Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Junior Freak

Default Whats your techno scene like?

Hi guys/gals/lovers of the bang!

Just interested to see what the scenes are like abroad...is it all hard and banging? Is it a combination of "hardstyle" and techno?

Melbourne, for instance, is interesting to say the least! Hardstyle or Hard House *or, umm, shrugs* is pretty much at the forefront, although lately, we have played host *and tried* to cross genre things to lure the kids to the harder sounds of techno and it seems to be working...just a matter of time really...i plan to stage some strictly hard techno nights so hopefully the young party goers take to it...

But yea, very interested to hear what its like abroad...DSP has given me some insight into the Canadian scene, which is similar to ours here...

oh and i like this emoticon

*apologies if this has been posted already but "the new guy" is bound to put a foot wrong sometime right? ;) *

Ultimate Freak

great thread man, there might have been a thread like this but i havnt read it.

techno is not big here in calgary, canada.
    that doesnt mean that people dont love it. they do.

in fact, there are only about 3 other dj's who play the kind of techno that i play. ya know, hard techno as in mark eg, london techno, wilson, speedy j etc...

not that i mind really, that just means when someone wants a techno dj (which is starting to be in demand now, yay!) they book me :)

we have a tight close nit scene, a city with about a million people, if you are a dj, you know all the other dj's. there is no real segregation between genres either. for example, an average party will display everything from house to trance to techno to drum and bass to breaks.

there are some great promoters out here who really care about the community. i am involved in alot of those events, as i think that helping to create a safe environment will help attract new people to the scene, in turn getting people into my music...TECHNO!

soon this city will love the techno, its really an underground sound out here, really fresh, which i love because for the most part, every single track i play nobody has ever heard before!

i am interested to see other cities scenes, i look forward to moving to australia at the end of the year, hopefully i can help be a part of the techno scene out there....

Ultimate Freak

here in birmingham its quite vibrant.
    yeah, the HH kids do their 345832094hour parties and after, after, after, after clubs (watch the death toll rise as these people hit their 40s) then there's of course theres the HOG and the JAM. one sick, hard and wonky, the other big room, stadium kinda techno. then theres stuart who gets to book all of the interesting people and, to be damn honest, does things which actually reflect the techno scene really well. he does diverse bookings from acid through to minimal, sorts out wicked back rooms and has a great rep with his clubbers.
    theres tonnes of other stuff too, but if yer only talking techno............theres also, my minimal techno night on wednesdays in a swanky bar, and FHTs occassional nights of the more APOCALYPTIC TECHNO, good shit!!
    I dont know. You give people freedom and what do the do with it?
    WHATEVER THEY BLOODY WELL LIKE!

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    yeah, the HH kids do their 345832094hour parties and after, after, after, after clubs
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Supreme Freak

I hardly go out clubing today. I never seem to find a club/DJ who plays my style, so instead I stay home and mix with mates.

Plus, I don't find drugs as a novelty these days. I blew my mind too many times... Plus clubs and that aren't the same 'euphoric' places as they used to be. Bias, jaded talk here. Valley of the lost souls at some places, people look through you cause they can't see shite as for being soo of guts, people dancing to sick synth rifts What's the world coming to

Supreme Freak

Also I like the idea of crossing styles. A few producers / labels are doing exactly that, Natus...Composure.

Junior Freak

London seems fairly quiet for techno outside of the squat party scene. Lost and Nuclear Free Zone are the only long-running techno club nights I can think of at the moment, although there's usually one or two each month as well.

There's tons of techno in the squat party scene though... probably half a dozen or more parties each weekend, the majority of which play techno in at least one room. Lots of rigs - Malfaiteurs, Manik, Stinky Pink, Tinkerbell, Tribe of Munt etc etc.
    Vote techno party!

Junior Freak

here in holland techno is becoming more and more popular, but the big partys like awakenings and partys from id-t are very mainstream nowadays. There is techno but i think at least 50% doesnt even know it's techno they're just having a good time there and listen to all kinds of electronic music.

Then you have the smaller partys which of course are much more underground wich i prefer (of course!?) and their number is also growing i think. Because holland is not so big (quite small actually) the 4 main cities (amsterdam, utrecht, rotterdam, the hague) are easy to reach if you live nearby 1 of them. And for the techno minded people there's always at least 1 good techno party in one of these 4 cities every weekend.
    but it has to be said that in holland techno by far isn't as big as trance and/or hardstyle. But i think that's is a good thing and hopefully we keep it that way. It's better for the quality of the partys

Junior Freak

As for Dublin, the scene seems nicely set up. We have a very good regular Thurday night club run by Electricity (Check out that .pdf of Anorak #5 on HardSignal homepage: read Giles Armstrong). Basically bring over people most people have never heard of, (Alexander Robotnik, Makaton, Agoria, Tachsi, The Hacker etc. ) so get a healthy mix of electro AND techno.

Have a more mainstream techno night opening on a Tuesday. And then a couple of odd-strings every second saturday. AND one-off gigs happening pretty regularly.

I thought we had it bad, but from everyone else is saying, we're spoilt!

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dcdn
    . There is techno but i think at least 50% doesnt even know it's techno they're just having a good time there and listen to all kinds of electronic music.
    hahaha i know exactly how that is! alot of times i play people come up and ask me "what is this music? is it somekinda new genre?" weird

this is a great thread, i wanna know more!

hey DSP tell us about toronto haha

Junior Freak

was cool...then it became shit...then it was gone...
    now it is magma!scene is mega underground in my city!
    techno BRE !

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by el_satan666
    As for Dublin, the scene seems nicely set up. We have a very good regular Thurday night club run by Electricity (Check out that .pdf of Anorak #5 on HardSignal homepage: read Giles Armstrong). Basically bring over people most people have never heard of, (Alexander Robotnik, Makaton, Agoria, Tachsi, The Hacker etc. ) so get a healthy mix of electro AND techno.

Have a more mainstream techno night opening on a Tuesday. And then a couple of odd-strings every second saturday. AND one-off gigs happening pretty regularly.

I thought we had it bad, but from everyone else is saying, we're spoilt!
    electric city is dope ;o)

M.O.D.

in seattle techno is almost nonexistant. donald glaude plays some, but mostly of the more accessible variety, ala his buddy carl cox.

too much rock, too much trance for my tastes...but the weather is bleak enough that techno could really take off if introduced correctly.
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Ultimate Freak

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
    The scene is very weak here just as the rest of the U.S. at the moment. Though I feel its one of the top 3 cities for in the U.S. for techno at the moment. If you're into minimal techno, this town has a HUGE minimal techno scene. The minimal sales here at the record shops regularily outsell progressive house or jungle...the only one that really competes in house at the moment.

Events wise, there used to be a monthly going on here but thats been put on the backburner for the moment. We're working on starting up a new series of events beginning in March with Mark Broom. We have a small weekly on thursday nights here at a nice lounge where we beat it out all night. We used to get people like Carola, Lekebusch, Parisio, Vigorito, and Beyer here on a semi-regular basis but the main club called The Quest, their backers (Clear Channel) said no to techno. :(

Music-wise, this town is very inspired by Richie Hawtin. People here love all things trippy or twisted, but they also love to rock out. Lately the main sound is late-night techno ala Kanzleramt, Stewart Walker, Joel Mull etc. When people like to rock out here, they get into stuff from labels like Sway and Skunkworks. The schranz and glenn wilson records can be left at home, as this town isn't big on the compressed drum tools.

There's a ton of techno DJs here but only a few play out on a regular basis. Unfortunately, quite a few of the local DJs can't hold the decks together all that well, but the ones who do do it extremely well.

That's about it!

M.O.D.

don't forget woody!
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Ultimate Freak

ehhhh.

The Demon Beast

NEWARK NEW JERSEY

The Techno Scene is non existent.

Thank You.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Junior Freak

Thanks for the insight ppls...keep em comin!

Is techno in its form becoming "yesterdays" sound? We are experiencing a change here in Melbourne as well and its hard to "educate" because people often go with what they know. No one has attempted to stand out from the crowd and do something new *well, not yet ;) but its happening very soon!* Then again, what is "something new"? We were already blown away over a decade ago so whats the new wave?

BOA Lifetime Member

Liverpool - England

The scene here got a massive kick up the arse last year with a few new techno nights making a name for themselves, namely T-Funkshun. The boys behind T-funk have done their best to bring fresh, and i mean real fresh talent to Liverpool with names including:

Dj Bone
    Mike Grant
    Luke Solomon
    Stacey Pullen
    Surgeon
    Regis
    Chris Finke

all playing last year and totally rocking the club! There have been a few big upsets over the past year or 2, with the legendary Voodoo shutting down and Bugged Out's demise, and its safe to say that T-Funk is the number one techno night in Liverpool at the moment. There are a number of local Djs really flying the flag for Liverpool at the moment, with one being none other than my dj partner Brendan Long. He has impressed everywhere he went last year and the beginning of this year, he's been to Prague to play and has also played both Bugged out and the Voodoo NYE special. Also given a mention are again those T-funk boys, who not only run the club but happen to be superb Djs in their own right. It's a bit quiet on the production side of things, but there are a couple of local producers who are making waves at the moment, so fingers crossed!!!!

all in all i can see 2004 being a good year for Techno in the North West England!

Junior Freak

LEEDS - ENGLAND

This city is fast becoming one of the best places for techno in the UK, imo. The demise of The Orbit was a bit of a downer at the time but since it closed the techno scene has really taken off. In the past couple of months we've had some outstanding DJ's ranging from Garnier to Craig - from Surgeon to Aux 88 Live and the next few months look even better.

Gaetek, Mark Broom, DJ Bone, Octave One, Oliver Ho, James Ruskin, 65d Mavericks, A Tresor Tour featuring Regis Live, Derrick May, Oscar Mulero, Paul Mac, Grovskopa, Robert Hood and Steve Bicknell are all due in the next couple of months.

A perfect place to live at the moment and with Liverpool just 1 hour away us Northerners are really spoilt for choice. The problem now is - where do I find the money to see all these lot.
    Here to keep techno dark and dirty !!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast