Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default <Cubase SX 2 Top Tips>

Cubase is my own prefered sequencer but what is it that really makes it stand out?

My top top recommendation is to learn the shortcuts.

What are yours? What gives it that edge? What can you recommend to do to make it even more powerful?

Ultimate Freak

Default Re: <Cubase SX 2 Top Tips>

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    Cubase is my own prefered sequencer but what is it that really makes it stand out?

My top top recommendation is to learn the shortcuts.

What are yours? What gives it that edge? What can you recommend to do to make it even more powerful?
    the evolution uc-33e controller to help me get at volume sliders in a split second is awesome. i just wish intigration with cubase sx2 was better.

but my primary use of the uc--33e is for ableton for live pa's

-p.dsp

BOA Lifetime Member

Steinberg Houston, Studio VST controller

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...ndex.php?sid=0

looks pretty well, IMO.
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
    -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc

BOA Lifetime Member

automation of plug ins is great
    STAR WARS IS ALMOST AS CRAP AS TOLKIEN

BOA Lifetime Member

Midi Efxs, step , arpegiator and chorder!!

:)

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

Ultimate Freak

stepdesigner is of a great use for me little musical antitalent. just go to inserts or sends of midi tracks and choose it.
    chorder rocks too as ze already said.

remember to use clean option once in a month, it will delete all your unused files, thus speeding up cubase A LOT.

who knows how to set mixer to respond to my midi controller?

BOA Lifetime Member

U have 2 go to the devices, then add a general device and then configure it.. it's boring but after donne it's very nice 2 use!! :)

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Lifetime Member

do yer own key shortcuts... speeds up yer work!!

Z

Junior Freak

This applies to other programs other than cubase.. but... anyway..

When inserting an effect on a channel...insert it half way down the chain instead of at the first spot. That way, if you add a second effect or eq you can insert it before or after the original effect. (This would not be an issue if you could freely bump effects up or down the chain).

BOA Lifetime Member

a cool trick that I use in cubase 2 sorta emulate sidechain comp from a kick into a bassline....

do a volume automation on the bass, so that yer bassline audiotrack dips a little with every kick... (bounce it 2 spare the cpu if needed) u'll probably have 2 use a huge zoom and a lot of copy pasting but should yeld some nice results with a very detailed control over the all thing!!! this uplies 2 basically any audio sequencer.

Z

BOA Lifetime Member

right click on a track.... duplicate... very quick and usefull way 2 work with long audiable decaing sound (so that one clip doesn't mute the other!) loop2 mock around with ideas with out ruining the original... also good for chorusing/ phasing, Beat Juggling! ;)

right click on a track.... duplicate... very quick and usefull way 2 work with long decaing sound (so that one clip doesn't mute the other! so each track plays in turns 1 measure on then 1 measure off)... now create a Folder track and add both.. lots easier 2 handle!

If u work with midi then bouce yer sounds 2 audio, I'm sure u've came accross a few times when the all arragement is a total mess (so sometimes after u've bounced 2 audio u delete the midi track then u find out that u need to get back 2 the midi track 2 change something...!?!?)... create a folder track for all the midi tracks, collapse it (expand..) and mute it!

SX 2 alows u 2 devide the arrange view into 2 horizontal areas... keep audio on top and midi below... (or reversed).. now u can shrink7 expand the area that u are using and "hide" the "backUp" original midi tracks!

Use the windows views (setups) 2 quickly rearrage all windows on the screen... lots easier then dragging and redimensioning all the time... then it's as easy as pressing a couple of combination Keys!! :)

Z

BOA Lifetime Member

Creating yer windows layouts can b very usefull and make you work much faster/ better...

arrange all yer windows around yer display(s).. now just go to the menu windows/ New Windows layout!! :)

If this is yer first u can always quickly retreive this position and dimensioning of all the windows around the screens by just pressing ALT+1 (numeric keypad), for the second layout, ALT+2 (numeric keypad), ...

It might seem lame but this is very usefull .. give it a go! ;)

Z

Supreme Freak

this might seem obvious but it might help out a few as well but the forums on cubase.net have an insane amount usefull info.

Keepin' it Unreal

Quote Originally Posted by Antinoise

When inserting an effect on a channel...insert it half way down the chain instead of at the first spot. That way, if you add a second effect or eq you can insert it before or after the original effect. (This would not be an issue if you could freely bump effects up or down the chain).
    You can in fruity ;)

90's Trance head

Quote Originally Posted by IQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Antinoise

You can in fruity ;)
    stop it iq :lol:
    Sequence is coming. It's going throughout your imagination. It takes you where you've been before. A higher state of mind. Yeah, you remember the early times. Now were trying to take you again. In the deepest seas of your consciousness.....Time never stops

BOA Lifetime Member

You may know this but I only found this one today...

CTLR-K to creat a copy of a part (say a 1 bar arpeggio)..use this to fill out your track, then whenever you edit the notes in the orginal copy, the changes are implemented in all the followin gloops...

hope that makes sense!

BOA Lifetime Member

nice but U have 2 make sure the last part ends exactly at the end of a bar 1/2, 1/4 otherwise yeah new part gets pasted exactly after the end of the last one and it can end out quite a mess and out of time/ place.

Also if u make ghost copies everytime u change one of them u change all ... or if it asks u can convert into a normal part and afgect only that one!!

Z

BOA Lifetime Member

Does anyone the shortcuts jpeg for sx

BOA Lifetime Member

I got the links in an old post somewhere... just look around m8!

U can always make yer own though! ;)

Z

BOA Newbie

When using VST instruments along with effects in cubase, a delay will sometimes be introduced (this applies especially to dynamic processing effects such as the compressors/limiters that come with cubase). This does not apply to audio channels however, so if sometimes things just dont seem right - its worth checking and mixing down the offending channels.
    Also, never underestimate using mono samples. Only use stereo if you really needs it. Apart from the obvious file size reduction, mono can provide all kinds of advantages.... which I cant be bothered to go into now so just do it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast