Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    BOA Lifetime Member

Default Pacou Vs Youtube

One of the best user channels for Techno on Youtube - Vermin96 - has been closed due to complaints from artists whose music he had featured:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Artists including Lars Lewandoski, aka Pacou.

What's your thoughts on this? Does anyone actually rip music from Youtube, in all it's 128kbps glory? Is that something for artists to fear?

Personally, I'd think it was good to have your music on youtube, cos it is streaming only and too low quality to be worth ripping, so it is basically just free publicity. Things like Soulseek, Filestube etc are FAR more dangerous to your earnings as an artist, as people can download high quality MP3's of tracks, which will lose you sales. As Youtube is streaming only, is this going too far?

Ultimate Freak

pacou = lars ulrich of techno

Supreme Freak

Any artist in 2010 who thinks their music is so holy that it cant be streamed at 128 on youtube because of copyright issues needs their head looking at

Give me the name of any artists release in the last 6 months and I'll point you to a free download link - theres nothing to be gained by stopping people streaming your music at low quality on youtube when as Rich says above the WAV or 320 is all over the net - Its promo, put it down to marketing.

Not being funny but the guy in question makes Techno, hardly the most desirable form of music these days or any days for that matter. I can kind of get my head around popular music artists hitting out against piracy because of the massive loss of revenue they can suffer but a spotty kid streaming shit quality techno to his mates on built in laptop speakers? - Man up FFS

Techno's target audience is among the most technologicaly savvy demographic in the population, if people dont want to pay for your music they will find a 320 or WAV with only the most minimal of poking around. I know I do.

Artists I respect or admire or just plain like their music or style - I pay for their shit

The Universe

aah it's just pacou.
    if it was anyone else id be worried :)

It is inevitable.

Who is Pacou?
    Bás Ar An Impireacht

Junior Freak

no such thing as bad press eh. Two words - Frankie Bones.
    ROFL.

Junior Freak

Maybe it's not necessarily about copyright, Pacou may not like his music in such a degraded format.

IMHO you can't stop the tide of people copying music so there's utterly no point in trying to stop it. I personally think the criminals are the one making vast sums of cash when they have utterly no talent at all (That's a dig at fat cats, not artists, before it gets thrown out of context :)

It is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by qUE View Post
    Maybe it's not necessarily about copyright, Pacou may not like his music in such a degraded format.

IMHO you can't stop the tide of people copying music so there's utterly no point in trying to stop it. I personally think the criminals are the one making vast sums of cash when they have utterly no talent at all (That's a dig at fat cats, not artists, before it gets thrown out of context :)

This.
    Bás Ar An Impireacht

BOA Lifetime Member

He probably doesn't like how it sounds on shitty ipod speakers, or rubbish soundsystems, or horrible car stereos either, but it seems a dumb move to ban it.

Youtube is a great way to get to know new tracks, promote new tracks and cross promote other tracks. I can never understand why some people actively try and hobble other people's attempts to promote them.

Ultimate Freak

I'd like to think this.
    We are Darkfloor.
    Our record label Darkfloor Sound has now launched, check out DRKFLR001.

We are Mantis Radio - broadcasting Darkfloor electronica since 2007
    Podcast | iTunes

Junior Freak

I have found some of my releases on you tube & it didn't bother me at tall as far as I can see it's good promotion I don't worry about people ripping my tracks off you tube as the quality is at 128 which is really bad sound quality which will sound crap through a loud sound system in a club at the end of the day if people like the sound of the release they will buy it
    All u need is a good ear for music!

The Demon Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmode View Post
    I have found some of my releases on you tube & it didn't bother me at tall as far as I can see it's good promotion I don't worry about people ripping my tracks off you tube as the quality is at 128 which is really bad sound quality which will sound crap through a loud sound system in a club at the end of the day if people like the sound of the release they will buy it
    Real Talk
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

BOA Newbie

It's almost as if Pacou doesn't want his tracks to get more publicity, youtube has been a great source of finding new (and old) music for me, for the last while so i find it very strange that he is complaining about his track being there and having the risk of people ripping it off at 128. As stated before aswell why bother ripping a 128 off youtube when there are so many websites that will have 320 versions off his tracks.

Go after them, not youtube.

Ultimate Freak

pacou is a dork.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace View Post
    Youtube is a great way to get to know new tracks, promote new tracks and cross promote other tracks. I can never understand why some people actively try and hobble other people's attempts to promote them.
    This.

Youtube is promotion. Anyone who freaks out about Youtube is definitely behind the times when it comes to understanding the myriad ways they can be ripped off in high quality fashion.

Dumb overreaction is dumb.