Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

Default >>>>P.a using laptops<<<<

Ive been thinking recently about setting up a pa. The main sequencer would have to be a laptop. I would like to playback tracks using a p.c and have various hardware triggered by midi. I would like to connect a soundcard with many outputs and have them going into my mackie 1604

I already have a USB2*2 midi interface, would I need to update this with something that's got a faster transfer rate ie firewire.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on where to go with this while I have a browse around myself. Idealy I would like the laptop to be a high spec. How would I connect a soundcard to it, is it still possible to connect via PCI?

Much appreciate any help given

BOA Lifetime Member

its funny you mention this fern, because i was going to ask you if you were intrested in doing live PA's in the future. i think this is a good route for you to take as you dont spin records.

its something id like to do in the future too, but i obviously need to sort my productions out first of all. as for advice on this subject im clueless. sorry bud! :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

hahahaha :lol: Colin

BOA Lifetime Member

Well I think U'll be limited 2 either USB, or firewire.. I don't know any other type of plug u can use with a laptop really... If yer laptop behaves at home with the normal setup then there isn't much of a reason not to when u'r live.. make a few test before hand and stick to the minimum midi gear u can, also trim down as much as u can the amount of midi messages 8(notes, controllers etc..)...

Some firewire/ USB/ USB 2 soundcards have 1 or even 2 midi I/O that might b usable....

If u thinking of buying new gear and u r really concerned then maybe a PCMCIA Sound card with Midi interface might b in order...

May I recomend RME MULTIFACE with PCMCIA interface!
    Check if u really can't get away with an MPC + synths+mixer... check the new juicy mpc1000.

get a a good psu, this will prove invaluable when giging live!!!

Z

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Mod

Default Live PA

Hi there All

Could you take a look at the project we just started and let me know if you'd like to be involved.

Early days so far and we need live artists to get the whole thing moving.

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB...ic.php?t=10771

We are desperate!

BTW it isnt spam, and we're not afta ya money!

BOA Mod

Default Live Techno

Opps forgot to say

We use a laptop - a tascam us224 inteface, a motu express XT and a 909 and a nord and korg with spirit f16 mixer for the live work. WE also use a evolution uc16 for controlling stuff.

Fruityloops works exceptionally well for live music, the ability to control stuff is just awesome.

Having owned an MPCXL i can say its great for solo acts, but pants for two people who need access to an interface (just my humble opin....;)

I've seen and used ableton a lot but i still keep coming back to fruity.

Another thing about laptops.....You really cant push them as hard as a pc with a seperate grahpics card, the MB uses the sys resources, so you really have to be careful in that respect.

Answers on a crakcer please!

BOA Lifetime Member

Have u used the Live function on Fruity Studio, assigning patterns to Keys or knobs???

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Mod

Default indeed we have

yeah, this function is great. itallows plenty of syncopation as each pattern can be triggered off by pressing A key on an attatched usb or midi keyboard.

in the midi settings go to playlist live mode midi channel and set this to the input channel from your keyboard i.e midi channel 1

remote control input must also be set to the device you wish to use.

then in the playlist turn on live mode using the little box in the topleft window, this is then activated. when you use the keyboard in live mode it will turn the patterns on or off.

this means you cannot then use the keyboard to play instruments (i think, dont have keys in front of me, if im wrong ill post again later)

you may use multiple keys, to turn whole channels off

fruity tip. 1. insert three samples.
    in the ins window look at the bottom key board. see the c5 orange higllight, this is the root key of the sample and may be changed by right clicking above the key board in the same area as the orange highlight. easy.

2. instead left click and youll get a root min.max value, this can then be dragged using click and hold to the left and right to cover and area.

3. do this for all the different samples (making sure the samples zones dont overlap)

4. create a layer channel from channels>add on>add layer - add a layer then go to the step sequencer window.

5 the layer channel is now selected. keeping it open (by not clicking ona channel button) use your right click to select the samples you just added. Now right click the channel selct green light as well by right clicking on it.

6. this means you have the three sample channels lit, but not the layer, but you can see the layer channel edit window (ins,func,misc,sample) you should see a "set children" button.

7. click on this button.

8. left click on the layer channel button. when you play the keyboard youll hear all the samples in your layer, on the same keyboard. this cannot be done by multiple selecting channels as normal.

bit long winded, but worth it as you can put FX on each sample quite easily, can prove to be very ****y and higkly playable in a live situation.

hope this all helps.

chris@inspection-records.co.uk

BOA Mod

Default fruity controllers

migel

im a bit sloshed at the mo m8, if u didnt understand that i can explain further again. sorry ;)

the controllers a highly linkable and a whole different story. from simple fun to amazing maths.....i shit you not.

no-one else i have come across understands the power of this program...for the money its ****ing madness, been using this and so many other programs for 6 years and it is only fruity that continually suprises....

love it to death, **** ableton, this does more and better.

hehe!

BOA Lifetime Member

thaks m8, I was asking more in the way of finding out if u yer putting 2 use this function.. I have used it a couple of time 2 do basic structuring of a track, then I go back and do the final tweeks, eq, etc...

Thanks 4 the elaborate explanation on the layers! :)

Z

BOA Mod

sorry, was bit sloshed and it was late in answer, yes we do use it this way.

we also use the pattern stepping function to march through the patterns.

this needs good timing, which we have, and leads to us being the sequencer rather than pre sequenced stuff which is a bit of a rip off in a live situation imo

BOA Lifetime Member

have u tryed using the quantise in order 2 only get the patterns 2 change or the tracks 2 mute/ unmute say like a bars, or beats, etc..?

I haven't tryed this but as far as I know U can do that with in live mode!

Z

BOA Mod

:cry:

it wont do that with the patterns in pattern play mode in fruity (something we've been moaning about now for ages..... )

The live mode is really the only way forward on that score unless you like life dangerous like we do....

In live mode the pattern triggers will work per quantise value (have em set to bar and you cant go far wrong. Live mode is in song mode remember....

They really should deal with this issue, for me it'd complete the whole thing. If the mpc can do it then why not imageline????

The advantages of using the pattern mode are that you can flip backwards and forwards rapidly between neighbouring patterns to creat really really really mad breaks. You can also set pattern lengths to 4steps to make very short loops ,say, just before the break or at the end or any damn place you choose! The down side???? you gotta sequence it all physically....but i like that...funky as fick!

BOA Lifetime Member

Oh my god, ive not been on for a few days. Thanks everyone. Ime gonna check it out

BOA Lifetime Member

Humm.. I think U could get way just by using the Song mode...
    If u need a repeat 1/4 bar.. just create a normal 1 bar and repear the sequence 4 times... But I can make a patter play any number of beats u choose (top left corner of the step editor) and u can us'em in live mode different patterns with different sizes, so i guess in most cases it's just a matter of planning ahead...

My nag would b U can only use one midi controler input! Also I don't seem 2 find a "solo pattern" button.. maybe with the option of returning 2 inicial position after un-soloing, or unmute all/play

Z

BOA Mod

Like you say, its your choice really as to what method you use, the live mode is good for building up tracks, but utter shite for soloing a pattern.

The unsolo button is a right click on the little pattern on off light next to the chnnel edit button. its a bit small. And doesnt give you this option of returning to the previous map of activated channels, it just unsolo's everything...

:roll:

BOA Lifetime Member

Sure m8, but I meant soloing a pattern not a channel! that's what I find missing in the live mode! That's the only thing that I find missing in that mode, what about ya?

Thanks 4 the input anywayz!

Z

BOA Mod

You know i was thinking that today.... a solo in live mode would be perfect. Maybe in the next update eh!
    ;)

BOA Lifetime Member

Just nag' em enought and they'll do it! :P

I'll mail'em ... "...if u don't do the solo in live, I'll keep sending u my tracks till u give up lol..." ;)

Z

BOA Mod

maybe we can all join in...hehe!

we'll send em the early stuff - oh the horror! oh the unpitched drumz! oh my god listen to the frequency snaps... please no no NO!

[insert picture of woman in fifties sci-fi B movie 'Them' screaming and clutching cheeks]

:clap:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast