Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Junior Freak

Default VST Recommendations (Updated)

Hi everyone! :)

Im looking to purchase VST plugins for Instruments & Effects but before I do, I would like to make sure I am going in the right direction, I will list below what I am after & if you could recommend what is my best option, that would be fantastic, I want to get high end tools that give me no limitations, I am using Ableton with PC. Really looking to get an updated recommendation..

Drums - NI Battery / LinPlug RMV / Ableton's Impulse/Drum Racks.

Synths - Hydra / Sylenth / Lounge Lizard / NI FM8 or NI PRO53 / LinPlug Crono X3 / Slayer II / Minimoog V

NOTE: I am looking to get a collection of VST Synths that I can use for bass & pads, basically a selection that will give me plenty of sounds, the above being an idea of what I have been recommended already..

Effects - Really need a VST Effect for filter, delay, reverb?

NOTE: Regarding the Mastering & EQ? Do I need these as a beginner?

Have I missed anything???

Thank you :)

BOA Lifetime Member

if i would be you, i would better stick with the plugins which are packed in ableton as i think they are pretty useful, and for saved money, i would upgrade monitors or invest in accoustic treatments.

as for your list:
    Drums
    NI Battery,it is great for what it is, but its well overpriced, Linnplug RMIV the same,. stick to ableton impuls/drum racks, and buy Sonic Charge Microtonic.

Synths
    Hydra - yes, Sylenth 1- yes, NI FM8- yes, also look at Rob Papens plugins, Albino 3 and Predator are top plugins,,. also scheck NI Absytnth for pads and atmos,... dont waste money on Lo9ungeLizard, Cronox, Slayer or Minimoog...

Effects:
    i would suggest you to better stick with free plugins until you realize what plugin you cant use as a free version and then buy it. deffinitelly check Bootsy collection, TAL collection,....and many more, go thru Free VST thread and you find lot of useful stuff...

as for mastering, dont waste money on the plugins, better find soemone who got skills and send tracks to them to master for you, it will cost you less money and i bet result will be much better.
    Last edited by BloodStar; 27-04-2009 at 12:30 PM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
    -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc

Junior Freak

BloodStar: Much respect! Thanks heaps for that information :)

With the recommended synths above, will they will be enough for me to get my basslines, pads & atmospheres etc?? Just want to make sure that they will at least be enough for me as a beginner, correct?? If there is anything else you believe I should get, please let me know, if not, let me know that the above is more than sufficient for me to begin with, thanks heaps again BloodStar, you rock!!
    Last edited by tekboi; 29-04-2009 at 06:57 AM.

BOA Lifetime Member

hi man,

I think they are one of the bests you can find in SW. no matter you are beginner or not. These synths will do great service for you.
    Also dont choose synths by brand, but try to choose a synth depends on what architecture it is (subtractive, FM, wavetable, etc). Regarding synth architecture you can get certain type of sound out of it. Would be good to have at least one 1fm synth, 1subtractive, 1wavetable, 1modular, etc..

Yes, all the synths mentioned above will serve you well for creating bass, kicks, percs, drums, atmos, leads, fx, whatever :D
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
    -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc

Junior Freak

You're a champion BloodStar, keep in touch, speak soon :)