Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Coulddn't agree more! I was completely gutted as I was un-decided whether to go to Glad again or Go to Antiworld! what a mistake. It seemed like it was run by a group of amateurs, they can't be ****ing up like that when people are paying £100 for a ticket! Just well gutted I'm missing Glade now! :-(
    I got an e-mail from glade yesterday, and they've got 1500 more tickets for sale, so they haven't sold out yet if thats the sticking point to not going
    Techno is a journey, not a race!

http://soundcloud.com/force

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by teknorich View Post
    More commercial lineups will always attract more people. That's the nature of the beast.
    for sure, but there are still plenty left for the less commercial stuff. A lot of folk just want to go out and have a good time and don't care what exact genre the music is as long as it's not cheesey commercial shite - i think a lot of people into techno forget that

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by TechMouse View Post
    Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeZOeTg5dDE

(But with better music obviously...)
    Yes Yes YES!!

I saw this, it was at the ExCel centre in London... I vowed to win the lottery:cheese:

Then outside there was a proper Judge Dredd style futuristic truck thing that was just one big ****off speaker pumping out hard techtrance.... WOW!

I've been on the rob ever since...:briggin:
    Strength in numbers...MySpace
    Music Links

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG View Post
    why oh why is techno so unrepresented over here. it drives me insane. i play in holland and 50,000 are dancing to miss djax and luke slater EACH weekend.
    Because this country, en masse, is in a cultural sewer where the vast majority of people are happy to be told what they like.

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by tOM B View Post
    i disagree with this, we work at 6 or 7 festivals every year and 90% of these are sold out - those that aren't are seeing increasing ticket sales every year
    Errrr... hang on a minute.

6 or 7 dance music festivals or general festivals?

I don't doubt there's a massive demand for Glastonbury, Reading, Isle of Wight and the like, but Glade is pretty much the only dance music exclusive residential festival of that kind of scale happening at the moment. To my knowledge anyway...

BOA Lifetime Member

I don't doubt there's a massive demand for Glastonbury, Reading, Isle of Wight and the like, but Glade is pretty much the only dance music exclusive residential festival of that kind of scale happening at the moment. To my knowledge anyway...
    You've got Sunrise celebration, Eastern Haze, Big chill, bestival, etc. I know they're not exclusively dance orientated but more of a nod in that direction.
    Techno is a journey, not a race!

http://soundcloud.com/force

Junior Freak

'general' festivals - but this is my point a festival is more than just the music, a lot of the shows we do have just as much dance music as any other type of music, but because they don't pin themselves down as being a 'dance festival' they attract a much greater audience - most of whom will end up having it to one form of dance music or another over the course of the weekend whether they knew they liked it before they came or not.

People buy into the whole experience of going to a festival - this is often more important than who is on the line up. Once they are there you can play them what you want (as long as it's good and fun) and they'll enjoy it. Billing yourself as a 'techno' festival or a 'trance' festival etc is inevitably going to reduce the amount of potential customers you appeal to. Why not just create a really good festival and play a lot of dance music at it???

Besides who wants to be at a festival where nothing but techno and trance gets played??? - variety is the spice of life, part of the joy of the experiance is coming accross something random you wouldn't have thought you'd have liked. This works the other way as well - people might turn up to see bands and leave loving dance music.

I'd also like to point out that we only really work events up to about 25 000 capacity, so i'm not talking your glastonbury's, isle of wight's, creamfields v, etc. There are plenty of smaller events that sell a lot of tickets
    Last edited by tOM B; 14-07-2007 at 07:00 PM.

BOA Mod

'general' festivals - but this is my point a festival is more than just the music, a lot of the shows we do have just as much dance music as any other type of music, but because they don't pin themselves down as being a 'dance festival' they attract a much greater audience - most of whom will end up having it to one form of dance music or another over the course of the weekend whether they knew they liked it before they came or not.

People buy into the whole experience of going to a festival - this is often more important than who is on the line up. Once they are there you can play them what you want (as long as it's good and fun) and they'll enjoy it. Billing yourself as a 'techno' festival or a 'trance' festival etc is inevitably going to reduce the amount of potential customers you appeal to. Why not just create a really good festival and play a lot of dance music at it???

Besides who wants to be at a festival where nothing but techno and trance gets played??? - variety is the spice of life, part of the joy of the experiance is coming accross something random you wouldn't have thought you'd have liked. This works the other way as well - people might turn up to see bands and leave loving dance music.

I'd also like to point out that we only really work events up to about 25 000 capacity, so i'm not talking your glastonbury's, isle of wight's, creamfields v, etc. There are plenty of smaller events that sell a lot of tickets
    heres a list

* Glastonbury
    * Carling Weekend Reading
    * Carling Weekend Leeds
    * V Festival Chelmsford
    * V Festival Staffordshire
    * Benicassim
    * Download
    * T in the Park
    * Isle of Wight
    * Oxegen
    * Wireless Festival - Leeds
    * Creamfields 2007
    * Latitude
    * Escape Into The Park
    * Rock-Ness
    * Hyde Park Calling
    * Ibiza Rocks
    * Haldern Pop
    * Jersey Live
    * Bestival
    * Sonar
    * Tower Music Festival
    * Roskilde
    * Cornbury Music Festival
    * Exit Festival
    * Fflam Festival
    * Guilfest
    * Fuji Rock
    * Lollapalooza
    * Endorse It In Dorset
    * Green Man
    * Get Loaded In The Park
    * The Full Ponty
    * Isle Of Skye Festival
    * Dot To Dot Festival
    * PinkPop
    * Wychwood
    * Wakestock Festival
    * Knowsley Hall Music Festival
    * Kent Music Festival
    * LoveBox Festival
    * Wireless Festival - Hyde Park
    * The Secret Garden Party
    * Indian Summer Festival
    * Truck Festival
    * Redbourn Festival
    * Lodestar

and there's loads missing off that aswell

was from nme's site. btw.
    Last edited by RDR; 14-07-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Junior Freak

Really?

Surely the fact that it was so woefully undersold is a pretty big indicator that the UK probably doesn't need another event like this.

If the demand was there then there wouldn't have been so many problems.
    I looked at the techno lineup and was seriously impressed... but it was Antiworld, who have always been a bunch of money-grabbing w*nkers who fail to pay people, over-fill venues and generally put on the most commercial, soulless parties around. They're despised in the psy trance scene because of this and because plenty of people have been screwed over through dealing with Enrico over the years - not being paid, venues having to close due to events involving AW crews, thousands of pounds going "missing" and so on.

Had this lineup been at any other festival there's no way I wouldn't have gone... but AW do have a bad reputation and plenty would've avoided it because of this. Plenty of people never got paid at their last big event at Alexandra Palace apparently, this was always going to be a disaster.

Apparently Ben Sims and DJ Preach were there... not quite the same as the full lineup!
    Vote techno party!

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by force View Post
    You've got Sunrise celebration, Eastern Haze, Big chill, bestival, etc. I know they're not exclusively dance orientated but more of a nod in that direction.
    Don't think any of those come anywhere close to 15,000 people, off the top of my head.

Even Glade is only 14,000 after being much less in previous years.

Parsnip

So you agree, there's no market for a pure Techno / Trance festival of that size - which is what I said in the first place.

Agreed, but none of them are pure EDM and they start small and work up.

Junior Freak

So you agree, there's no market for a pure Techno / Trance festival of that size - which is what I said in the first place.

Agreed, but none of them are pure EDM and they start small and work up.

i don't think it's a proper festival if it's pure techno/trance - it's more of a weekender (in my head) and i don't think there is the market for one on the 15,000 capacity scale.

I do think there is the market for an underground dance music festival on that scale though - just think that the emphasis needs to be on 'festival'

I completley think starting small is the way forward as i said earlier on in the thread it's crucial to earn your reputation

there are some other pure EDM festivals apart from the glade, as i said before the bloc weekend went really well; and there's waveform in september (but we'll wait and see how that goes

The thing about these things is there is just so much to think about and get right from the point of view of putting one on - i think if you spend years researching, planning and putting the effort it you stand much more chance of pulling it off rather than rushing headlong into it - which it looks like antiworld did

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by spiralx View Post
    I looked at the techno lineup and was seriously impressed... but it was Antiworld, who have always been a bunch of money-grabbing w*nkers who fail to pay people, over-fill venues and generally put on the most commercial, soulless parties around. They're despised in the psy trance scene because of this and because plenty of people have been screwed over through dealing with Enrico over the years - not being paid, venues having to close due to events involving AW crews, thousands of pounds going "missing" and so on.

Had this lineup been at any other festival there's no way I wouldn't have gone... but AW do have a bad reputation and plenty would've avoided it because of this. Plenty of people never got paid at their last big event at Alexandra Palace apparently, this was always going to be a disaster.

Apparently Ben Sims and DJ Preach were there... not quite the same as the full lineup!
    dont even thin k ben played in the end man. nor preach, but murphy stepped in for him and tore it up

the big pork pie

Sims deffo didn't play.

Junior Freak

I knew the "Antiworlds" website was a major WARNING............

BOA Lifetime Member

ive just got back from the exit festival and it was bloody awesome.

no noise restrictions on this one! :)

glad the antiworld went well anyway.
    \"if you don\'t explode a few heads every night, then you\'re not doing your job\" R.Hawtin IDJ 2001

BOA Lifetime Member

Mate - forgot to get you number!

Soz about that, hope you had a blinder.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Dogshit View Post
    ive just got back from the exit festival and it was bloody awesome.

no noise restrictions on this one! :)

glad the antiworld went well anyway.
    how ****in good was that????

personal highlights:
    witnessing the dance arena for the 1st time - wow
    danny tenaglia - wa wa wee wa
    terence fixmer on the obscure elektrana stage - brapp

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace View Post
    Mate - forgot to get you number!

Soz about that, hope you had a blinder.
    its right,im sure we'll cross paths...

too right i had a blinder,completely ridiculously good fun over 4 days. ill be back again next year 100%.

mooched about pretty much every stage but spent a lot of time at the elektrana and happynovi sad were they were hammering out the bangers. prodigy and basement jaxx were great too.

what about yourself?
    \"if you don\'t explode a few heads every night, then you\'re not doing your job\" R.Hawtin IDJ 2001

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattboyslim View Post
    how ****in good was that????

personal highlights:
    witnessing the dance arena for the 1st time - wow
    danny tenaglia - wa wa wee wa
    terence fixmer on the obscure elektrana stage - brapp

i have never quite raved in something as brilliant as that dance arena. sippin the cheap tuborgs with hawtin playing till the sun comes up. bliss.

only downside was the death train back into budapest...hell on earth.
    did you get involved in that debacle?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast