Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Administrator

Default <Reason 2.5 Top Tips>

I'm late I know, but I've just started to learn this program recently via REWIRE (thanks to Fernando) and I thought it might be nice for us all to list your top tips when using this program. After only 1 days of using it (god it's been on my machine for years) my tip is:

Scream - Tape option on everything.

Has anyone any other tips (especially for techno)???

Junior Freak

i love this program, and the Scream function is absolutly awsome.

one thing i do with Reason is AMP the kicks from the Redrum using the Spider and from the Spider to its own mixer, then compress it. You can do this with anything in reason really not just the kick, i do it so my sounds get more power behind them.

Junior Freak

how to make a multiband compressor in reason-
    http://www.propellerheads.se/home/di...;article=part3

my favorite thing about reason is dropping rex files into the redrum and going crazy with rearranging the loops!

BOA Lifetime Member

yeah absolutly, Scream is hot on everything, U can put it on drums, hihats,synths, rhythm .

Reason is real great for creating mids,. On the rhythm, it doesn't have so punchy sound as you can achieve in any sequencer, but for using it on mid loops otr something./.it's really cool and while using it via Rewire the lows can be done in sequencer, and then all frequency spectrum is nice balanced..and the sound is :clap: ..

BTW> Edit function is now available,, thanx Mark :lol:
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
    -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc

Junior Freak

this may seem obvious to some, but i notice that many dont really play around with hooking this up to that in reason...maybe because the vast web of cables intimidate people, i dotn know :)

but its really good to try out a lot of combinations..in the beginning it can seem frustrating that you have to create this and that effect for every sound, but its really worth it..but dont overdo it either of course, unless this is exactly what you want

but a thing i do every time is create a mixer for synth sounds, etc. and then a mixer for the drums alone...and a i almost always hook a reverb and a delay and compressor up as send effects on both mixers, but i think many do this though

and the tape effect on the new distortion is great , as mentioned, but many of the other effects can be pretty good too...especially i found the warp effect to be good with string type samples, it can really make it like nice distorted synth sounds

also, a thing that a lot of people dont know is that you can save your samples within your reason file, you can do this in file>song self contain settings...so you dont have to take all your samples with you, if you move it to another computer

BOA Lifetime Member

Yes, U can add samples to the track with using the self contain setting.
    And this is a must, if U want to play the song on another computer and U want to have the track complete with all sounds.

But there's another problem with transporting songs. The refills used in current song have to appear on the machine to which U transport the song. there is no setting which lock the sounds from refills to the song.

so, be carefull if the computer where you want to transport the track contains the refills, used in. :!:
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

BOA Lifetime Member

The random notes function is quite nice! ;)

Do the same for matrix then send that 2 a track, then swap the track 2 different instruments/ sounds, layer them...

Just form the top of my head!

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Lifetime Member

Also there is a cool function - Copy Pattern To Track. (or how it is:)
    Right click the Redrum or Matrix sequencer click it, and the pattern which is active at the moment /U hear it plays/ is copied to the track editor between the left and right locator, as you set them.

BOA Newbie

just figured this out but sounds quite good. turn round your redrum then just wire the gate out to gate in of any of the channels that you want to gate toghther. you can then flip it round and use the tone and velocity at the bottom of each channel .

Junior Freak

The Vocoder also gives good results - you can play the synths with Dr.Rex loops, for example... It sounds wicked and it's a way of getting non-linear rhythmic patterns out of the synths which you couldn't get any other way...
    John Wayne was a nazi

BOA Newbie

yeah - here's a couple of my favourite tips....

1 - use the mod A and mod B, and wire them to the input of for example the filter frequency on a subtractor that's playina a TB synth.

2 - use two DDL digital delay lines as send fx. set one to 2 steps, and pan hard left, the other to 4 steps, pan hard right. On a synth - put the sends up for sends 1 and 2 up to about 40%.

3 - stick a compressor between your main mixer (or only mixer if you just use the one) and the hardwar interface.

4 - if you use the redrum drum machine (which is a bit cack) you can route the gate out to a sampler (NN19 [named after the old paul hardcastle track] or the NNXT) where you can then load in a kick and **** around with it. You can also route each redrum channel to it's own mixer chan so you can apply for example a delay to a snare, but not the kick.

BOA Newbie

Sometimes it's cool to get wild and mess up the cables by pluging them randomly. You can have some happy accidents.

Reason really sucks at exporting 44khz/16bit....
    always do 48khz/24bit.......do the mastering and at the end downsample to 44khz and convert to 16bit(for cds that is).....
    sounds way better.......

I'm really getting into Máélström lately. It's really great. Also u can flip it and hook in a redrum or a rex or just about any source and use the synths filters/effects.

Oh and synth layering is cool to....make a Matrix/ hit randomize notes/ create a CV splitter. Hook the matrix in the splitter and send the same CV to 2-3-4 different synths(either Subtractor or Maelström). U can get really interesting sounds. I use this method for eg. when i have a nice analog like bassline, but it lacks deep sub end, then I hook the same CV into a synth that plays only deep sub stuff.
    -----------------------------
    web: http://faktorx.port5.com
    -----------------------------

BOA Lifetime Member

Dont be restricted by the Subtractors 2 oscillators - just create your own "super synth" by routing several subtractors to your mixer and dupicating the midi channels in the sequencer so they are all running the same pattern....

BOA Lifetime Member

Fills Forever

by Afrohawk, 13 Mar 2002, Add/view comments (9 comments)

Let me say that I love Reason. For my modest music setup, which includes a beautiful 19" monitor (a good monitor is the most crucial element in regards to Reason) and a year-old, "workpad" Casio keyboard that MIDIs out to my sound card, Reason is the only way to fly. I am my own studio, studio engineer, etc. I love it.

I know, I know. You are sitting there, you've just made an awesome loop that you would like to shoot into overdrive with one of those mad, mad fills. You could accomplish this task in a variety of ways. Let me suggest this method.

It is EASY to create variated and awesome beats in Reason using some very simple techniques. I know a lot of people are trying to create rolls and rhythm variation in the Sequencer, because I did. But this is unwieldy. While it can be effective, it is tedious and a black hole for time.

The delayed loop method

My method for creating awesome drum patterns, which I have no idea if others are doing this, is to:

1. Create a delay on a Dr. Rex or Redrum.

2. Create a Sequencer Track for this Delay. On the Delay, adjust the Feedback setting to about 3/4 of the way full and turn the Dry/Wet all the way left.

Now, the fun part.

3. MIDI enable the Dry/Wet knob (Right click on the wheel, Select Edit MIDI Remote Mapping and make sure the "Learn from MIDI" box is checked. Now move the wheel on your keyboard/midi controller. You should see the little blue bars at the bottom register respond to the wheel.

4. Start the device through the Transport Bar or by playing the instrument individually. I suggest loading a rhythm pattern you like out of the Dr Rex loops that came with the Factory Sound Bank for demo purposes and to play this in Preview mode from the Dr. Rex.

5. Now, move your wheel slowly but steadily on your keyboard. How about that? You can simulate DJ effects by moving the wheel back and forth quickly. You can also produce endlessly varied fills by letting the wheel "hang" in the middle for just a second, moving it back and forth and then slowly escalating the wheel to an appropriate level. The possibilities are truly limitless. (Try these steps with a Redrum loaded with special FX sounds. Mind blowing.)

Here are some other suggestions.

A helpful sequencer
    Before we go any further, let me give you a tip that you may or may not know. Right click on the knob or slider that you would like to automate. Choose Edit Automation. Instantly the Sequencer shows you the Automation channel for that effect. It took me months to stumble on this. And I even read the manual..twice. Also, be careful when you edit the automation. Make sure that your MIDI symbol appears in that device's track in the Sequencer, or your changes will not record for that device, but they will record on whatever track you still have selected.

Knobs/sliders default state
    You also need to set the default state of the knob or slider that you have selected. I achieve this simply by taking the pencil tool and click anywhere in the Automation channel. The entire channel will suddenly be filled with a uniform blue bar that designates that the device is set to this level as its default state. Of course, you might have to adjust a little where you just clicked. Remember you are only clicking to set the default state, not to really draw anything.

Somthing to try in your song
    One other thing on this subject. Record your Dry/Wet adjustments in the channel. Try to come up with a rhythmic way to adjust the mod wheel. For an example, try this. In the third measure of a 4 measure loop, move the mod wheel quickly to halfway and as the third measure transitions into the fourth, move it back down. You should have seen this action recorded in the automation channel for the Delay device. Do this for however long you need to create your own loop of this variated drumbeat.

Stop recording. Select Dry/Wet automation in the Sequencer window with your selection tool. I usually select four measures at a time. (When you select, make sure it is set to Bar and not to 1/64 or 1/8, etc. This will give you a precise cut on the bar.) Now you can copy these modifications and paste them one after another, or you can place them throughout the song.

Remember, you can do this for any automation, so you may want to group entire automations together for a device and copy and paste that way. Only your imagination limits you.

Practive to get Incredible fills
    Now, this is a great tip for an awesome break followed by a fill in your song. By using this technique you can create the break and then, with a little practice, come out of it with the most incredible fill you've ever made...at least, this easily.

On your Dr. Rex, locate the Decay slider under the Amp section. MIDI-enable this slider to your mod wheel on your keyboard. When you drop the slider to the bottom you get an awesome "squelched" variation of your beat. Now, with your slider at the bottom, adjust the Dry/Wet on the Delay you created earlier. You now can see that by automating these two knobs together you can produce endless fills of differing rhythm, intensities and variations. By turning up the Dry/Wet and the Decay in sync, or even a little out of sync, you can come out of that fresh break with a long and effortless fill. Awesome.

Amplify and sharpen your drums
    This next tip kind of goes hand-in-hand with the one above. This is how to amplify and sharpen your drums. You can use this technique in conjunction with a fill or when you want to focus the drums quickly and easily.

MIDI enable the mod wheel on the Dr. Rex to your keyboard. Now move the wheel all the way up. Did you notice a difference. Try adjusting the three little knobs under the MOD WHEEL section on the Dr. Rex. Now trying moving the mod wheel. You should experience a difference of amplitude. To increase the amplitude (volume) of the beat as you move the mod wheel up, make sure you turn the AMP knob under the MOD WHEEL section to the left. Play with those MOD WHEEL knobs on all of your instruments and a whole other world will open up for you.

Reason is the reason for the season.

BOA Lifetime Member

oh and of course, the most crucial thing is to remember to rewire the damn thing to cubase or logic audio and mix down from there...even if i have a track finished in reason I always finish off in logic for that extra bite and the effects kick the shit of reason IMO...

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jake
    how to make a multiband compressor in reason-
    http://www.propellerheads.se/home/di...&article=part3

my favorite thing about reason is dropping rex files into the redrum and going crazy with rearranging the loops!

I start every tune with this set-up, also i add The Scream distortion unit set to Tape between the mixer and the spider for a warmer sound.

I use the vocoder for EQing rather than the parametric eq's
    Nooo, Dont shite in ma mooth!!!