Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

Thats my opinion and I stick by it.

BOA Lifetime Member

Fair enough.

A bit like going to the tate modern and saying "its all bollocks, I could do that"

Its an opinion...

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace View Post
    Fair enough.

A bit like going to the tate modern and saying "its all bollocks, I could do that"

Its an opinion...

LOL. Im not going to start a flame thread on this. There are more things deserving of my time than the merits of Jeff Mills.

I just think its all a bit emporers new clothes. Really nothing to write home about.

Any time ive bought a record of that ilk, or jeff mills tune its been a pretty uninspiring loop where you're not against the clock for a feature in the records and all he's doing in the vid is fast mixing with that kind of record which as I said, any chump can do.

As for doing things with the same record, jesus, any two identical records have phse shifting flanges and it even more likely you're going to get offbeat phrases out of them when theyre just loop tech house.

As for phasing dynamics, thats the whole point of DJ'ing is it not? Its the reason we dont just make a loop on a drum machine, turn it on and leave it.

Really nothing special. Seen as good if not better in back rooms of village halls and in my own living room when any DJ pop[ing in for a cup of tea cared to grace my decks.

No big deal, get over it.

BOA Lifetime Member

No worries.

Some people think mondrian is just a bunch of squares (could do it with a ruler) and pollocks is just paint splats (made a mess on my floor that looked better)

Its an opinion...

BOA Lifetime Member

Oh and by the way, if you went into the tate and looked at say a Jackson pollock and said, thats shit, I could do that you'd be talking shit. Some chump with two or three record players... really.... no big deal.

Two slightly out of phase records does interesting shit. ANy one of us here could get the same effect.

Banned

maybe i should post up some of my first mixes under old pseuodynm Bear Davros

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by Aratron View Post
    Davros
    i fukin knew it was you abusing me on banging tunes!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
    i fukin knew it was you abusing me on banging tunes!!!
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: shit!!! ya got me dude!!!

sorry about that!! in the past eh???

Deceptacon

:angry: :hissyfit: :lol:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
    :angry: :hissyfit: :lol:
    water under the bridge

BOA Lifetime Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: shit!!! ya got me dude!!!

sorry about that!! in the past eh???

BRILLIANT!!!!

Ultimate Freak

absolutely brilliant mix, one of my first proper techno mixes too and a massive influence to me when i was learning to mix techno

bollocks to getting it exactly beat timed, i loved the energy of that mix and still do, cut'n'pasted all over the shop, lovely, you can virtually feel the people bouncing off the ceiling

unfortunately every time ive seen mills live he's played more or less the same set, still enjoyed it though
    Myspace here

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by theledge View Post
    absolutely brilliant mix, one of my first proper techno mixes too and a massive influence to me when i was learning to mix techno

bollocks to getting it exactly beat timed, i loved the energy of that mix and still do, cut'n'pasted all over the shop, lovely, you can virtually feel the people bouncing off the ceiling

unfortunately every time ive seen mills live he's played more or less the same set, still enjoyed it though
    have you got a copy of this mix. has anyone i would really like to hear it for myself.

i have only seen him play on a youtube video and he played live with this orchestra. im sure you guys have probably seen it.
    i had a mix of his aswell which was very eclectic, technically brillaint and very creative. lost it tho.

Ultimate Freak

have you got a copy of this mix. has anyone i would really like to hear it for myself.

i have only seen him play on a youtube video and he played live with this orchestra. im sure you guys have probably seen it.
    i had a mix of his aswell which was very eclectic, technically brillaint and very creative. lost it tho.
    got it on cd, dunno if it still works it's been kicking about my room for years, i will try and scan it in this week sometime and let u know
    Myspace here

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by AcidTrash View Post
    Oh and by the way, if you went into the tate and looked at say a Jackson pollock and said, thats shit, I could do that you'd be talking shit. Some chump with two or three record players... really.... no big deal.

Two slightly out of phase records does interesting shit. ANy one of us here could get the same effect.
    you're the only one who's talking shite there son.

BOA Lifetime Member

I dont agree at all. Knowing when to stop when you have an infinite palette and getting colour balance right is one thing, especially when jusdging space and light but two ro at a pinch three record players with a bunch of records which meet a predefined criteria is really not much to write home about. It an experience I quickly tire of. Its musical plate spinnig to me. fun but overrated as an art. Prodcution on the other hand is one thing that doesnt necessarilty get better with practice. some people truly have the gift for it. others are just fakin it and sucking up the cred from the naieve. Myself included.

If you're referring to what I said about phase shifting and flanging, that';s just basic physics. it happens whether you're trying or not and chimps could do it.

Not even impressed by the speed of mixing. If you're skills are up to date then it should take no more than 10 second to match a format you're familiar with. as for the inaccurate chops... might be water walking to you but to me it sounds plain lazy.

BOA Lifetime Member

Its really simple.

A huge number of people who know a lot about music and performance and love techno think he's pretty special and they rate him highly. Thousands of other people love seeing him perform, and know nothing except that they think he's great.

You don't.

So yeaaaah, maybe we're all wrong.

Or maybe you just don't get it.

BOA Lifetime Member

Or as you keep saying, a person is intellignet, people are stupid and personality cults are never any measure of taste. For one who has not been mesmerised and watched from an analytical perspective I reserve the right to say I think its a load of toss and do not feel in any way diminished for not hearing more of it.

BOA Lifetime Member

Wouldn't say he's a personality cult.

He's a funny one though. Sometimes he's pretty rubbish, but when he gets it right its sublime and it honestly feels like he's channeling the spirit of techno - proper laugh out loud stunning stuff that takes over the whole crowd. Never quite been as wrenched about by a dj as I have seeing Mills.

Still pretty crushing when you go see him and he's toilet.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcidTrash View Post
    I dont agree at all. Knowing when to stop when you have an infinite palette and getting colour balance right is one thing, especially when jusdging space and light but two ro at a pinch three record players with a bunch of records which meet a predefined criteria is really not much to write home about. It an experience I quickly tire of. Its musical plate spinnig to me. fun but overrated as an art. Prodcution on the other hand is one thing that doesnt necessarilty get better with practice. some people truly have the gift for it. others are just fakin it and sucking up the cred from the naieve. Myself included.

If you're referring to what I said about phase shifting and flanging, that';s just basic physics. it happens whether you're trying or not and chimps could do it.

Not even impressed by the speed of mixing. If you're skills are up to date then it should take no more than 10 second to match a format you're familiar with. as for the inaccurate chops... might be water walking to you but to me it sounds plain lazy.
    LOL LOL LOL

Coming from somebody who referred to his acid techno as 'Mediocre' in an earlier post

You flatter yourself!
    Techno is a journey, not a race!

http://soundcloud.com/force

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast