Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Junior Freak

Default Windows 8 – A benchmark for music production applications

Junior Freak

If the new Audio API is anything like the drivers in Windows CE, it'll be awful.

Also I wouldn't hold your breath about Windows on ARM being very good performance at all. I mean getting the existing audio apps. for Windows NT to run anything true realtime is a bit of a joke tbh. even with a huge amount of processing power :/

Junior Freak

windows ce ? are you serious ? why windows ce if windows 7 x64 can beat them all even windows xp by almoust 50% (better performance and more stable)

yes its consumes more ram but the system runs faster and the aplications use multiple threads , windows xp use 1 thread for all OS (one file controles all the OS)

example:

1 problem in XP = crash and system reboot

1 problem in win7 = 1 aplication asking for close (in the worst of the cases becouse sometimes you didnt even notice your app got a problem)

its funny how people see ram consume as a problem , and think the old OS´s are better becouse they use 200mb ram and the new ones use 1GB

test the audio latency in both OS´s , test how many minutes of diference both OS´s use to copy a big file from a drive to another...

using windows xp or any OS based on XP is like using HALF of your processor and ram (xp is recomended for a pentium 4 and the first dual cores only)

i was beta tester for windows 7 in 2009 (if im not mistaken) and i never look back , even using a quad 6600 + 4GB at the time

if windows 8 will be even better then windows 7 we can expect miracles from this OS (forget METRO graphic interface , you can disable that and use the classic graphic interface)

by my tests in the last version of windows 8 RTM (REALEASE TO MANUFACTURE) everything is running faster and even more stable , sometimes with 25% better performance

sorry if my post dont match with your subject but you started a real crazy discution here... windows ce? windows nt? jesus...

yes windows consumes resources becouse you have to run 2 appz (windows + your daw) the only solution is reverting all the ms-dos (no graphic interface you only run the app you use, like your daw for example)

but that is not possible this days and we need to use what is the best at the time , and for now windows 7 x64 is the best OS ever made for PC users , and if windows 8 will be even better we only have to be happy about that

ps: anyway this is just a little talk im not the type of person to start a discution becouse of little things like this
    Last edited by Elvio Neto; 12-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.