Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Administrator

Default <Logic Audio Top Tips>

A great sequencer and one for the mac diehards out there. What are everyone's favourite tricks/tips?

Ultimate Freak

not a tip but an observation: so supposedly 'No One' in techno uses logic... interesting that there have been no responses to this topic. damnit, i so prefer my mac! ;)

Junior Freak

I'll make a common tip.

set-up your autoload to include all of the normals...i.e. rewire/ midi/ audio/ audio instrument tracks.

Junior Freak

on a mac:

press control 6: use this window to draw in synth lines with mouse. The velocity tool is great!

control 5: for drum sequencing. only problem here is that if you have multiple drum samples mapped on a chromatic scale you can only see one note (i.e. C#) at a time.

Use the Send slot to send a track's (track 1) signal to a bus (bus 1). Then Set an AUX or more than one AUX to receive the signal from that bus (bus 1). This way you can plug in seperate effects to the various AUXs and use the level on the AUX to very the saturation of effect on the signal individually (delay on AUX 1, Reverb on AUX 2, autofilter on AUX 3, or whatever). Do not put any effects on the bus or original track unless you want to effect the entire signal...

if you want to side chain an audi Instrument on the Logic compressor (say your kick is created from a soft synth plug-in, and you want to side chain it to some high hats), you must send the audio instrument signal to a bus.

anyone alse?

Supreme Freak

I used to set up hyper draw views for my synths when i used it, definitely learn how all the hyper draw windows and views work.

I reprogrammed all the command keys (and put little stickers all over my keyboard), if you do this then it's worth knowing that there's a file, LOGIC32.PRF or something in your windows directory, you can take it with you when you move between studios so you keep all your favourite key command but I'm not sure where it'd be on the Mac.

EXS24 is a great place to keep your drum sounds for easy access but it still isn't as tight as actually moving the audio around in the arrange window.

BOA Newbie

learn how to use screen sets and set them up the way you like in your autoload song.

quick tutorial: screensets can be switched with the normal number keys 1-9, they each contain some setup of windows. screensets can be locked so they return to a set stage every time you switch sets, locking is controlled with shift-L by default.

for example my default setup:
    screenset #1: arrange and small audio mixer
    screenset #2: matrix editor (piano roll), if i select an object from the arrangement screen ja press key '2', it jumps to a fullscreen piano roll
    screenset #3: fullscreen arrange with zoomed view for track automation editing
    screenset #4: audio window

etc.

BOA Newbie

use markers and keep a small marker list open with your arrange screen set (lock the screenset for convenience). map the marker dropping in a keyboard mapping you remember (my mapping is key ',' can't remember if that's the default)

Junior Freak

i use logic, have done for a few years (moved from atari cubase to pc logic to mac logic)

soz can't think of any tips tho

:lol:
    suck my tiny brain

BOA Newbie

maybe for the beginners (such as i)

the biggest helpfull tip i get was

vsti instruments in logic are called audio instruments :)

for the advanced user, this tip is not usefull, but for a beginner it might help clear some things out

greetz

BOA Newbie

made a move from cubase (pc) to lagic mac 2 years ago or something like that, and its the best thing i ever did
    sure it took me a while before i knew all the little things there are to know
    but after that.. BOOOOOOM