Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

Default Production Methods?

just wondering which methods you use when producing a track.

i.e.

get all the percussion in order, then work on synth, bass etc?

work on synth first?

try to finish in one session?

come back a week later and finialise things?

etc... etc...

i seem to layout the main body of percussion first, then work on bass and then work on all the details, i.e. synth, filters, other fxs, fills, edits etc..

how do you do it?
    Be Lucky!

Deceptacon

usually come up with a synth or bassline first then start working everything else around that..

normally like to finish the composition in 1 or 2 days then work on the mixdown after a days rest.. prefer to get everything done when its fresh in my head

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
    usually come up with a synth or bassline first then start working everything else around that..

normally like to finish the composition in 1 or 2 days then work on the mixdown after a days rest.. prefer to get everything done when its fresh in my head

pretty much howi do things. Do try to get a basic arrangement in a day. 2nd day to add fills and rework bits i feel don't work then another few hours to mix it down. But defo helps to have a couple of days rest before mixing down and come back with a fresh head. Usually do some final amendments to arrangement then too.

BOA Lifetime Member

I used to start with the bottom end, and then work up.
    Now I try not to work any regular method.
    After reading much Eno methodology and stockhausen, xanakis, I try to start with something I wouldn`t normally each time.
    Methodology breeds repetition and stagnation.

I would advise anyone to shake things up now and again.

Start with the hats, leave the kick till last, or start with a Pad.
    Don`t even make techno, make something else completely then at the last stage mould what you have into a techno framework.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass View Post
    Don`t even make techno, make something else completely then at the last stage mould what you have into a techno framework.
    i really like that idea, have done it a couple of times, need to do it more.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass View Post
    I used to start with the bottom end, and then work up.
    Now I try not to work any regular method.
    After reading much Eno methodology and stockhausen, xanakis, I try to start with something I wouldn`t normally each time.
    Methodology breeds repetition and stagnation.

I would advise anyone to shake things up now and again.

Start with the hats, leave the kick till last, or start with a Pad.
    great idea steve, gonna give this a try.
    Be Lucky!

BOA Lifetime Member

the minute you start laying "rules" the minute it all falls apart in my opinion. Open up a synth, start playing. Open up a sine wave, start making a bass, start making a kick. Get some new loops, chop em up, crush em down, slice them and rearrange them into something totally new.

I cant stand people who use templates too i have to say, well not the person obviously haha but the method i.e just swapping the parts for each track and keeping that same mix dynamic on every tune. Easily the laziest approach to production. If you cant build up a track from total scratch each time, your simply not producing

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

yeah when ever i've made tracks i've always changed the way i work, i always found if i started with the same parts and worked in the same way my sound stayed the same and never changed
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

BOA Mod

What they all said!

plus

dont listen to them

dont listen to techno

get a microphone and start sampling!

Junior Freak

I try and start off with an idea, either a method of doing things or what you want the track to be like. It might not end up anything like that but it helps.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by eyeswithoutaface View Post
    the minute you start laying "rules" the minute it all falls apart in my opinion. Open up a synth, start playing. Open up a sine wave, start making a bass, start making a kick. Get some new loops, chop em up, crush em down, slice them and rearrange them into something totally new.

I cant stand people who use templates too i have to say, well not the person obviously haha but the method i.e just swapping the parts for each track and keeping that same mix dynamic on every tune. Easily the laziest approach to production. If you cant build up a track from total scratch each time, your simply not producing
    im not on about templates, just diffrent ways poelpe put there tracks together, maybe people do just change their samples but in the same sequence and this is deffo lazy, im not on about that though...i just wanted to know about peoples diffrent methods? personal methods etc? weird maybe unusual shit you do when making tracks, stuff you picked up that you always put into your production?
    Be Lucky!

BOA Lifetime Member

never said you were on about templates mate, was just bringing that into the discussion because it seriously wicks me off and is the height of laziness :) Naughty Naughty people using templates

apart from the usual i try and keep any really good tricks up my sleeve :)

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by eyeswithoutaface View Post
    never said you were on about templates mate, was just bringing that into the discussion because it seriously wicks me off and is the height of laziness :) Naughty Naughty people using templates

apart from the usual i try and keep any really good tricks up my sleeve :)

ha ha...not even a little peek? :)
    Be Lucky!

