Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Freak

Default Monitors that can take a battering

well i certainly am a disheartened chappie this morning :(

a couple of weeks ago i bought some PMC TB2 monitors and just as i got em i blew up my old KRK K-ROKS which i intended to sell to partially fund the PMC's..
    This morning i blew the ****in PMC's up :cry:

what am i going to do? i need a set of monitors that can go ****ING loud when i want them to, handle a HEAP of bass when i want em to, sound the shit & arent going to ****ing blow up on me!

any ideas? - this aint helped by the fact that im now skint either, but i know im going to have to spend some real money here (somehow) to get what i need.

:cry:
    jimmah!

BOA Lifetime Member

:cry: maybe get some quested they seem like they can take a battering! :(

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Lifetime Member

Were they active or passive , i believe its much harder to blow active speakers as they usually have some internal overload protection , just a thought
    STAR WARS IS ALMOST AS CRAP AS TOLKIEN

Ultimate Freak

yeah good point... both my sets were passive, ive never tried actives, maybe its time i did..

i checked out the quested stuff and it seems they olnly have ****in huge speakers or little compact nearfields.. i really need somthing like a big nearfield / small mid.. i have quite a big room and no noise restrictions currently :)
    jimmah!

BOA Lifetime Member

HR 626 actives?
    Quested F11`s?
    Genelec actives (serious dollar)?
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Junior Freak

The Mackies are an excellent choice for actives... Go the HR826s (HR626s big brothers) if you wanna go REAL loud ;)
    You were once a helpless infant that used to piss and shit on itself, as was I. We\'re all the same. Respect yourself.

Ultimate Freak

are they the ones with 2 woofers? the ones u sometimes see as a center in mackie surround setups? i think turnkey have a deal on them actaually - i might just check em out :)
    jimmah!

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by networkacid
    The Mackies are an excellent choice for actives... Go the HR826s (HR626s big brothers) if you wanna go REAL loud ;)
    i have the mackie 626`s with a 400 watt mackie sub , sounds fat , you might be better off with just 824`s and no sub though.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimfish
    are they the ones with 2 woofers? the ones u sometimes see as a center in mackie surround setups? i think turnkey have a deal on them actaually - i might just check em out :)
    those ones look the bollox , read a good review of them also

Ultimate Freak

what about fostex PM-2 ?

they look pretty meaty for £450..

anybody heard em?
    jimmah!

Keepin' it Unreal

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    Genelec actives (serious dollar)?
    Deffo the genelecs! Shear quality, and loud as ****! Ive cranked some of these babies right up and never had a problem with em.

BOA Lifetime Member

M8 there is a certain limit from which yer perception of freq. gets totally off... Fletcher_munson curves (not absolutly sure but I think the best is 86 db spl)... anyways I tend 2 monitor low when doing the basic level/ pan/ efxs... then Crank it up 4 bass consistency/ distortion... and a damn good bass wind in tha face! :P

Working lots of time with loud level is a killa, avoid please... I know quite some people with earing probs from this...

Sorry just though I should remind ya b4 u went 2 crazy on the seach 4 the lost db! ;)

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Lifetime Member

ear fatigue also sets in quicker at louder volumes, your ears get tired quicker, still love to crank it up though.

Ultimate Freak

ah no, i dont listen loud all the time, but when i want volume i really want volume if ya know what i mean..

i buggered the pmc's up with that ****in EQ built into the powercore when playin around with some drum and bass :cry: . Slip of the mouse - man that EQ is evil though!
    jimmah!

Junior Freak

get a limiter on there... and make sure you got plenty of power in your amp too...

you can easily nuke monitors with an amp that cant give it nice solid sinewaves even if they are rated at 3 times the wattage..

If you get a decent amplifier you wont be able to destroy your monitors even if you put the resonance on somethin up full whack and your ears bleed..

active monitors suk most of the time also..

BOA Lifetime Member

experience recomends that u always keep a limiter at the end of the chain just in case!!

Z

Ultimate Freak

ah good plan.. well i think i had the pmc's amped ok, but im no expert on amps.. i had them bi-amped with a pair of samson servo 260's which i cant see would have underpowered em. i dont really know tho - im lame at understanding all this amplification stuff :cry:
    jimmah!

Junior Freak

if ya want real loud, look at the SPL rating on the monitor... e.g. 88dB/W.. go for the highest (e.g. 90dB+/W.. loudness doesnt really rely on power its the speaker.

yu can put 10000W into a hamster and it still wont be as loud as an ALBA ghetto blaster. (just).

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by thorin
    get a limiter on there... and make sure you got plenty of power in your amp too...

you can easily nuke monitors with an amp that cant give it nice solid sinewaves even if they are rated at 3 times the wattage..

If you get a decent amplifier you wont be able to destroy your monitors even if you put the resonance on somethin up full whack and your ears bleed..

active monitors suk most of the time also..
    active monitors are far better at reproducing a flat frequency response
    than passive ones and lets face it thats what you need to engineer decent tunes, and you can still destroy monitors with a good amp

BOA Lifetime Member

Actives r generally better cause they've been worked out 2 maximize the sound of the speakers... so they r "costume" built 4 those... they better their weakness and work within them.

It's always better 2 have an amp more powerfull than the monitors and then work 2 the limits of the speakers with out getting near 2 their FP (frying Point :P ).

Sampson don't seem 2 b the best choice for such good monitors as the pmc's! :(

Z

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast