Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

that "Registry Check" ep on Klickhaus is meant to be wikid *wink wink nudge nudge*

haha in all seriousness minimal is what you make of it, if you like it great, if you dont, that's fine too, the world isnt going to end because a few people dont like a certain genre. People's perceptions of minimal are so different according to their influences too, as stated minimal can incorporate anything from Maurizio to Jeff Samuel right through to Mika Vaiino, from ultra glitchy, micro house like Akufen to linear, looping, hypnotic Mike Parker records, it's all good

Supreme Freak
    Around the back of the third moon off Tyrisia

Quote Originally Posted by eyeswithoutaface View Post
    that "Registry Check" ep on Klickhaus is meant to be wikid *wink wink nudge nudge*
    haha, yeah mate, I already have, and I do quite like it, I remember seeing the Hawtin clip posted on youtube with him playin it, well done.

Some of the stuff I'm findin is great actually, 2000 and One - Pak Pak, what a tune. I'm likin the deep druggy feel to that one, I know it strictly ain't minimal, but it's good.

BOA Lifetime Member

2000 and one is quality, one of my favourites.

I still play Get Down a lot. And Funk That / Freak That.

BOA Lifetime Member

Some other names: Trentemoeller, Stephan Bodzin..

Supreme Freak

well it's actually a total find I got whilst searching youtube for Hawtin vids, someone named a tune from a Timewarp Hawtin clip. I shall be lookin into his stuff more, he seems to be on the mark.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by loopdon View Post
    Some other names: Trentemoeller, Stephan Bodzin..
    Cool, I'll look into those as well Loopdon :)

BOA Lifetime Member

my personal fave is Stewart Walker, absolutely stunning tracks, more so old skool minial techno than the new "mnml" hehe but great production, amazing ear for melody the whole lot. Love it

on the more mnml tip definately Tim and Camea are up there at the moment, they have a really good tough but still minimal sound going on, as does Tony Rohr and Inside Out. Other faves include Akufen, Franco Cangelli, Sutekh, Mike Parker and on the more detroit/minimal tip Deep Chord, Convextion, Stinkworx.

BOA Newbie

+1 Stewart Walker. Also check out Geoff White, he's done a split album with S. Walker, Discord, amazing record.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by eyeswithoutaface View Post
    my personal fave is Stewart Walker, absolutely stunning tracks, more so old skool minial techno than the new "mnml" hehe but great production, amazing ear for melody the whole lot. Love it

on the more mnml tip definately Tim and Camea are up there at the moment, they have a really good tough but still minimal sound going on, as does Tony Rohr and Inside Out. Other faves include Akufen, Franco Cangelli, Sutekh, Mike Parker and on the more detroit/minimal tip Deep Chord, Convextion, Stinkworx.
    Cheers dude, that's a great list of stuff to check, I can see myself being pretty skint by the end of the day with all these names to look up :)

BOA Lifetime Member

god yeah forgot about Geoff White, he's done some amazing records. Naughty me

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace View Post
    If you haven't already - check out claro intellecto and andy stott.

There's a sound out there that I hear every now and again and I think "thats the future" but I've never heare more than a few snatches here and there. Frustrating, but at least some people are pushing something.... there's gems out there...
    yes mate!!!

caught them at sonar. lovely stuff. was a modern love afternoon. miles played a blinder before. ended up booking him for my night on the spot

he's playing for us in october if anyone is interested

BOA Lifetime Member

Yeah I was there for Sonar! That was awesome, best music I heard all festival to be honest.

You booked them through kinetic? Was considering getting them down next year. Where's your night Matt?

BOA Lifetime Member

"The other is this "mnml" stuff that's floating around a lot, which to me sounds like what they used to call "Click House". Which is actually pretty complex and intricate but uses very tiny little clicky and blippy noises compressed to buggery. A great example of the sound is Akufen. It has its moments, but I'm not a massive fan."

That seems waaaaaaaaaaayyy out of date to me. The whole Akufen, clicky thing was years back. Minimal now is generally more of a tech-house sound, or m-nus records style bleeps. Even some tougher stuff with the likes of Adam Beyer, Tim Xavier, Camea etc putting a more techno sound into it. A lot of variety under one umbrella term.
    Last edited by teknorich; 07-09-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace View Post
    Yeah I was there for Sonar! That was awesome, best music I heard all festival to be honest.

You booked them through kinetic? Was considering getting them down next year. Where's your night Matt?
    I booked Miles direct. only got him so far, but I'd like to bring them all down for a Modern Love showcase in a few months.
    Our night is in Nottingham. Currently 2nd Saturdays at Moog on newdigate Street, and soon a second, bigger party at igloo on Lower Parliament Street, on the 3rd Friday

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by teknorich View Post
    The whole Akufen, clicky thing was years back. Minimal now is generally more of a tech-house sound, or m-nus records style bleeps. Even some tougher stuff with the likes of Adam Beyer, Tim Xavier, Camea etc putting a more techno sound into it. A lot of variety under one umbrella term.
    I know, but I still don't find it particularly minimal.

Someone just mentioned Trentemoeller, who I actually quite like but is pretty far from minimal. I'd go so far as to use the word "complex".

BOA Lifetime Member

I mentioned him. I know what you mean. Not really minimal composition wise.
    He makes use of typical minimal techniques, though (?), say shortened hits etc., white noise sounds, crispy percs.. so and some tracks are ****in great so i gave him a mention.

Parsnip

Absolutely agree, he's typical of what I would call "mnml". And he's a better example than most.

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

like others have already metioned, minimal used to be about using the bare minimum of sounds, but keeping your attention by constantly evolving these sounds with automated effects.

Nowadays alot of minimal is more about using clicky noises, but anything that encourages more thought, more funk and more intelligent use of effects is good by me.

I've always found peace divison to be great at this
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

BOA Newbie

In my opinion, labeling techno is not a simple thing to do but I'll give it a go (and I don't want to be considered a purist at all!!).

The stuff wolfgang voigt did on Studio 1 was really wonderful. The 10 releases were edited between 1995 and 1997. Would recommend them for sure.

Again, it is hard to label sub-genres. I prefer to call it "techno made with diferent components, etc etc"

BOA Newbie

Check out Gaiser & Guido Schneider for how the "mnml" stuff should be done properly. Especially tracks from a year or so ago. Whatever the EP with "Egress" and "Pandrip" is called. "And Answer" that was it. Amazing. Bought two copies.

I'd also cite Monolake in with a lot of the first group. Very Basic Channel influenced, which is a good thing.

In fact, I'd be very pleased if anybody could point me in the direction of anything similar.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast