Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRADLEE View Post
    I dont know what you guys pay out there for all of the pressing and such, but here even with colored vinyl, it usually breaks down to about $2.50 US per record...Which is about 1 pound 25 pints for you guys right?

http://www.rainborecords.com/
    That`s outrageous, no wonder vinyl died in the states much quicker.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
    theres other factors involved ste.. dont wanna get into them here though.

lets just say i was left in the lurch my someone.
    sounds ominous, what happened there then? if someones done a wrong un in the scene its always better to let someone know so people can avoid working with them, this situation has cropped up a few times over the years on this board with various peeps

sorry to hear that by the way, never nice mate

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass View Post
    That`s outrageous, no wonder vinyl died in the states much quicker.
    How cheap can you get colored 12 inch vinyls out there for Steve???

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by eyeswithoutaface View Post
    sounds ominous, what happened there then? if someones done a wrong un in the scene its always better to let someone know so people can avoid working with them, this situation has cropped up a few times over the years on this board with various peeps

sorry to hear that by the way, never nice mate
    nothing to do with anyone involved with the scene m8

The Universe

distro ripped you?

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by MITA View Post
    distro ripped you?
    kinda.. more so my so called m8 who was in it with me..

but the distro didnt help.. their costs somehow got a lot higher than we'd previously discussed and now they're ignoring emails asking for up to date account statements.. so we'll see what happens
    :angry:

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRADLEE View Post
    How cheap can you get colored 12 inch vinyls out there for Steve???
    per unit? a lot less than £1.25

that link you sent did it for

500 VINYL 12" PACKAGE - $1,279.00 INCLUDES:
    Mastering, Full Processing, 2-color Labels, White Jackets with Hole, Test Pressings, White Inner Sleeve, Shrink-wrap.

Which even at a decent exchange rate, you could get the same deal, with cut at curve pusher, and decent vinyl for about the same, and you`d be getting a serious cut, rather than some generic process.
    Then you`d have to pay US import prices, which are evil, to say the least.
    And shipping.

Vinyl is a very shakey business model these days though, it`s why I`ve become so reluctant to get back into it all.
    At least for techno anyways.
    Last edited by dirty_bass; 20-02-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass View Post
    per unit? a lot less than £1.25

that link you sent did it for

500 VINYL 12" PACKAGE - $1,279.00 INCLUDES:
    Mastering, Full Processing, 2-color Labels, White Jackets with Hole, Test Pressings, White Inner Sleeve, Shrink-wrap.

Which even at a decent exchange rate, you could get the same deal, with cut at curve pusher, and decent vinyl for about the same, and you`d be getting a serious cut, rather than some generic process.
    Then you`d have to pay US import prices, which are evil, to say the least.
    And shipping.

Vinyl is a very shakey business model these days though, it`s why I`ve become so reluctant to get back into it all.
    At least for techno anyways.
    Well, no doubt about the business at the moment, but trends are changing it seems a bit too. Thanks for the info for sure though.

My homie actually used Rainbo just recently for pretty much the same deal you posted. And to be honest, the presses sound quite good, looks good, and have good weight to them.

Neither here nor there though.....

@ Baz, really sorry to hear that it was a so called friend man. That's worse than anything really. Hopefully the distro people will atleast get back with you too about the figures.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by A.P. View Post
    I was thinkin of takin Audioworx to vinyl sometime this year but it doesn't look to good right now the way things are in the scene does it mate.
    before you read this, this post isn't aimed at barry's label, its just a general comment on the vinyl scene which al is referring to. (just in case there's any misunderstandings) I don't know what the situation was with your distro, all though i'd be interested to see what you mean about costs. As as far as i know your distributor should be making money not costing money

It is a bit sketchy with vinyl at the moment, but you've just got to make sure it's a quality release. Also i think it helps to aim for more than one sub-genre so as not to narrow your potential target market too much.

Hopefully this toughness of sales will start to bring a bit of quality back into the vinyl market, which has been over-saturated with mediocre music as of late.

Labels must either realise they can't throw average records out or go bust.

The problem with the digital market is that due to the minimal running costs and low risk it's very over-saturated. There are some absolutely briliant digital only tracks & labels but it just also seems that for every one of those labels there's 10 sub-standard ones... but then i suppose it's always been like that with vinyl as well
    Also i'm not looking @ taste here i'm talking about production quality.

I really hope that the market doesn't become so tough that it becomes digital only.
    Joe Giacomet
    More Punk Than Funk

tel: +44 (0) 7840 289068
    email: info@morepunkthanfunk.com

web: www.giacomet.co.uk
    web: www.morepunkthanfunk.com

BOA Lifetime Member

I think once I get settled on the other side, I might give it a go myself. Just gotta see how the cards play out.

BOA Lifetime Member

Are you planning to come and live in europe or what do you mean with 'on the other side', Brad?

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by loopdon View Post
    Are you planning to come and live in europe or what do you mean with 'on the other side', Brad?
    Not the Eu Martin, but yes I am planning to move....but we'll just see how things go.

Ultimate Freak

heh barry sorry to hear about this mate, hope things get sorted out man.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by MorePunkThanFunk View Post
    before you read this, this post isn't aimed at barry's label, its just a general comment on the vinyl scene which al is referring to. (just in case there's any misunderstandings) I don't know what the situation was with your distro, all though i'd be interested to see what you mean about costs. As as far as i know your distributor should be making money not costing money

It is a bit sketchy with vinyl at the moment, but you've just got to make sure it's a quality release. Also i think it helps to aim for more than one sub-genre so as not to narrow your potential target market too much.

Hopefully this toughness of sales will start to bring a bit of quality back into the vinyl market, which has been over-saturated with mediocre music as of late.

Labels must either realise they can't throw average records out or go bust.

The problem with the digital market is that due to the minimal running costs and low risk it's very over-saturated. There are some absolutely briliant digital only tracks & labels but it just also seems that for every one of those labels there's 10 sub-standard ones... but then i suppose it's always been like that with vinyl as well
    Also i'm not looking @ taste here i'm talking about production quality.

I really hope that the market doesn't become so tough that it becomes digital only.

Totally agree with you. Everyone can run a Digital label, there are some really quality dig.-labels (Armatura, Ground FX etc.), but 90 % of the tracks coming out on the digital way would have never been released on Vinyl. But without the pressure of having to sell at least 300 or 400 copies, you can release every nonsense.

I read some labels (Overdrive for example) have started to release tracks only on Vinyl and not digital, could this be a way to save Vinyl or does this just lead to more illegal downloads?

BOA Mod

I dont think thats the problem though.

The reason I went with digital was because of the following:

1. There are SO many good tracks out there that were never going to get released because vinyl is expensive to produce, expensive to distribute.

2. Digital gives freedom, Im not in the camp that feels digital is a negative simply because there is so much crap out there, market forces eventually have their way and those who dont survive didnt because they made bad choices, not because the format was inherently crap.

which brings me to ..

3. Vinyl is inherently crap, from a logical perspective. Its heavy, it damages easily, it wears out, it doesnt have the full freuqnecy rnage available to human ears etc etc. BUT there is something undeniably gorgeous about the sound. Therefore format shouldnt be an issue.

4. I alwasy wanted to release vinyl and i will be doing that next year if my plans work out right, but with all the distros going down im having to take a good hard look at the options surrounding the distro and retail of it. And if i feel like that and lots of other people do then to fiercly stick to vinyl does no good at all. Especially if you love a type of music enough to want to risk your money on it, if the entire scene is vinyl then how much new music will find its way out there from people with enough drive to put it out? Drive doesnt equal money at the end of the day, and musicians are hardly known for their business accumen.

It amuses me no end when people launch into a format war and dismiss MP3 as being crap (it can be crap at lower bit rates of course) and then go on to defend vinyl as if the format made the music better, audio quality and music quality should never be foolishly confused wht MUSICALITY.. the two are not the same.

this is a time of change and one which should really be embraced wholeheartedly, change or DIE.

Deceptacon

just putting the final touches on the 4th track today.. should have samples up by tonight if all goes to plan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12