Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    BOA Mod

Default RA: Month to Month - Analysis of Vinyl and Techno...hmmmm

Deceptacon

good article..

Administrator

brilliant article.. well written and well thought out.

thoroughly enjoyed reading that :)

Supreme Freak

i really dug this article. one of my main gripes with people refusing to release digitally is that they feel somehow like the genie can be put back into the bottle. digital isn't going anywhere, and neither is vinyl. but expanding our market to include not only djs, but fans of the music is nothing but a good thing.

at the end of the day, i want to be able to put good music in the hands of people who love it, and to be able to buy the music i love so that the artists can make the music they love and perhaps even make a bit of money.

my financial situation has gotten considerably bad over the last year, and i have been unable to spend a lot of money on vinyl, but have still been buying music on a regular basis (more regular than when i just bought vinyl, to be honest). if i did not have the digital option, i wouldn't be buying ANY music. which is better for the labels and artists?

Junior Freak

The people refusing to release digitally are basicly sacred of change I don't see anything wrong with digital releases as they are reaching more people all over world which I see as a good thing also another good thing with digital releases they raise artists profiles. I love vinyl & I would hate it to see it go but there will always be a market out there for vinyl lovers as the old saying goes every each to their own
    All u need is a good ear for music!

Supreme Freak

Oh no, vinyl dead again. Pointless.

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Dust View Post
    pointless? how so?

surely reaching a larger audience is a good thing?

when i first got into techno "non djs" would actually buy the music because it was music they liked.. these days how, besides the hardcore fans and djs, is going to shell out silly money for 2/3 tracks?

like sheeva said, we need to get fans listening and buying again..

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
    pointless? how so?..
    Read it, it's written to get links and a reaction - he knows half of nothing if you ask me.

surely reaching a larger audience is a good thing? ?..
    Why? Does it actually exist? Weak argument, if you want a big audience, if that's what it's all about, join a ****ing boy band.

when i first got into techno "non djs" would actually buy the music because it was music they liked.. these days how, besides the hardcore fans and djs, is going to shell out silly money for 2/3 tracks? like sheeva said, we need to get fans listening and buying again..
    Stop worrying about things you can NOT influence, make your music and do your thing - **** them all :)

Deceptacon

Weak argument, if you want a big audience, if that's what it's all about, join a ****ing boy band.
    ^^ THAT is a sad way to think. surely you want your music to get to as wide an audience as possible? or are you missing the good old days of techno elitism?

"hey, heard this fukin awesome tune m8... but dont tell anyone.. it'll be our little secret"

bollox to that..

BOA Lifetime Member

"hey, heard this fukin awesome tune m8... but dont tell anyone.. it'll be our little secret"
    :clap:

BOA Mod

Cmon martin, you obviously have a position on this, can you be a bit clearer? I know you could put something into this debate that comes from personal experience, something interesting!

please?

;)

Supreme Freak

^^ THAT is a sad way to think. surely you want your music to get to as wide an audience as possible? or are you missing the good old days of techno elitism?

bollox to that..
    It's not sad at all and it's nothing to do with elitism or it being secret - please don't project your own trappings of the scene onto me.

Music finds people and you can't be everything to everyone and more to the point 99.9% don't care, so why are you wasting your time and energy evangalising?

If you want to obsess with dragging the general public by the bollocks down the road to Damascus that is Techno - go ahead, talk about it all you want, start a thousand threads about it, go around and around.

Last time I looked this was about music, ideas and being creative, being an artist not a contestant in some kind of popularity contest or seeking public or any kind of approval.

Deceptacon

It's not sad at all and it's nothing to do with elitism or it being secret - please don't project your own trappings of the scene onto me.

Music finds people and you can't be everything to everyone and more to the point 99.9% don't care, so why are you wasting your time and energy evangalising?

If you want to obsess with dragging the general public by the bollocks down the road to Damascus that is Techno - go ahead, talk about it all you want, start a thousand threads about it, go around and around.

Last time I looked this was about music, ideas and being creative, being an artist not a contestant in some kind of popularity contest or seeking public or any kind of approval.
    who's looking to be popular?

just because i still feel people will like techno, given the means to hear it, doesnt mean im trying so desperatly to be liked (if that was the case i certainly wouldnt be making techno!)

if you wanna be all artistic and "underground" thats your choice.. but dont expect everyone else to have the same low expectations.. some of us actually have a bit of enthusiasm left for getting the music out there and for it to be heard (we've all done the 1 man and his dog gigs.. and i definitly dont wanna go back to doing them)

and if you think 99.9% of people dont care what you're playing them i think its time you searched out some new people.
    Last edited by rhythmtech; 28-03-2008 at 11:58 AM.

BOA Lifetime Member

All fair - but if a label chose to only release its music on betamax tapes and denied everyone lacking a betamax player the opportunity to listen to them you'd be entitled to point out that they were missing a trick...

Music is meant to be heard and appreciated shurely?

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace View Post

Music is meant to be heard and appreciated shurely?
    :BigThumbUp: whats the point otherwise?

BOA Lifetime Member

This quote summed it all up for me:
    James Masters who runs the UK label Rekids along with Matt Edwards (Radio Slave), claims that their experiment with vinyl only releases had exactly the opposite effect: "We tried vinyl only with our 008 & 009 releases but the file sharing was so massive we took a decision we could not miss out on making digital formats available too."
    Might as well get paid for your efforts.

Supreme Freak

who's looking to be popular? .
    Isn't that what your preaching, you want people to hear it cos you think they will all like it given a chance? It deserves to be heard, well here's the thing, you don't get to decide that.

just because i still feel people will like techno, given the means to hear it, doesnt mean im trying so desperatly to be liked (if that was the case i certainly wouldnt be making techno!)
    What are you trying to achieve then?

if you wanna be all artistic and "underground" thats your choice.. but dont expect everyone else to have the same low expectations.. some of us actually have a bit of enthusiasm left for getting the music out there and for it to be heard (we've all done the 1 man and his dog gigs.. and i definitly dont wanna go back to doing them)
    Low expectations? Enthusiasm? You surely can't be leveling that BS at me, can you?

and if you think 99.9% of people dont care what you're playing them i think its time you searched out some new people.
    Do a quick poll in the street, go and ask "people" - they don't care, they can't even be arsed to ****ing vote let alone give you some feedback on the latest 12". This has sudden shifted from the general public to the audience we/I play to, how did that happen? Stay on target ;)
    Last edited by Martin Dust; 28-03-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace View Post
    This quote summed it all up for me:

Might as well get paid for your efforts.
    DS93 001 and 002 where a great success, thus proving the Jim's findings don't apply to everything and everyone. There's no one size fits all.

BOA Lifetime Member

Sure, there's no one rule for all things but could those two releases not have benefitted even more from a mixed format release?

I think making music available in the formats that people want to buy them in just makes good sense. I don't really understand why labels refuse to supply a demand for their music. I can't see who it benefits or protects.

People just resort to filesharing to meet the need, so the artists and labels lose out on the revenue and the exposure. Seems counterproductive to me.
    Last edited by Jay Pace; 28-03-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Deceptacon

Isn't that what your preaching, you want people to hear it cos you think they will all like it given a chance? It deserves to be heard, well here's the thing, you don't get to decide that.
    no i dont get to decide but by releasing on as many fomatrs as possible i at least make it more accessible for people to decide for themselves.

if you press 1000 of a vinyl, that means (illegal downloads and copies not included) that legally only 1000 people should have that track. we all know that more people will download it so y not release it digitally yourself and possibly recoup some oof the vinyl expenses so that the next release can be done and the one after that.

What are you trying to achieve then?
    wanting your music to be heard is totally differant to wanting to be popular?

Low expectations? Enthusiasm? You surely can't be leveling that BS at me, can you?
    i just did.

Do a quick poll in the street, go and ask "people" - they don't care, they can't even be arsed to ****ing vote let alone give you some feedback on the latest 12". This has sudden shifted from the general public to the audience we/I play to, how did that happen? Stay on target ;)
    like i said, meet some new people.. i know plenty of people that love techno and always ask what a certain track is and where they can get it. i say you can oreder the vinyl online and they dont want to know. cost, shipping etc.. and most people dont have a turntable anyway.

i dont know where you stand on the digi issue but surely making your music more available to a wider audience is a good thing? or have i suddenly stepped into bizzaro world?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast