Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Junior Freak

Default Processing question for fruity users....

I read that a good trick to give your drums some energy is to send all drum parts (kick, snare, hi hats etc..) to a separate send channel and compress/ eq your drums this way.

The situation:
    I put each drum part on a separate fx track to process em each individually. On my send 1 channel, i slap an eq followed by a compressor. On all my fx tracks containing drum parts that i want to send to the send 1 channel, i turn the send 1 knob to full.

The problem is that the sound picks up this 'air' type of sound if that makes sence. I thought it was just fruity but that same thing happens on logic 5.1.

I hope this makes sence. Any help would b appreciated for an ultra novice like myself. cheers

Junior Freak

You are using samples for your drums? If that's the case, my guess would be that the samples have some noise in them, and the compressor is bringing that noise up to a noticeable level.

Try inserting a gate before the compressor, and set it so it chops the drums to give a cleaner sound. If that doesn't help, take a look at the samples you're using and maybe find some cleaner ones.

Hope that helps.

Junior Freak

I guess U r using 2 much send on each fx channel... u can process, each one individually or do a few groups like hats, toms, snare, etc.. then each fx channel can b routed 2 another fx channel (just look at the bottom of the mixer, u'll find a output slot, which is normally routed 2 master).. so just do each one individually and then slap' em all together on another fx channel and compress that 1!

hope this helpz,

Z

Keepin' it Unreal

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Ze Mig L
    I guess U r using 2 much send on each fx channel... u can process, each one individually or do a few groups like hats, toms, snare, etc.. then each fx channel can b routed 2 another fx channel (just look at the bottom of the mixer, u'll find a output slot, which is normally routed 2 master).. so just do each one individually and then slap' em all together on another fx channel and compress that 1!

hope this helpz,

Z
    Baah, beat me to it again Z ;)

Junior Freak

no prob u can get the next 20 ;)

Z

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Ze Mig L

hope this helpz,

Z
    yep that's it. I assumed that the send knob had to be turned up all the way. Simple fix. cheers! :)