Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BOA Newbie

Default How do I produce this style of Techno LOOP/track?

Hello BOA.

I am curious on how to go about producing this style loop/track. "Not the vocal of the spanish horns loop" Just the kick, percussion etc. Is it basically a bunch of random loops (low, mid and high range samples) blended together? (with ADSR separating them in a nice position till it sounds good) I can't tell if it has any sidechain/compression etc. Any help would be great.

Thank you very much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi0TOxKE1Ag

if link doesn't work the track is Ben Sims - Manipulated (Adam Beyer Remix)

ps i use fl studio if this helps your explanation...

VERY APPRECIATED!

BOA Newbie

Can anyone help define that style of Techno also. Im guessing its just called TECHNO....so many sub genres nowadays who knows. Just for curiosity its not life or death. =)

Junior Freak

If it's the same track I think it is, it's a cut and paste of a old brazilian carnival track plonked on top of Mr Sim's original track. Only thing that might be rocket science on it is the bending of the timing on the sampled percussion which you'd need to do in an editor with dynamic pitch/resample bending.

BOA Newbie

i know that part. i am more curious on how the original beat or groove or loop was made. i read something about delay then reverb compressed with a basic kick hi
    hat snare house beat will give it that sound as long as the feedback is set to a particular setting. is this how chris liebing makes his music as well? thank you for any info

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by doomraider View Post
    i know that part. i am more curious on how the original beat or groove or loop was made. i read something about delay then reverb compressed with a basic kick hi
    hat snare house beat will give it that sound as long as the feedback is set to a particular setting. is this how chris liebing makes his music as well? thank you for any info
    Delayed Kick and Hats with Reverse Gate and Compression.

BOA Newbie

Oh ok great! Thanks so much. Now I gotta figure out gow to do a reverse gate. Any idea how to do that?

BOA Newbie

is reverse gate called something else i can't seem to find any information on how to do it. thank you

Junior Freak

It's an abreviated term for reversed gated reverb, it's basically a reverb in reverse which is "capped" from overloading the mix. I suspect there are VST plugins which can achieve it. Pretty sure Reason has the effect on it's virtual units.

Ultimate Freak

listened to this track many times.

it was featured in many mixes as well.

BOA Newbie

do i need to make basic 4/4 beat then add reverb...export it..import it back in ..reverse again or something? thanks

Junior Freak

do i need to make basic 4/4 beat then add reverb...export it..import it back in ..reverse again or something? thanks
    I thought this might come up. There are generally two ways you can do it;

a) If you want to manipulate everything live then you'll need to run the patterned rhythm (from a sequenced drum machine/sampler or virtual) through a delay echo to "double" up the beat or this could also be done by adding a half velocity drum in between the kick. You then run that through a reverse gate and tweak the gate until it sounds right, then finally through compression, I don't use it myself, but if you want everything to sound loud then you add compression, tweak the compression so everything is "punchy".

b) If you're triggering sampled rhythm loops, build up the rhythm either by using a drum machine/sampler and sampling it, virtual drum machine and exporting it or literally cut & paste the kicks, hats, toms etc. in a sample editor. Once you've got an un-effected raw loop, load the loop into an editor and add delay to double up (if necessary), add reverse gate and add compression (adjust as needed).

There are several things on the market you can use for rhythm sequencing, I use none of them so your mileage may vary. For virtual, why not give Buzzmachines a whirl (although I've used the old version, dunno how good the rewrite is).

Cool Edit (now Adobe Audition, ugh) as a sample editor is loaded with features for audio effecting and has a timeline for cut & paste.

qUE

BOA Newbie

thanks QUE! i use fl studio now...and i use kick samples etc...sometimes loops and ADSR them to make them my own ..but basically ill make a good groove now..with kicks hi hats n snare for example. then i reverse it add reverb or delay or both ..export that...import it back in to a new track.file/song etc...reverse it back...and side chain it to a kick that has no fx on it yet...am i on the right track? is that a reverse gate...bcuz when u say add a reverse gate that is my main issue i don not understand if I'm actually adding the reverse gate and not realizing i am...lol...i tend to over think things sometimes and need them explained as if i was an idiot because otherwise my brain says,,,WHAT if you're I'm doing it wrong...thanks and sorry about all this confusion...

BOA Newbie

also is gate just another way of saying side chain or since it creates that stuttering in the volume going up and down....( i know I'm under explaining the potential of what it does) just trying to see if gate is basically a side chain or what is the difference...

BOA Newbie

Did u see my question?

Junior Freak

Did u see my question?
    TBH, I haven't used fruity loops in a very long time, IIRC it's similar to Tracker which I have used and what I use now is similar. Afaik what you can do with FL is build up the beat in the note grid using shot kick, tom, hat, snare samples and then route into VST effects. This mean if the beat isn't quite right you can edit it, and if the effects need to be tweaked as it's playing they can be, although I think you'll need to get a bit technical if you need to store the live setting of the effects in the track, maybe FL has a live record thing for this? I dunno.

BOA Newbie

Still not sure if I need to reverse all the sounds and add reverb before or after etc. maybe import ut back etc.

BOA Newbie

also is gate just another way of saying side chain or since it creates that stuttering in the volume going up and down....( i know I'm under explaining the potential of what it does) just trying to see if gate is basically a side chain or what is the difference...
    Hi Doomraider,

I am a fellow FL Studio user and am probably at the same level as yourself. I am equally confused to the following terms when producing:

1) Ducking effect.
    2) Gate.
    3) Parallel Processing.
    4) Compression.

Thanks to the following link some of this is explained really well. Having folowed the ducking effect example on this website i appreciate / understand the reasons behind it and for using it.
    I think i am much like yourself, if i do not understand something fully and can't get my head round it then i can never use use it properly.
    I just can't get my head round compression yet.......... I find it doesn't make that much difference to the ooomph of my bass or other things for that matter (p.s. i use headphones only as my wife and 2 very young children aren't really bass / techno lovers) so I don't know if this is the problem; i doubt it though.
    I have started ****ing around with Fruity Prametric EQ 2 and this is a great tool for making things souns better.

Anyway check out these tutorials:

http://howtomakeelectronicmusic.com/tag/fl-studio

http://www.youtube.com/user/AcePincter

God Run Tings

Junior Freak

Still not sure if I need to reverse all the sounds and add reverb before or after etc. maybe import ut back etc.
    Trouble with just reversing the loops and adding reverb is you won't get the same control as if it's gated.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...te-plugin.html

BOA Newbie

wait ...by reverse gate u mean that it allows only the sounds under the threshold and not the normal over the threshold? i thought u meant a sound that is put into reverse then add a gate to that backwards sound?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast