Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Ultimate Freak

Default Techno artists whom you hated for changing their musical style

Lets discuss your favourite artists who changed their style to your disappointment:

My ones are:

1. Adam Beyer from Swedish Techno to Minimal bollocks.

2. Kiko good italo disco electro to minimal.

3. Oxia Detroit techno to minimal.

Ultimate Freak

preach from techno to trance but he is back to more techno releases now.

umek techno to minimal(i do like some of his electro stuff).

kanzyani from techno to commercial techno.

Supreme Freak

there aint alot out there that have stuck to there roots tbh.

think it would be easier listing the ones still doing the same as they did a few years ago...

BOA Lifetime Member

Chris Liebing comes to mind,loved his Fine Audio and CLR stuff..
    POLITICALLY INCORRECT AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by FuK-NuT View Post

think it would be easier listing the ones still doing the same as they did a few years ago...
    ]

which stands out the most?

Junior Freak

Don't really hate artists for doing it, just now don't respect them because they didn't stick to their convictions for the sake of money.

Neil Landstrumm is a prime example of someone who had a pretty unique sound in Techno and then went off to jump on a new fad genre bandwagon.

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by qUE View Post
    Don't really hate artists for doing it, just now don't respect them because they didn't stick to their convictions for the sake of money.

Neil Landstrumm is a prime example of someone who had a pretty unique sound in Techno and then went off to jump on a new fad genre bandwagon.
    I hear you RE: Landstrumm, WTF about Jamie Lidell!!
    Some of his new soul stuff is pretty good however; i bought the multiply album for instance.

On a different genre, what about Dizzee Rascal. His commercial stuff is absolute shite, Boy in da Corner was wicked.
    God Run Tings

Junior Freak

+1 about that...

In that context I have to say I'm disappointed seeing Jay Denham or Joey Beltram playing "modern minimal", also disappointed with the new sound of Cisco Ferreira, Umek, Kanzyani, Adam Beyer,... can't believe when I hear the sound of the recent Drumcode or Synewave...

Also I'm disappointed when I see some good mixers only looking to the laptop and drinking, combing the great bangs, talking with the young fangirls at the stage....
    I miss too much that people mixing vinyls with their own hands, taking risk, sweating and making something unique at the time.

BOA Newbie

I have changed musical preferences many times over the last 20 years because I have got bored. It must be ten fold for producers.

Junior Freak

Don't hate him but Beyer's style is so far removed form the classic beyer material of old.

Where the **** is Dave Clarke these days? Hate him for not releasing new tunes on vinyl. One of my favourite artisits from way back when he was doing oldschool.

BOA Lifetime Member

I realize he's gone back and forth, but I miss hard Richie most of all, then Beyer and Lekebusch. I'd also like to see Colin McBean do some stuff with Cisco again, just for old times' sake.
    Head Honcho with the Ladies

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by eppertheleper View Post
    I realize he's gone back and forth, but I miss hard Richie most of all, then Beyer and Lekebusch. I'd also like to see Colin McBean do some stuff with Cisco again, just for old times' sake.
    Ditto. Hawtin used to be excellent, and as for Beyer; Drumcodes was a force to be reckoned with. The Advent is far too lightweight/bouncy for me nowadays, his new stuff just doesn't cut it.

The recent FUSE set I posted up here was the first time in a few years I've heard Dave Clarke bang it, but I'm not getting my hopes up that he is returning to his former glory. He used to absolutely ROCK any club; fast, banging, pumping drums, always keeping you on your toes, chopping in and out of records, keeping people dancing & sweating... Good times!
    Last edited by teknorich; 03-05-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Junior Freak

for me henric b

Supreme Freak

all i can really say to all this is thank fuk for my record collection....

mp3 releases just aint cutting it for me just now, sure i get by but its just not
    the same imo...my techno buying frenzy started 10 years ago buying labels like
    punish, hydraulix, stigmata, drumcode, compound, blackout audio etc and probably most
    other loop based tribal bangers....i actually spend more time on discogs adding to this sort
    of collection.

WHAT THE FUK HAPPENED????

Junior Freak

all i can really say to all this is thank fuk for my record collection....

mp3 releases just aint cutting it for me just now, sure i get by but its just not
    the same imo...my techno buying frenzy started 10 years ago buying labels like
    punish, hydraulix, stigmata, drumcode, compound, blackout audio etc and probably most
    other loop based tribal bangers....i actually spend more time on discogs adding to this sort
    of collection.

WHAT THE FUK HAPPENED????
    Hard techno got tarnished with the image of a grimey room full of sweaty blokes thanks to the snidey post-2000 minimal lot trying destroy Techno's popularity and market their scene as a modern, safe and stylish alternative. But what actually happend was that post-2000 minimal music was an inoffensive and accessible format which you could easily sell to anyone and make a heap of cash from. Of course now it's trendy everyone just emulates whoever is popular, and hard techno went back to it's roots in the underground.

BOA Newbie

Hard techno got tarnished with the image of a grimey room full of sweaty blokes thanks to the snidey post-2000 minimal lot trying destroy Techno's popularity and market their scene as a modern, safe and stylish alternative. But what actually happend was that post-2000 minimal music was an inoffensive and accessible format which you could easily sell to anyone and make a heap of cash from. Of course now it's trendy everyone just emulates whoever is popular, and hard techno went back to it's roots in the underground.
    Doe's it even have any life left in the underground?

Junior Freak

Uh yeah, there are still plenty of people producing the style so it's very very much alive and kicking.

I started a group a while back on soundcloud to discover if there was anyone else still making hard industrial techno, and loads of people came out of the woodwork from all over the globe.

BOA Newbie

Uh yeah, there are still plenty of people producing the style so it's very very much alive and kicking.

I started a group a while back on soundcloud to discover if there was anyone else still making hard industrial techno, and loads of people came out of the woodwork from all over the globe.
    People may be producing it, but the scene in London is very much dead.

Supreme Freak

sounds about right to me fella...

the little minimal collection i have was bought early 2000 for the soul purpose
    of warming up my events, i actually enjoy these records more than the pap being
    churned out now.

sad days, all events around here all blasting out the 124 - 130 bpm techno fad, no
    structure to most nights ive been to of late, actually not a hint of knowledge or
    experience imo. the only good thing coming out of it is more youngsters getting into
    techno beats but i can garantee there knowlege of techno will hardly go past the last
    couple of years. everyone playing of traktor (badly), i fear to mention a set of
    technics to most without getting told to get with the times lol

SHITE STATE OF AFFAIRS...not enjoying it.

Junior Freak

sounds about right to me fella...

the little minimal collection i have was bought early 2000 for the soul purpose
    of warming up my events, i actually enjoy these records more than the pap being
    churned out now.

sad days, all events around here all blasting out the 124 - 130 bpm techno fad, no
    structure to most nights ive been to of late, actually not a hint of knowledge or
    experience imo. the only good thing coming out of it is more youngsters getting into
    techno beats but i can garantee there knowlege of techno will hardly go past the last
    couple of years. everyone playing of traktor (badly), i fear to mention a set of
    technics to most without getting told to get with the times lol

SHITE STATE OF AFFAIRS...not enjoying it.
    Yeah, I'd never diss minimal done by robert hood or dan bell and that era, and dare I say it early plastikman, panikattack is still one of my favourites of that genre.

And don't get me wrong about the move to digital tech. I think all in all it's a good thing, I'd be hypocritical if I said otherwise since I've been developing software way before ableton and traktor came along. It's just there needs to be some middle ground, mixing can still be done with decks and software, even if it's the holy grail of mixing down tracks realtime, a dial-board mixer would be more skill than just automating it with presets. Trouble is, the whole playing live whether it being turntables/mixer, synths/samplers or loop layering, it takes a huge amount of skill to do it realtime and years and years to master and develop your own style. People are inheritely lazy and will always take the easy route, use someone else's sounds/presets and style, rubbish anything that might whip away the illusion you've put in some effort, showboat and take the credit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast