Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    BOA Newbie

Default Percussion to fit the 303 or vice-versa?

Hi there.

After 15 years of Acid Techno dj`ing I finally took the plunge about four months back and started out learning to make my own tunes on Ableton. To begin with I just took basic tutorials in getting around the daw, basic production techniques and so on then started practicing percussion loops and basic sequencing.

For 303 duties I`ve been using abl2 (although that`ll change as soon as I can afford me an x0xb0x ) and to start with (whilst i got my head around everything else) was just playing around with preset patterns. A few weeks back it came time to move on to something new so I learnt to use the internal sequencer to make my own patterns.

Anyways, getting to the point; I was wondering what order other people tend to build their tracks in?... i.e. do you program an acid line that you like and then build the percussion and everything else around that or do you get a nice percussion loop going and then try to make a 303 line to fit?

Obviously I know there are no hard and fast rules about which order to put together tracks etc but am interested in what works for you guys and if you have any tips on the subject.

Thanks in advance

Junior Freak

I work on rhythm first and then build up from there, since that's going to be the bit that people are boogieing to. Although I don't do much in the way of lead lines, I tend to explore the dynamics and harmonics of the mixed rhythm, textures, pads and lines, see what comes out, it's normally really slight riffs in odd frequency ranges and sounds which aren't intentionally there, some vocal like others very organic. I also explore getting the sequencer to do desyncronised loops and to make pitch/timing decisions for me, giving the tracks even more a life of their own.

But then again if you want a track that's popular, don't do what I do ;)

BOA Newbie

Thanks for the reply :)Haha- a track that`s popular... I`m making Techno here ;)Nah, seriously though; making poular tunes hasn`t even entered my mind, just want to make stuff that interests me. If other people like them then that`s just a bonus as far as i`m concerned.Yeah, figured that the rhythm was probably most important and to then build around that. Suppose if I want big 303 lead lines then that`s probably as good a place as any to get the initial rhythm from... Take that and create more groove around it with percussion.Know what you`re saying about sounds etc that aren`t intentionally there; it`s been happening in my tunes more and more of late. I`ll put together various elements and other sounds will appear from the combinations. Have been enjoying isolating the individual sounds which make up part of this `new sound` and playing around with them to see what knock on effect it has.Just had a listen to a few of your soundcloud tunes too; See what you mean about the pitch/loop variation etc in them. How do you go about doing this? Are groove templates and the like a decent enough place to start?
    Last edited by Meatwad; 27-09-2012 at 02:29 PM.

BOA Newbie

Sorry for the double post but does anyone know why my paragraphs dissapear when i press `submit`? Just edited paragraphs back into the above post about four times only for them to dissapear again :?

Junior Freak

This is a good place to start if you're doing acid techno ;)
    http://www.loopmasters.com/product/details/702

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jackblack View Post
    This is a good place to start if you're doing acid techno ;)
    http://www.loopmasters.com/product/details/702
    Nice one, cheers :)

Was actually one of the first sample packs i invested in. Don`t really use the samples any more as they`re already covered in processing and i,m into learning all that stuff myself. Do constantly use them as a reference point for the kind of sounds i wanna re-create using straight 909 samples though. The loops are excellent for giving me inspiration when i`ve got block too; I just try and re-create them... They never end up anything like yours but it`s a great starting point!

:)

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
    See what you mean about the pitch/loop variation etc in them. How do you go about doing this? Are groove templates and the like a decent enough place to start?
    We use a prototype system I developed, it's quite old now and there still isn't anything like it atm. I'm pretty sure the sample loop systems allow desync, but I couldn't tell you with MIDI, of course you could create different length sections in cuebase/logic and copy/paste it over and over, but it's static once you've made it. SWT tells me the Akai MPC sequencers can do it, but syncronising everything seems a bit rocket science.