records perfectly in time...

BOA Lifetime Member

Mills can be hit and miss. But he is right on the edge when he is working. And this is why.
    It`s real seat of your pants stuff.
    When he gets it right, it is truly amazing and intense.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLanIfR13A

But you do have to be there.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

M.O.D.

i'd rather hear a raw, daring mix than a seamless, boring one
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass View Post
    Mills can be hit and miss. But he is right on the edge when he is working. And this is why.
    It`s real seat of your pants stuff.
    When he gets it right, it is truly amazing and intense.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLanIfR13A

But you do have to be there.
    I never get bored of listening to Purpose makers.

Ultimate Freak

Thumbs down

most over rated mixtape ever....

Junior Freak

Still love this to be honest.
    I'd say the mixing was more frenetic than messy.

However The Exhibitionist, that's just a shambles, and extremely disappointing.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by CraigLea View Post
    Still love this to be honest.
    I'd say the mixing was more frenetic than messy.

However The Exhibitionist, that's just a shambles, and extremely disappointing.
    yeah, The Exhibitionist is utter doodoo. Still scratching my head as to how they decided to release something so poor.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by drift9 View Post
    Still scratching my head as to how they decided to release something so poor.
    I know, it defies belief.
    Fortunately I've never bought many sloppy mixes, but this definitely stands at the top of the pile.

Administrator

i havent listened to this since the days when it was released but i doo know one thing - it blew me away. if you're just into beat mixing and getting shit in time, this sucks. but the thing that made me freak over this was just the sheer chaos. an almost two fingers up to normality. every other dj was about simple 3 minute mixing but mills, well it was just revolutionary. all the tracks went together in there own way and oh so quick.

i'm sure it sounds crap now, but back in the day, it was amazing...

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG View Post
    i havent listened to this since the days when it was released but i doo know one thing - it blew me away. if you're just into beat mixing and getting shit in time, this sucks. but the thing that made me freak over this was just the sheer chaos. an almost two fingers up to normality. every other dj was about simple 3 minute mixing but mills, well it was just revolutionary. all the tracks went together in there own way and oh so quick.

i'm sure it sounds crap now, but back in the day, it was amazing...
    having already heard mills play a whole bunch of times, including his legendary set at the Lost when Basic Channel played live, I found this mixtape to be a major dissapointment.....

Junior Freak

I loved it. Well, still do. Yeah, the mixing was untidy but was balanced out by the outstanding selection of tunes. Which matters the most to me when I listen to a set.

Prince Of Warthogs

yeah it's really not about the mixing at all
    but if you listen there are plenty of subtle moments with 2 copies where he's really got it going on but he's just not making a big deal out of it.

no really what it is, is that the tracks he plays are pretty dull on their own
    and mills just brings it all to life and gets it kicking by doubling up , cutting in and out
    and splicing musical phrases together in real time to create unique grooves from pretty un-dynamic records

maybe he had more technically perfect nights
    but he nailed it with his sheer energetic force of will on this mix.
    love your mum

Junior Freak

this was the first mix I heard which made me start listening to techno properly.......I'd never heard anything like it.....he does take a bunch of basically boring loops and make them sound exciting....I've seen him a few times and he is hit or miss but unique in his style......

BOA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer View Post
    but if you listen there are plenty of subtle moments with 2 copies where he's really got it going on but he's just not making a big deal out of it.

and mills just brings it all to life and gets it kicking by doubling up , cutting in and out
    and splicing musical phrases together in real time to create unique grooves from pretty un-dynamic records

maybe he had more technically perfect nights
    but he nailed it with his sheer energetic force of will on this mix.
    100% I've said it before and i'll say it again, I am 200000% sure that mills makes mistakes on purpose, not all the time, but the mistakes are toooo regular for a DJ of his calibre to be doing that much. He's said it before that his 3 ring circus is just that he'll use the bass of one record, the middle form another and the treble from another and switch between the two.

for alll the haters i challenge any of them to mix and CREATE which is what he's doing, that well. I dont give a monkeys about mistakes here and there. Its the honesty, dynamism, vitality and funkiness of that performance that shines like so many others fail to do.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by speedticket View Post
    Peeps seem to be 'too' technically correct about Mixing.. Techno's about 'not giving a F^%k' and going full force. So what if parts are out? The whole mood and feel of that mix totally overpowered any technicalities in the mixing, infact it even aded to it.
    QFT and Word.

This CD is one of very few that makes it possible to feel like your in that room with the people, in front of those speakers. Critiqing the mixing misses the point lads.

BOA Lifetime Member

Absolut classic that is..Listened twice a day to that when it came out..
    POLITICALLY INCORRECT AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Junior Freak

all about the energy for me too that mix..
    ..curious why so many people seem to slag off Exhibitionist though - as a showcase for techno I think it's a good one - funky into hard, ok not so much variety in loops but so many people seem to slate it..is it because you're expecting another liquid rooms or?

BOA Lifetime Member

Underwhelmed on every level.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer View Post

Any chump can do that and its easy.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by AcidTrash View Post
    Any chump can do that and its easy.
    the concept of 'trolling' is lost on this man - you're supposed to pretend to be someone else when you do it not log as yourself!!!! ;-)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast