Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.

Hybrid View

Junior Freak

Default berghain/ostgut ton style kicks

I've been trying to reverse engineer those big verby kicks (prime examples being len faki's bx3 and fengler's twisted bleach) but am coming up a little short. It sounds like they're midrange kicks on top of massive compressed 808s with processed verb. is there a specific technique to this or is just it a case of good craftmanship? how'd you guys go about it?

BOA Lifetime Member

Bump

I'd be interested to hear about some techniques for this as well
    Techno is a journey, not a race!

http://soundcloud.com/force

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by force View Post
    Bump

I'd be interested to hear about some techniques for this as well
    with sound they get i'm worried its one of those 'you need oldschool analog' cases.

one thing that's getting me pretty close is adding bit of verb to a kick, then parallel compressing it harddd. that gets the verb tail all distorted and if mixed in quietly with the original kick you can get a nice full, pumping sorta sound.

M.O.D.

i don't think they are using actual 808s.
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by SlavikSvensk View Post
    i don't think they are using actual 808s.
    what makes you say that?

for the low end layer it seems to me what you really need is just a basstone without too hard an attack. so wether its an overcompressed/verbed 808 or filtered acoustic rock kick or whatever shouldnt make a huge difference.

BOA Lifetime Member

I think its more they've created a bassline and fused it together with a kick.
    You could pretty much make this by making a kick with a big tail and envelope shaping the tail

Or you could just make a big rumbling sub, and have the kick tuned in so that it fuses with the bassline and sounds one and the same thing.

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace View Post
    I think its more they've created a bassline and fused it together with a kick.
    You could pretty much make this by making a kick with a big tail and envelope shaping the tail

Or you could just make a big rumbling sub, and have the kick tuned in so that it fuses with the bassline and sounds one and the same thing.
    I listen to BX3 and it seems like it's this.
    Some sort of sidechain with a tuned kick to the bass.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace View Post
    I get good results with this idea.
    Last edited by Veber; 19-11-2010 at 06:42 AM.
    My techno mix is posted somewhere

Junior Freak

Default delete thread ugh cant find delete option on edit

a
    Last edited by Veber; 19-11-2010 at 06:41 AM.
    My techno mix is posted somewhere

Junior Freak

Use a 909 and or 808 kick, drop the decay on em. Add a reverb with much pre-delay (so it bumps in off-beat, measure and compare with offbeat hihats) and late / early reflections, set a lowpass filter in mono to about 200-400 Hz (add a high-pass and cut away 0-50 (or more) on the verb channel and send to the kick (experiment with the send value, it doesn't sound good using way too much).
    Compress the kick a bit and remove some attack, add a low pass filter or EQ on that one too to reduce the click / attack transients and boost a little around the 200-300hZ while you remove some from 150-170hZ.

Experiment what frequencies works best for the kick in the current track or to the current kick. Notice you can get a nice effect not using the reverbs in mono for this but it gets more tricky with the low end phase problems but you can get around it, creates much nice space.
    You can also add a distortion effect to the kick and use it in an additive way. Best is to not make the distortion too obvious, just create some grit to it.

There's lots of ways but the above is pretty much what I do usually.