Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

Default A winge of sorts.

This place used to be fantastic as a great place for learning and critical disection.
    All I seem to see now is the following comments.

Great tune mate!!!!
    Very Professional!!!

etc

When really there`s a lot of stuff that`s not pro at all.
    Now I know it`s a bit moany, but no one seems to be learning anything much.

there used to be a fairly rapid learning curve in this place with peoples productions getting critiqued and then coming back with noticable improvement.

I don`t see that any more. It seems like a lot of peeps are treading water, and meerly posting for props.

So yeah, it is me moaning, and pissing on the chips again, but it`s about time there was a good critique process back in here, and some kind of drive for improvement.

I don`t really bother commenting at all about productions in here any more, cos most people get offended at production critique, and it seems all the old school people (in BOA temrs) who used to help out by doing the same, feel the same as me (ie DSP, X5, Jay, Scot etc).

Now I`m not getting involved with this side of the forum any more, but c`mon peeps, there needs to be a proper discussion in here about production.
    Artist communities are there to encourage improvement, and say the harsh things needed, that your mates can`t.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Junior Freak

i agree with you

but many people dont have Knowledge to make a good critic

i totally understand you ,

one day ze migl give a review of one of my tracks in his forum, the way he tell me the errors on the track and what i shoud improve was amazing and very constructive , thats what whe want when whe post tracks on foruns

the xperts on the forum have to be more active :)

i allways like to see your reviews dirty bass , i hope you can review my future tracks

BOA Lifetime Member

agree 100% mate, which is exactly why i dont post my comments anymore, it's just not worth it, as some people just are not as humble as they like to think they are, and genuinely helpful, critical analysis just seems to offend some people as it goes in one ear and out of the other

so i stick to giving comments on tracks and music people actually ask me too, and gladly too. I also get any critique im after in this way too as if i posted on here i can kinda tell i wont get in depth feedback which i strive for, which i get from people like yourself on msn and what not

i still however check most of the stuff posted here, and there are a few people who have brilliant production so its good to see some people still learning and cracking on

the production forum is where i get's most of me help these days

The Demon Beast

Then do something about it, critique people then. If you don't like the way something is then do your part to change it. Instead of complaining about it. If it's so much better to get critique on Msn then do what you gotta do there why shit on what goes on around here, like it is a crime to like what you hear, everyone hears different flaws. If you think something needs critique around here then open your mouth and say so, you guys have no issues voicing your opinions elsewhere.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by SummerOfSam View Post
    Then do something about it, critique people then. If you don't like the way something is then do your part to change it. Instead of complaining about it. If it's so much better to get critique on Msn then do what you gotta do there why shit on what goes on around here, like it is a crime to like what you hear, everyone hears different flaws. If you think something needs critique around here then open your mouth and say so, you guys have no issues voicing your opinions elsewhere.
    literaly couldnt of scripted it better

The Demon Beast

Don't be facetious Scot seriously If you don't like something stop complaining and do something about it, instead of crying like children about how f*cked up something is.
    Wetworks

BOA Lifetime Member

firstly, i wasnt complaining. I was in agreement with someone, the initial post came from steve...

secondly, not at all, but once again the whole point of steve's initial post has gone way over your head mate. Undeniably, the whole root of the post is steve's obvious frustration at the fact he's tried to do something about it, many, many times, as have myself, Chris, Steve (Casual) among others, but to pretty much no avail. I'd personally have to use Brad as a good example of someone however who has got his head around constructive criticism as i think its fair to say when he was first posting tracks he didnt always take the critique in the best way, but once he realised it's valuable help and started to take it on board, particulary help steve gave him, then this how helped alot and his production has clearly come on a whole lot, obviously this is mainly down to his hard work but undoubtedly these things play a part

it doesnt matter who said the initial comment but this place is alot different to how it used to be in terms of the help that can be mustered. Im far too busy these days unfortunately to spend as much time here as i'd like to actually make a difference, but it would be nice to think there was some fresh blood coming through who thought on similiar wavelenghts when it came to production

The Demon Beast

See that's your problem no one was f*ckin talking to you to begin with, and you chimed in on what I said, I got the point in what Steve was sayin' homeboy. I wasn't even talking to you, so go do something with yourself instead of trying to sniff a carcass everytime I post in disagreement with your jedi master. As far as Brad is concerned I think it's his dilligence and practice over time that has been his benefactor, I should know.
    Wetworks

BOA Lifetime Member

Don't be facetious Scot seriously If you don't like something stop complaining and do something about it, instead of crying like children about how f*cked up something is.
    ahh right, i must of got confused then when i read that, obviously not aimed at me....

you may have got the point but you've done nothing except back up the initial post. This is just a discussion about giving constructive crit and your off like a firecracker as they say

as for Brad, i was actually praising him there, and its not about know's what. It's about what is evident, and i fail to believe he hasnt gained any help from here.

Just like us all

and steve wishes he was my Jedi Master. And i mean, wishes.

The Demon Beast

Quote Originally Posted by eyeswithoutaface View Post
    literaly couldnt of scripted it better
    Oh you mad cause I'm stylin' on you.
    Goin' off like a firecracker?
    Scott you ain't got the powder to get me crackin' anymore homeboy.
    But the dedication to Brad thread is great promo for him, Golf Clap.
    Wetworks

BOA Lifetime Member

Oh you mad cause I'm stylin' on you.
    Goin' off like a firecracker?
    Scott you ain't got the powder to get me crackin' anymore homeboy.
    But the dedication to Brad thread is great promo for him, Golf Clap.
    well of course, anyone who puts in effort and make's noticable improvements like Brad deserves a heads up for sure

The Demon Beast

That's what I tell Brad Daily.
    Wetworks

BOA Lifetime Member

That's what I tell Brad Daily.
    whose Brad Daily?

BOA Lifetime Member

Well, I'm quite flattered be half the topic at hand here. While I do agree that I've definitely learned from people being constructive with giving me advice; I also think that music is a constant learning process for everyone. Steve..DB he has helped me quite a bit with mixdown especially back when I first started posting on BOA. Although my ear remains less critical than his still because he has loads more experiance with mastering and engineering music in general. So I can't always offer the same level of advice that some people can.

But I also think sometimes when people post critique...it's sometimes just opinion. Because we all hear and see things from a differant point of view. One persons opinion will varie from another. One might say needs more Bass, one might say...needs more highs about the very same tune.

I think a persons views on mastering is a matter of ones perceptions in what they want to hear too. Frankly if all things were mastered exactly the same value, wouldn't that make music overall less dynamic? Because maybe one person who writes a tune will intend it to sound a certain way....want certain elements to stick out more than others, then somebody else might have a totally differant idea of what sound they wish to achieve. I think having that variation is kind of nice.

I mean obviously if something is shit it's shit....No doubt about that. And truly while I do think mastering and mixdown is extremely important...I think some focus too much on that rather than the content of their music. Which is sad to me frankly.....

I mean...you can have the clearest sound of a pin dropping on the ground, but does that make it good music?
    Last edited by messanger; 16-06-2007 at 12:31 AM.

Ultimate Freak

Chill out peeps!
    I agree with Steve here.. I will get back into listening to tracks.
    Just been in my own little world lately and I apologize for that, and haven't been reading boa as much.
    I will check in here more often and try to listen to things. If by any means someone wants me to listen to something directly send me a PM and it will hit my email... much faster than me remembering to check the forum.

We need a bit of a re-kindling of the flame so to speak. It used to be wicked in here..
    Personally I haven't been making much lately so that probably accounts for my end :)

Ultimate Freak

PS
    We don't need to have flame wars in here either guys...
    Not going to help out anyone's production.

The Demon Beast

Quote Originally Posted by messanger View Post
    Well, I'm quite flattered be half the topic at hand here. While I do agree that I've definitely learned from people being constructive with giving me advice; I also think that music is a constant learning process for everyone. Steve..DB he has helped me quite a bit with mixdown especially back when I first started posting on BOA. Although my ear remains less critical than his still because he has loads more experiance with mastering and engineering music in general. So I can't always offer the same level of advice that some people can.

But I also think sometimes when people post critique...it's sometimes just opinion. Because we all hear and see things from a differant point of view. One persons opinion will varie from another. One might say needs more Bass, one might say...needs more highs about the very same tune.

I think a persons views on mastering is a matter of ones perceptions in what they want to hear too. Frankly if all things were mastered exactly the same value, wouldn't that make music overall less dynamic? Because maybe one person who writes a tune will intend it to sound a certain way....want certain elements to stick out more than others, then somebody else might have a totally differant idea of what sound they wish to achieve. I think having that variation is kind of nice.

I mean obviously if something is shit it's shit....No doubt about that. And truly while I do think mastering and mixdown is extremely important...I think some focus too much on that rather than the content of their music. Which is sad to me frankly.....

I mean...you can have the clearest sound of a pin dropping on the ground, but does that make it good music?
    Golf Clap, douchebag.
    Wetworks

BOA Lifetime Member

Golf Clap, douchebag.
    Is that regular or spring fresh Scented

The Demon Beast

Vinegar and woses
    Wetworks

Supreme Freak

its funny how things get heated in here.

reminds me of the "production methods?" thread in BOA production forum.

personally, i put my tunes up here for constructive critisism, i'm new to this game.

i feel comments/feedback help me enormously (good or bad)

however, i dont really think that i'm at the sort of level yet where i can be giving enormously helpful feedback to anyone else. i still have a long way to go myself.

i must admit, there arent a lot of people who comment regularly on my stuff, but the ones who do help me loads.

dirty bass> maybe if some of you old timers:; might shed some of your wisdom on our productions we might be able to improve faster and then be able to pass that on to others in the future.

anyhoo.

just thought i'd make me voice heard.

lets keep it nice peeps, no need to get all nasty at each other

alec
    Ah the glorious tunnock......chocolate......caramel....wafer.....a nd a grinning boy:lol:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast