Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    BOA Newbie

Default FAO MARK EG - SOFT SYNTHS?

Hi there Mark and everyone else.

I have just discovered this site - wot a bloody great find.

I have been producing hard trance for a couple of years now, doing everything on a PC. I was wondering if you ever use any softsynths for
    lead lines ?

I have experimented with layering different sounds together to try to get a novation-style fat saw-tooth sound, but it never sounds the way I want. Can you recommend any sources for lead sounds.

I have been experimenting with the likes of the PRO52, Triangle II, JUNO X2 etc.

I hear a soft version of the V? station is to be released, so perhaps that will be a winner...
    BOOJ

Administrator

concentrate on that pro 52.... the pro 53 is out too - amazing synth.

there's nothing wrong with soft synths...

Ultimate Freak

A: make sure you have the right trancy chords - not sure what these are (cos they make me want to puke :lol: ) but when you hit them they can make a fart sound trancy...

B: put some filters moving about when you are auditioning sounds on a loop....a lot of these synth sounds really come to life with a bit of ye olde filterin' (pro52 often sounds a bit dull to me untill i filter it about and then it is DADDY!!!!)

C: dont forget a bit of reverb and perhaps delay!!

all the synths you mentioned canachieve trance results.... even most of the ones free with cubase can....even the ****in bass guitar synth can....
    its really all about what keys you are pressing.....
    jimmah!

Keepin' it Unreal

also try arpegiating your riff. A lot of trance uses layered arpegiators at the mo.

Junior Freak

check out the rgc audio z3ta. Six oscillators, 60 built in waveforms and tons of useable presets to give you an idea of what it can do... Can be a little processor-heavy though, given the 6 oscillators. My favourite though is still the pro53. Just like the pro52 but with a highpass filter included.

Supreme Freak

Default sonic maximiser

just a tip to bighten up your synths.... BBE Sonic Mazimiser... load it as an insert and it will make the top end of your synth sound beautiful... you know how with softsynths at the top of the filter they dont quite go "ssssssshh" like a hardware synth... now they will. lovely stuff. you can use it on your whole mix too. which is nice.

Supreme Freak

Its also makes yer riffs sound a bit thinner... cleaner but thinner... it depends what sound your going for,
    Ive found this plug in can change your riff from lets say a grindin shokk soundin riff to a clean , thin ferry corsten soundin riff.........

Supreme Freak

i'll be honest jon i havent noticed any thin-ness whatsoever... i mean you eq the sound after its been through it, so... hmmm. but hell, what do i know?

Supreme Freak

get a pair of mackies or any studio monitors for that fact and listen again.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by log:one
    i'll be honest jon i havent noticed any thin-ness whatsoever... i mean you eq the sound after its been through it, so... hmmm. but hell, what do i know?
    I EQ my riff, and record it and tend to put the max-er on the final recording (if it needs it)...... innit, what the hell do you know? :D:D:D *** joke ***

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by baptismo
    if i had some money i would.
    the alarm clock\'s going off. but you\'re not waking up. this isn\'t happening.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by log:one
    Quote Originally Posted by baptismo
    if i had some money i would.
    Ive told ya, come and use mine anytime...... honestly mate, it will make a difference....

BOA Newbie

Hi All

Baptismo What Monitors do u have if u dont mind me asking?? :P

Supreme Freak

Default fao bassjunkie

Mackie HR 624's :):):):) I reckon their an incredible set of monitors, i swear by them :):):):)