Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Funky Techno

Supreme Freak

well to me funk is not inherent to techno as somebody mentionned ... most of the dark stuff isnt funky, and thats obviously the dark techno addicts like miro laugh at people requesting funky techno.

to me, drumcode isnt funky label too... the label has produced some interesting dj tools imo, but i dont wualify them of funky

i dont think the funk can be described.. most of the time it really depends on the dj who mixes it, the way you play records really brings the funk .. just look the difference between surgeon and derrick may ways of mixing, each has its own particular genre, and not saying theres one better than the other, i would say each one has its different way of thinking techno

to me, some kewl funky labels are : sls, ingoma, purpose maker, teknotika... the thing is that the purists will diss these labels saying they are "cheesy" but well this is becasue htese guys are funk haters

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by tioneb
    some kewl funky labels are : sls, ingoma, purpose maker, teknotika... the thing is that the purists will diss these labels saying they are "cheesy" but well this is because these guys are funk haters
    :clap: :clap: :clap:
    I don\'t do crack... I would never do a drug named after a part of my own ass - dennis leary

Supreme Freak

well to me funk is not inherent to techno as somebody mentionned ... most of the dark stuff isnt funky
    I disagree, some people just can't hear/feel it unless it's made really obvious/contrived. Unless people are either incompetent or going out of their way to produce something cold, bland and lifeless then it's usually there...whatever "it" may be.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by death on a stick
    well to me funk is not inherent to techno as somebody mentionned ... most of the dark stuff isnt funky
    I disagree, some people just can't hear/feel it unless it's made really obvious/contrived. Unless people are either incompetent or going out of their way to produce something cold, bland and lifeless then it's usually there...whatever "it" may be.
    Well I agree that funk is not inherent to all techno (Alex Empire for example) but most techno you would listen to in a club has a funky groove.

Supreme Freak

You mean Alec Empire? I thought his stuff was classed as Digital Hardcore? See "bland, lifeless" as above. Contrived, also.

BOA Lifetime Member

techno purists can suck my ...

Supreme Freak

what's a techno purist?

Ultimate Freak

Thanks for the help those who gave it, I'm off now to find some "funky techno" and you lot can carry on with your debate on whether it exists or not.

Ultimate Freak

funky`s original meaning is weird.

its funny how funky became the exact opposite. funk can suck my cock.
    mikaaa, you are crazy mika...pepito, mikito,pepito,pepito,pepito,culo,pepito.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Addict
    Thanks for the help those who gave it, I'm off now to find some "funky techno" and you lot can carry on with your debate on whether it exists or not.
    enjoy it for next 6 months - 2 years.

Junior Freak

Of course Alec Empire´s released some techno a while back

I'm off now to find some "funky techno" and you lot can carry on with your debate on whether it exists or not.
    Innit!

BOA Lifetime Member
    Birkenhead, shithole but it's my shithole.

first rule of techno is funk ;)
    lol the trance has gone

Supreme Freak

Thanks for the help those who gave it, I'm off now to find some "funky techno"
    Good for you. Will you be checking out the examples I gave you? Not sure you'll find all of them in HMV (you'll find most of the other examples down there though).

Do you use soulseek? That's an excellent way to discover new music, lots of obscure stuff on there.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by death on a stick
    Thanks for the help those who gave it, I'm off now to find some "funky techno"
    Good for you. Will you be checking out the examples I gave you? Not sure you'll find all of them in HMV (you'll find most of the other examples down there though).

Do you use soulseek? That's an excellent way to discover new music, lots of obscure stuff on there.
    Look mate, the only reason I called it that is because that was what I was told it was, I didn't make the name up. I came on here to get some help finding a certain sound I happen to like and all you've done is take the piss. What's the point? Sorry if I offended you by calling your precious genre something it isn't but like I said I'm pretty new to techno. Get a fukin life will ya!

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Downwards
    first rule of techno is funk ;)
    If only it was the case... :lol:

I thought the first rule of techno was there were no rules??? I can see where death on a stick is coming from, don't take him the wrong way, his heart's in the right place ;)
    At the end of the day, there's so much stuff that could be considered "funky techno" thats all different it's hard to know what you're looking for, check out the online shops, like Juno, and just randomly listen to stuff in the techno section, best way to hear new stuff you've never heard of I recon..
    Whether stuff has got the funk is totally subjective, I personally don't find stuff like drumcode funky, but some people might.. I can't be arsed with arguing the toss with someone on a msg board who is convinced it is..

S'funny, the people who bang on about the 'purists' strangely seem to be the same people who won't open their ears up to anything other than what they're currently into...

Junior Freak

....and all you've done is take the piss.
    That's not "all" he's done. He has also made some very good recommendations : Red Planet, UR, Robert Hood, Kenny Larkin, Cristian Vogel, Derrick May, Akufen, Carl Craig, Stephen Brown, Dan Curtin, DBX, Model 500, Farben etc.
    Check 'em. ;)

Supreme Freak

Look mate, the only reason I called it that is because that was what I was told it was, I didn't make the name up. I came on here to get some help finding a certain sound I happen to like and all you've done is take the piss. What's the point? Sorry if I offended you by calling your precious genre something it isn't but like I said I'm pretty new to techno. Get a fukin life will ya!
    What the f.u.ck are you on about? You're an idiot. Learn to read. What precious genre? I've given you better information than any of the people who've cited the stale generic twoddle that spotty teens do drugs to.

Ultimate Freak

dont listen to what death told you to pick up - i think u r looking for stuff someone else listed like primate, jericho, marco bailey, umek etc.

Supreme Freak

yeah, I know what he's asking for, I just thought I'd help him to avoid wasting his time on that crap and get straight to the good stuff. And he thinks I ain't helping?

BOA Lifetime Member

Listen addict, I`m affraid there are some techno snobs on this forum lurkin about. "Funky" techno does tend to be more dancefloor friendly and sometimes crosses over to tech-house. Some people consider music that people actually like and DANCE to, to be below them, but what is important is to listen to what you like, there have been some good examples given on this thread, ignor the sarcasm and go explore.
    You can get some very ass shakin` hard and dark techno as well, but I think the stuff your referring to is the more "Techy, Proggy" kinda thing.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast