Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.

Thread: korg machines

Junior Freak

Post korg machines

Which of these two machines you prefer for make tekno?
    Emx1. synth / drum machine
    Esx1.sampler/groove box
    vinyl please

Junior Freak

save up an extra 600 quid and get an elektron - i made the mistake of getting a korg (the last moddle back) liked it for a while - its a bit of a toy compared to a machine drum imo.

Junior Freak

hi, the Elektron is a nice machine but is very expensive,I'm just a beginner, if you had to choose one of two korg machines which choose?
    vinyl please

Junior Freak

Nobody has any of these machines?
    vinyl please

Supreme Freak

get the korg ES then you'll be able to bung whatever sounds in to it you want.
    i've the ER1 it's great fun!!!
    It's toe tappingly tragic
    www.myspace.com/pure_techno

Junior Freak

I was thinking about that with the SX you have more possibilities.thnks
    vinyl please

Junior Freak

out of the 2 i'd pick the emx1 as it has the synth sequencer - on the esx the sampler is ok but you need to write samples to an sd card - i just didn't use it ended up just using samples in my software instead.
    seriously you might be a beginner but i know (as i did the same thing) if you get the korg in a year you will wish you had got the elektron (i wish i had and its on my shopping list).

Junior Freak

Thanks Joseph but only with the Machinedrum I would have to buy a synth or another machine to make basslines and things like that ,with the Korg I can do both. What other groovebox you recommend to me to make funky/ hard techno? I prefer hardware than software;-). thanks
    vinyl please

Junior Freak

i seriously woul keep away from groove boxes all together (again talking from experience) they tend to be a bit gimmicky and not a serious peice of kit (even more so now with D.A.W's as you can do so much in say ableton or cubase). i use the korg MS2000R and that is not a bad synth at all i can use it to make nice bass lines and lovely bleepy rythm parts and some sweet leads. you can pick up one of those on e-bay for about £250.00 - for rythm hmmm not sure i use VSTI's have no hardware (well i have a korg es mk2 but i hate it) but my mate uses elektron and i want one - infact it is the only sequencer/groove box that i here get highly rated (i think that is why they are so expensive).
    sorry i could't be more help.
    but belive me i (as you) need to consider my budget before i buy anything (the reason i baught the korg myself) but it genuinly is worth saving (even if it takes you 2 years) to get the better stuff cos you will want it anyway a year down the line but you will have wasted £350.00.
    it took me 2 grooveboxes to learn that lesson BTW.
    Last edited by josephjobling; 16-11-2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: can't spell

Junior Freak

Thank you, i will take your advice,.cheers.
    vinyl please

BOA Lifetime Member

This entirely depends what you want them for. You will never be able to write a whole tune in one box, but if you want to make loops and have a bit of fun I don't think anything's wasted.

I have the ES1x, and swear by it. It's a key live toy and all the loops from it I record as audio to the DAW to use in finished tunes.

It also kept me sane when I was in hospital for 3 weeks...

My advice is try and get to a store and have a play on one (getting harder, I know) and see what you think.
    Pure F*ckin' Noize Terror...

Junior Freak

thanks again, will see what i do.
    vinyl please