Banned

Be creative - do things differently, but beware! dont do it that much that you loose your vision you had in the first place :)

Deceptacon

are we talking about templates of tunes or DAW templates..

cause if its DAW templates then theres nothing wrong with having your sampler loaded up and your fave synths loaded etc.. no differant to having your studio already wired. (and who in there right mind would re-wire their hardware everytime theey write a new track.

also i'll usually have my sends/fx channels on my template..

but if we're talking about having sequences already templated then i agree its pointless and counter-productive.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by christian wagner View Post
    Be creative - do things differently, but beware! dont do it that much that you loose your vision you had in the first place :)
    good point
    Be Lucky!

BOA Lifetime Member

well to me even having a template such as that with everything already to go just isnt right, in my opinion of course. I just dont feel it instigates intuitiveness or originality, i feel opening a project with all your favourite things in ready to go is counter productive and just, even little by little, sap's the natural human thirst for progression, development and the need for learning. Providing your the kind of person who has this instilled in them from the start of course. I for one dont want to use the same sends/returns on every track, or have the same effects applied on certain elements such as a synth, that's just not how i work, some synths get totally different treatment than others etc etc but i did mainly mean people who literaly just swap their samples around. It's becoming evermore obvious who does this.

it may seem odd but i dont want to hear 3, 4 identikit tracks on a record in terms of mix and the dynamics, 3 tracks which peak in the same places, have the exact same frequency range, exact same dynamic range etc etc, which is why i always start every single track from scratch, including my sends/returns, samplers etc everything, fresh palette every single time. That's just me, that's how i've always done it and it keeps thing's fresh for me

And of course people start afresh with hardware on every track. Mike Parker is known for not using a computer to program and uses analogue gear that he has to load up every session and work's on his track's until he has a finished track per session, cant save a thing, which i personally think is amazing i could only imagine the kind of creativity that must force out of you, i give every track 100% as it is but that is something else. Props to him

Deceptacon

so you're basically saying that you dont have a sampler loaded up in your synth rack ready to go?
    seems a little pointless seeing as you're going to load it up anyway :whoops: . basically thats just wasting time isnt it?

and y not have your sends and returns loaded up? surely most of us at this stage realise that its better to stick to 2/3 good reverb/delay etc rather than having a disk full of crap freebies! so whats wrong with having say your waves rverb loaded and ready to go as your send reverb.. its not as if rverb is limited in the sound that can be gotten out of it. and its not exactly hard to change a send to a differant plug-in is it?

BOA Lifetime Member

read my post back. I never once said DONT have your sends and other stuff loaded up. I said it's not productive for ME. It's not wasting time at all, but using that method, if i dont need to use a sampler on a track and its loaded when i open my software, then isnt having to get rid of it wasting time too? ;)

it has nothing to do with whatever "level" your at, no one here is at a level as to insinuate that having to sit down for a few mins extra and have another think about using something fresh is going to somehow impede our progress in the techno world mate. I think outside the box of just concentrate on 2/3 certain effects. I'm much happier to concentrate on 5, 6, 7 different variations of 1 effect. What's crap freebies got to do with anything? I very, very rarely use Waves rverb, an amazing plugin of course, but i tend to use my Timeworks and DSP effects more so, i find them more original and better for my tastes.

there's no argument for or against either techniques, to say it's not hard to change a send to a plugin is correct. I never said it wasnt. But on the same hand, it's not exactly hard to just load thing's up as and when needed. Like i say i start every track with a totally blank canvass. Then i go from there, that's just how i prefer it, wether or not i have to spend a whole 30 seconds each time i start a new track loading up an effect really doesnt take much away from the final product

Deceptacon

take a chill pill scott.. im asking you personally why you do it that way to try and ascertain your reasons.. it wasnt a rhetorical question:)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast