Who gives a **** who's softened up, who's changed their style.
I still listen to Slayer. You know why? Because they are still ****ing SLAYER, and because they are honest to do what they became known for and try to be better at it everytime.
An even better example, Cannibal Corpse, they remain brutal, and get better at what they do everytime.
The techno producer, and "fan" are ****ing fairweather, bending their tastes and production styles to the masses and what attracts the dollar.
Techno has changed, because the artist has allowed it to change them, all in pursuit of a buck. To the producers and dj's who don't depend on this medium for their source of income, they remain true to art, which last time I checked, techno was supposed to be, an audio artform. But to the victor the spoils, I am not burnt, because I'd rather listen to cats who keep it true to their art, like my brother DSP, than I would another artist who was the shit in the late 90's early 2000's and went with the crowd.
The answer shouldn't have been to alienate themselves from techno or hard techno, it should have been to do it better, and do it better consistently, the listener should have been able to tell the two apart, even if eventually.
I don't, haven't and never will depend on music for a living, because it is unrealistic unless you make music for the masses, or are just a lucky cunt, who people happen to take a liking to your material that much.

In the end, I hate no one, respect, well, whatever, I'm a grain in the sand, but I wish there was a new slamming couple of releases from Skoog, Wilson, Slobodan, Headroom, Hardcell, you know, the guys who did it right the first time around....