Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Deceptacon

y exactly do you want one? they are going to do exactly the same thing as routing out from your sequencer.

when you set up an aux channel on your sequencer and route individual tracks to it you can still process those tracks seperatly. you also have the added advantage of processing them as a group if you like (ie drum group compression)

i think you're looking too hard at what is a very simple solution. the more variables you add the more chances to get things wrong.

keep it simple. you have a good interface and a good desk. dont comprimise the audio signal with crap gear when its not needed. i understand the want to go outboard but going outboard is only an advantage IF you have quality outboard. a quality vst compressor or eq will ALWAYS sound better than a cheap outboard one.

try think outside the box on this. remember up to fairly recently we all had to bounce tracks to make more room for other tracks on a desk - a true analogue desk is limited in channel count anyway. you have firewire to your desk and a seperate interface. sit down with a pen and paper & draw out differant routing configurations and try figure out the best way to make the most of that nice set-up that you have.
    Last edited by rhythmtech; 22-10-2008 at 03:44 PM.

BOA Lifetime Member

do u really need all of those routings Si? just go with what you have... theres more than enough options there!

i still think SPDIF possible tho. we were on PC when we did it.
    Last edited by stjohn; 22-10-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Deceptacon

it is possible to have 2 cards daisy chained rory BUT not to select both drivers at the same time (which is where you run into a brickwall)

im not 100% sure about using two as a duplex (1 card for out and 1 for in) - never tried that.

but i know that spdif cant pick up a second cards audio without the second cards drivers running.

just go into your sequencer and have a look at your options. you can nver pick more than 1.

unless theres some modular interface im not aware of.

maybe you ran them as I/O in duplex?

Deceptacon

actually im sorry rory.

im thinking USB audio all along here.

it may be a distinct possibility with firewire interfaces of the same model thru spdif.

BOA Newbie

I just want a fast way to record in 8 ins from md, 6 ins from virus, synths, hardware fx etc etc. Fran was saying it would be a good idea to get one rory?

We have a decent card now and its too slow working as we are. Just want to improve the environment in there. I definitely don't want to downgrade audio quality though!

I am the first to admit I am new to patchbays but I understand how they work - just never had the need for them before.

How can I improve the workflow in there? Sick of stopping every few mins to record every channel on md seperately, then doing virus, etc... Also would like to start using outboard fx gear...

BOA Newbie

mackie desk doesnt have spdif as far as I know, only a firewire extension

we have an m-audio firewire 1814 already, trying to incorporate the desk into the set up as another bunch of ins...

Not same manufacturer, let alone same model! Thats the prob...

Deceptacon

well if its for loads of differant inputs then thats a differant story - a good quality patch bay is the way forward.

or

if you're using synths like (the virus) that have vst editors you can go down that route and not worry about input.

BOA Lifetime Member

its possible.. our lecturer set it up :|

**** it tho... i dont think si needs it setup like that anyway. the onyx on its or even the fw 1814 on its own suits grand!

id be worried about the crazy bass, the millions of early reflections and the dodgy pc setup in the studio. dont give yourself more work

BOA Newbie

Yeah - virus seems to be limited to 3 stereo outs when connected to usb though? I dont know, its not my synth and I'm still figuring it out (its a beast!)

Deceptacon

i dont think si needs it setup like that anyway
    i agree. i think its just making things messy.

SI, have you thought about a slave machine? run the master thru the desk and then a laptop thru the interface and sync the two with midi-over-lan - very simple to set up.

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by stjohn View Post
    i dont think si needs it setup like that anyway.
    Who are you to tell me what I do and dont need :)

Na you're right though, I'm letting laziness take over! No problem recording the md parts just by muting and unmuting... Just takes longer!

Slaving machines could achieve what we were looking for there but to be honest musically the results mightnt be as good... I mean its not like we'll be using everything all at once and then recording it in all at once in one take...

Thanks for the help lads! Still considering the patch bay but thinking a good option would be to stick to using 1 soundcard for the moment!

Si

BOA Lifetime Member

sorry yea i didnt mean it like that :)
    patchbay would be nice tho yea!!

Supreme Freak

If your recording from a Onyx via firewire you might want to check into whether it sends the audio pre or post fader/eq I know some of there desks only send pre rendering them pretty much useless if your using it for anything more than a multi input interface. They can be modded but it's not an easy job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12