Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Default how to improve this section...

ok so here i was today checking out this forum. as usual, what incredible talent we have here.

now i would LOVE to have a thing where i could click ' i loved this track, and that track' this week and someone could see the results. ie you get someone here that you really respect the opinion of and you can check their fave filez.

hmmm one idea anyway. would also love to see it easier for producers to u/l their tracks. perhaps i have to work on this.

also maybe a section where we could all have a go at remixing other ppl's tracks we like. mastering or remixing. hmmm..

i would also like to make this section more into something that the ppl who really are serious about making tunes can see. ie make it a little less public ie more of a producer thing.. perhaps you have to post before you can see the posts??? i dunno...

ok more thoughts you guys!!!

Deceptacon

i think another mod. someone who'd be here a lot more.. no disrespect to dan but a lot of tracks get posted and one person cant be expected to do all the work. also the site needs to lead by example.. as you saw today mark.. a little enthusiasm from you got a few others posting and commenting.. myself included.

i'd personally be willing to mod this section for the site.. modding isnt something i'd be interested in for any other part but this forum area is special to me as its brought me along from near beginnings and id like to give back something..

just an idea.

Supreme Freak

Ok, what about a BOA ftp server? Just for BOA members? Also, like you say, if people can't be arsed to comment, what about a rating system? Have you ever been on Infexious.net? Maybe you could make like a ''projects'' forum, where we can all upload part finished tracks and what not, and where people can collaberate? Anyway, answer my pm! Or don't, I guess its up to you?!

Administrator

i am shit at pm's mate hehehe info@blackoutaudio.co.uk :)

ok gonna address all the comments here once everything's posted..

we need a new mod for sure...

chrissi and i are talking here. ok we need a purpose to the whole thing. something that makes it worth while us all getting excited about each others music.

perhaps we could make a new boa label.. a digital thing. ok when we find a great track here we put it out on boa digital. 'boa audio out'. we put it up on the site shop and all the digital shops. the producer gets 75% of the money made. it's an idea eh...

The Demon Beast

rhythm tech would be a great mod around here, especially that he is vocal, fair and knows what he is talking about.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG View Post
    i am shit at pm's mate hehehe info@blackoutaudio.co.uk :)

ok gonna address all the comments here once everything's posted..

we need a new mod for sure...

chrissi and i are talking here. ok we need a purpose to the whole thing. something that makes it worth while us all getting excited about each others music.

perhaps we could make a new boa label.. a digital thing. ok when we find a great track here we put it out on boa digital. 'boa audio out'. we put it up on the site shop and all the digital shops. the producer gets 75% of the money made. it's an idea eh...
    well mate, to be fair, we've all been getting excited over each others music in this section for years now, and your very,very rarely on here. You just happen to have come on at a time when its slacked off a bit or gone a little one directional and assumed a little that its like this all the time i think. It used to be amazing in this section, but over the past year or so its just the same things getting said without much actual constructive, technical feedback.

There has however been some great, great tracks being posted. Their are a couple of people here who have developed more in literaly a year than some others have in literaly 5 years, which i find amazing.

I really dont think anything needs changing here, certainly not a polling idea, that doesnt really give the producer any feedback or information that they wont be harnessing from peoples personal comments anyway, and if anything it would just induce laziness with more and more people opting to just give it a quick vote instead of a detailed crit, in my opinion. I think this place is fine as it is, because, and everyone can argue the toss here, there are still definately some people on here who dont know how to take constructive criticism the right way, and for that reason it doesnt get posted (not much anyway) and i dont see what changes could be implemented that would have any difference really, plus the majority of people speak on msn about this stuff alot more than on here, i find anyway

Deceptacon

Scott, everything you've just said is EXACTLY why it needs to change..

if people see critcism being given out on a regular basis then they'll realise they need to grow a tough skin..

we need to get people thinking "what can i do to make this better" rather than "what you think of my finished track"

msn is good but it doesnt help anyone besides the 2 involved in the conversation.

like i said in my previous post, i learned a lot from BOA, from posting my own tracks and reading advice given to others, and it really helped my production.. thats how this area should be again.

BOA Newbie

A ratings chart system could be very cool... also a mastering/remix exchange.

BOA Lifetime Member

rating chart system is the worst idea, imo.

i know i am not too constructive, but i dont have any other idea, than let this section live its own life...
    I didnot post many comments lately, but i will do over weekend...
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
    -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc

Supreme Freak
    Around the back of the third moon off Tyrisia

Mark, I think the most constructive thing I could suggest has already been done, with regards to saying to people who's tracks are of a good enough quality to release "right, that's good, I'll play it on the radio show".

That sort of exposure is exactly what all the guys here working so hard need, and would be a great incentive to us all. Maybe a regular BOA newcomers spot where the top three tracks of the month get played, maybe more, I don't know how much time you could allocate on the show? A bit of competition can really bring the best out in people, maybe this could lead onto BOA digital releases?

BOA Lifetime Member

To be honest, over the years, we`ve been through all of this.
    We don`t need any more mods, because this section doesn`t need modding really.
    And when the mods took a more active role, it made very little difference anyway. We`ve had just about everything go on in here over the years.
    Group remixes, stickies of various types to encourage interaction, it`s all been here, and slowly died a death.
    Ratings, yeuch, horrible, just turns it into a horrible top of the pops chart system, prone to abuse as well.
    All this place needs is more activity, and more communication, and the problem there is that most of the people with good production knowledge to assist with critique have pretty much left the site or don`t have time, so there`s a lot of newer less experienced people here posting.
    It`s these people who need to get together and help each other and communicate more with each other, just like we were all doing, about 4-5 years ago.
    I think some of the problem is that the point of view of the whole techno section has become more narrow minded, as talk generally centres around the same sub genre of techno mostly, and this is reflected now in the reduction in diversity within this sub section.
    The abandonment of the forum by a lot of people who used to post in the dark forum was the beginning of this.

I would say some kind of hosting area would be handy, to stop people having to use fileshare sites.
    I have little time to contribute to this section now, and when I do go through, if the files aren`t hosted somewhere I can stream the audio from file, rather than go through the laborious process of dealing with horrors like sendspace, then I just don`t bother.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Deceptacon

firstly we do need a dedicated mod..
    whats going to get people posting other than other people posting?

the style of music has nothing to do with it either.. so what if there seems to be one or two perticular styles getting posted.. perhaps this is due to popularity?

theres plenty of people on here with enough production knowledge to help out.. the ones that dont post anymore just dont poast. so what? if the truth be told NONE of us are 100% at production.. we can all read articles on the web about how this or that is the correct method but at the end of the day we're all on a learning curve. this applies to the top rpoducers in the world as well as the absolute beginner.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
    firstly we do need a dedicated mod..
    whats going to get people posting other than other people posting?

the style of music has nothing to do with it either.. so what if there seems to be one or two perticular styles getting posted.. perhaps this is due to popularity?

theres plenty of people on here with enough production knowledge to help out.. the ones that dont post anymore just dont poast. so what? if the truth be told NONE of us are 100% at production.. we can all read articles on the web about how this or that is the correct method but at the end of the day we're all on a learning curve. this applies to the top rpoducers in the world as well as the absolute beginner.
    We have 2 mods, both of which were very dedicated, and it made no odds, why add another?
    3 mods to do what?
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass View Post
    We have 2 mods, both of which were very dedicated, and it made no odds, why add another?
    3 mods to do what?
    well x-five doesnt really post here much anymore. and that leaves it all down to 1.. cant see how you can say that we dont need one.. even mark is in agreement there.

BOA Lifetime Member

Yeah but mark hardly is very active in this place.
    I know you really really wanna be a mod, but what exactly are you wanting to do here that would require a Mod exactly?
    There`s far too many mods on BOA anyway, it`s totally unecessary.
    Last edited by dirty_bass; 13-07-2007 at 03:05 PM.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Deceptacon

I know you really really wanna be a mod, here .
    you're great at assuming things arent you steve?

what we need in here is someone to try to conteract the negativity coming from certain directions, your direction being one of them ie
    "I think some of the problem is that the point of view of the whole techno section has become more narrow minded, as talk generally centres around the same sub genre of techno mostly, and this is reflected now in the reduction in diversity within this sub section"

so i offered to do it for mark.. i really couldnt care less who he picks as its just a drain on my time if he wanted me to do it. but i figured the site had given me so much i might aswell offer to give back instead of constantly running around moaning about the state of techno today as some people do.

BOA Lifetime Member

My negative input in here is what keeps my email box filled with people asking me for an honest opinion about production stuff I guess.

but you still haven`t really said what another mod would do in here,.

And there is nothing negative about pointing out observations.
    It`s true, we have lost a lot of people to some other forums, I see them in other places now, and most felt like they were barking up the wrong tree as this place got very clubby/acid oriented, and lacking in diversity.
    What`s negative about that?
    I`m saying we need more diversity, which is a POSITIVE thing.

Now how is a mod going to do this?

Put up some more sticky`s?
    Some competitions?
    Remixes for your record label?

It`s all been done in the last 4 years man, this place is cyclic and will pick up, it`s just dull this time of year, as people have better things to do.
    I don`t actually think anything needs to be done.
    the production section backs this place up nicely for more hardcore technique, and this is a good place to place your tracks for criticism.
    If anything we just need a little sticky saying
    "please check your ego when posting a track, if you don`t want any critical statements, don`t place your tracks in a forum where they can be critiqued"
    Other than that, it`s all gravey in here.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Deceptacon

My negative input in here is what keeps my email box filled with people asking me for an honest opinion about production stuff I guess.
    well aint that great for you..

but i personally know at least 7/8 people that arent bothered posting up here because of YOUR small minded comments about their production.. if it doesnt fit steve's idea of whats "diverse" or "differant" then its obvioulsy just another davethedrummer clone.

im not getting into a slagging match but this is a fact.

and if any of those people wish to comment then go ahead.. they know who they are.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
    well aint that great for you..

but i personally know at least 7/8 people that arent bothered posting up here because of YOUR small minded comments about their production.. if it doesnt fit steve's idea of whats "diverse" or "differant" then its obvioulsy just another davethedrummer clone.
    that`s crap.
    I very rarely make any comments about content.
    In fact I very very very rarely post in here.

Content is subjective, and down to taste.
    I post about production.
    And I`m very blunt about production technique, which does offend some people with fragile egos.
    But then, tough, don`t post stuff up expecting nothing but a pat on the back.
    If anyone doesn`t post because of my critique it says more about them than it does about me, my opinion on subjective terms is just my opinion.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Deceptacon

if its crap then why are these people not posting anymore?

i know you've blasted quite a few fatcollective tracks b4 yet these tracks go on to get released on big labels.. weird how that works eh?

good music is just goos music.. the public buy the records no matter what you or i say about them on hereand the public have bought many of the fatcollectives records..

if, like you claim, content is subjective, then how is comparing a certain style to another producers "all about production"?

you only need to look over your older posts to see this happening.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast