Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    BOA Lifetime Member

Default Scholes talks sense, but Neville talks 'nonce-sense'

Retired Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has questioned Arsenal's pedigree, insisting "they may play the prettiest football, but it doesn't always produce the results they need".

And Scholes appeared to take a dig at Arsene Wenger's failure to deliver the Gunners a trophy since 2005, claiming that his former boss Sir Alex Ferguson wouldn't have allowed such a drought.

The former England star enjoyed his fair share of duels with Arsenal during a stellar 17-year career and saw United pipped to the title by the North Londoners in 1998, 2002 and 2004; but Ferguson's list of triumphs - including 12 league championships and two European Cups in the Premier League era - towers above Wenger's achievements.

Scholes does not believe the Gunners are about to get better any time soon, either, and predicted that United's traditional rivals may be forced to endure further tough times ahead.

"They just flatter to deceive,'' Scholes said. "They may play the prettiest football, but it doesn't always produce the results they need. It doesn't irritate me that people say they're the best footballing team because while they are doing that, we (United) are winning games.

"They do play the best football to watch at times, but what is the point of that if you are not winning anything? Not only that, they are potentially going to lose their best players in (Cesc) Fabregas, (Samir) Nasri and (Gael) Clichy.

"I don't think our manager would allow this club to go six years without a trophy.''

Paul Scholes: Arsenal flatter to deceive - ESPN Soccernet

Gary Neville does not agree with assertions that Barcelona will be the pre-eminent force in football for the forseeable future and is confident Manchester United will soon be more than a match for the current European champions.

GettyImagesBarcelona taught Manchester United a footballing lesson at Wembley

• Barca machine tear United to shreds
    • Barca masterclass seals trophy
    • Fergie: Barca the best

United were comprehensively beaten by Barca in the Champions League final for the second time in three years when they went down 3-1 at Wembley in May.

Led by two-time World Player of the Year Lionel Messi, the Catalans have been hailed by some as the greatest club side of all time but Neville, who amassed 19 winners' medals at Old Trafford before retiring in February, does not believe Pep Guardiola's side will continue to dominate for years to come.

The former England international was part of the United side that overcame a much-lauded Juventus outfit - who they had lost to three times in the previous two seasons - on the way to claiming the 1999 European Cup, and Neville thinks Barcelona will also be caught.

"We had young players who strived to get to their (Juventus') level and eventually you get there,'' the former Red Devils captain told the Manchester Evening News.

"You climb that mountain and it is tough. But I think we will progress and we will get there. I think the likes of Man United and Real Madrid will get past Barcelona in the next two years.

"Next season will be tougher for them because teams like United and others will learn. Things go in cycles.''

Gary Neville predicts Manchester United will soon match Barcelona - ESPN Soccernet

Villa, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Mascherano, Alves are arguably the best in the world in their positions, and Pedro, Pique and Puyol are up there as well, then there's the small matter of Lionel Messi, best player ever. And their real strength isn't how good they are individually, but collectively (Messi aside) and he seems to think United can not just beat them, but be better than them in just 2 years when most of those players have 5-10 years ahead of them.

It's funny how that didn't happen after the 2009 final, the gap seems to have got bigger. And United have spent nearly £60m so far without really moving forward.

No doubt he also thinks Beckham will realise he's gay in 2 years time as well.

Scholes was spot on though, he's a legend, whereas Neville was more of a passenger.

BOA Lifetime Member

don't think that your acceptance of the comments scholes made hides your bitterness, because it doesn't
    Numeric

BOA Lifetime Member

Don't think that accusing me of bitterness hides your bitterness, because it doesn't.

BOA Lifetime Member

Yeah, anyone who doesn't think United will be the best team in history in 2 years time is bitter. I forgot you seem to fancy Neville, so I suppose it's understandable you taking humbridge.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Yeah, anyone who doesn't think United will be the best team in history in 2 years time is bitter. I forgot you seem to fancy Neville, so I suppose it's understandable you taking humbridge.
    Again give it up!

BOA Lifetime Member

nev

it's not beyond the realms of possibility that united will be the best in two years time, his comments are fairly reasonable to someone whose perspective isn't bitterly twisted through their teams lack of silverware
    Numeric