Ive been sitting talking about the fact I've been using SGI machines to do alot of my stuff with, and I forgot to mention the biggest reason why I use them because I'm just so used to it

SGI's use the X windows GUI interface, and that lets me send the display from an application running on one machine, onto the monitor on another machine.

For example, when I'm ready to record to dat, I can connect to the machine its hooked up to, and send the display of the application to the workstation Im sitting at instead of getting up and going over to the other machine and typing on its keyboard. It makes things run smoothly and lets me do anything on another machine near the rest of the gear instead of moving

Ive tried various software packages for windows that let you do the same thing, but past using teleffect, it doesnt work well

(teleffect is an applicaiton that runs on windows and on SGI, so I can use one keyboard and mouse across multiple machines. When I move the mouse off the SGI screen, it seemlessly carries over to the windows display. Placing monitors is easy, having a whole bunch of keyboards/mice laying around the rest of your gear is annoying)

Mike

You go in hard, and you go in fast.