Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.

Thread: numark idj

Ultimate Freak

Default numark idj

what are your opinions regarding numark idj2?

do any of you own one?

can you dj in a club with it?

i want to start djing with fairly low budget and can fetch one of these for a reasonable price. of course having mp3's as opposed to vinyls and cds make this even more attractive purchase.

It is inevitable.

well I guess it all depends on what you feel would be better for you. Is cheaper better?

When I started out I had kam belt drive turntables. They were cheap and great to cut my teeth on. Now I won't use anything other than Technic 1210's. Thats not a snobbery thing either, they are just better than anything out there IMO.

At the moment you are thinking big which is good, you're already thinking about playing out- but learn to walk before you run.

As for Numark- I'm not familiar personally. What I do if I am unfamiliar is look for reviews online, Youtube in particular.

Good luck with it mate. Have fun with it.
    Bás Ar An Impireacht

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBlack View Post
    well I guess it all depends on what you feel would be better for you. Is cheaper better?

When I started out I had kam belt drive turntables. They were cheap and great to cut my teeth on. Now I won't use anything other than Technic 1210's. Thats not a snobbery thing either, they are just better than anything out there IMO.

At the moment you are thinking big which is good, you're already thinking about playing out- but learn to walk before you run.

As for Numark- I'm not familiar personally. What I do if I am unfamiliar is look for reviews online, Youtube in particular.

Good luck with it mate. Have fun with it.

hi danny. in an ideal world i would buy technics for vinyl and pioneer 200000000 but we have to deal with monitary issues.

this little machine has got good reviews, although it looked little flimsy first hand.

i wish someone here bought it and gave me clue on ins and outs of it.

BOA Lifetime Member

I'm not too keen on those things tbh. You'd need 2 ipods to use with it, and you also can't do things like looping, which is an essential for me.

Do you have a laptop? If so, maybe consider something like this:

NUMARK TOTALCONTROL Numark Total Control MIDI controller - the best and cheapest DJ equipment in the UK with free delivery

That is the mixer I have. It's a bit basic compared to some, but you get a free copy of Traktor LE with it, so that means you get the mixer and the software together, for pretty much the same price as the IDJ. Full looping funtionality in Traktor, the mixer has kill buttons on all 3 channels (nice), it's got a range of FX, and if you get good at it you can program your own mapping to the funtions in Traktor, tho it does come with a template so you can literally start playing out of the box.

You obviously have the tunes, as you have them on your ipod, and you must have a computer or you couldn't be on the internet, so yeah, as long as your computer is a laptop, and it meets the minimum requirements for Traktor (or Numark Cue, which is also included in the box) then you're good to go.

If you're looking to get started mixing, but on the cheap, then I'd definitely suggest this way. It's also more useful for future - I have never seen anybody DJ'ing in a club with the IDJ and to be honest I don't think I ever will. They are quite gimmicky and not really for professional use. Getting started on digital mixing with laptop is better, cos Traktor etc are very much used in clubs and bars, so you will be learning the right tools for use in future.

BOA Lifetime Member

You'll need a soundcard, so you can split the channels and play Track A out loud in the room, and Track B in your headphones for mixing, for example. You can get them pretty cheaply tho, if you look around. My first one was a Creative Soundblaster, which cost me about £35, but you can find cheaper ones than that.

If the soundcard eats too much into your budget, then you could possibly look into this mixer instead:

Hercules DJ Control MP3 E2 USB DJ Controller with Software - DJ Equipment from Djkit.com=

I haven't used it myself but I saw it at a house party a while back and it seemed like it'd be good for a starter mixer, to learn on. It comes with Virtual DJ, but Numark Cue which I mentioned above is basically a branded version of the same program. It is literally a basic, started mixer, but you got to start somewhere and there's no point splashing out £1000 on a mixer, only to find that you don't really like mixing after all!

Ultimate Freak

thanks for your informative reply teknorich however the newest numark idj(idj2), you would only need one i-pod to mix.

BOA Lifetime Member

Just had a look and yeah, the IDJ2 is quite a lot improved from the first one. Only need one ipod and it now has looping funtion, which is sweet. Definitely better than the first model.

As for Numark, they aren't the best quality, and my mixer is quite plasticy, but at the same time I've had it for about 2 years, and it has taken a battering at after parties etc etc, and still works. One play button sticks a bit now, but it's lasted well considering it hasn't been wrapped in cotton wool.

Ultimate Freak

yeah when i had a look first-hand i noticed that the buttons looked bit filmsy. the lcd screen looked nice. at 349 dollars it is not too far off the other laptop mixers you have recommended. what do you think is the best option for me? and once again thank you for going out of your way to answer my question mate.

Ultimate Freak

ok it is down to this:

hercules rmx, numark total control, or omni control.

which one you lads would recommend?

Ultimate Freak

vestax vci 100, any opinions?