Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Supreme Freak

Default need specific filter... suggestions?

Alrighty guys, I need another filter for my collection. Rack or desktop, doesn't matter...

It needs to be stereo (with both channels controlled by one knob), highpass AND lowpass (either serial or switchable) with envelope follower on the lowpass...

Any suggestions?

Supreme Freak

...and it obviously needs to be analogue. I'm curently using a Micromodular for this task.

Supreme Freak

the vermona filters would do what you ask if you can live with the fact that they don't have midi.

Supreme Freak

good call.

that vermona action filter looks useful... its missing the envelope following function I was after but it could still do the trick.

wish I could try one around here, we don't get much vermona gear in this part of the world...

Supreme Freak

they also make a dual filter, and the envelope follower can be assigned to filter 1, filter 2, both in the same direction, or both in opposite directions. the follower only has an intensity setting though, with no attack/release, so it's not as flexible as some more expensive filters like the mutator. but the sound is really warm and rich, and somewhat moogish.

BOA Lifetime Member

sherman filterbank?

Supreme Freak

it's mono. if you have the cash you could get two and link them i guess.

Administrator

i have the sherman. it's amazing on one sound.... but as for the whole mix, forget it.

i saw davey the d using an akai thing last time we were round at his studio. i have to say it seemed to do the job beautifully.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    i have the sherman. it's amazing on one sound.... but as for the whole mix, forget it.

i saw davey the d using an akai thing last time we were round at his studio. i have to say it seemed to do the job beautifully.
    akai mfc 42, picked mine up for about 200usd (new!)
    real analog 8-poles for mono sources 4-poles for stereo and lower if you really want, it's got midi sync as well as all the controls can be done in cubase or logic or ableton via midi cc's. it's ****ing wicked!!!

http://www.akaipro.com/productsMFC42.html

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Evil G
    they also make a dual filter, and the envelope follower can be assigned to filter 1, filter 2, both in the same direction, or both in opposite directions. the follower only has an intensity setting though, with no attack/release, so it's not as flexible as some more expensive filters like the mutator. but the sound is really warm and rich, and somewhat moogish.
    That sounds exactly like what I'm after mate :love: cheers :)

RE:akai MFC42, I also thought about this one. Does it have an envelope follower? (please say yes because its nice n cheap)

RE:Sherman, already have and it's not the sort of filter for this job. It would be cool if Mr Gillis designed a simplified less agressive stereo version. Theres an idea...

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Komplex
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil G
    That sounds exactly like what I'm after mate :love: cheers :)

RE:akai MFC42, I also thought about this one. Does it have an envelope follower? (please say yes because its nice n cheap)

RE:Sherman, already have and it's not the sort of filter for this job. It would be cool if Mr Gillis designed a simplified less agressive stereo version. Theres an idea...
    http://www.akaipro.com/productsMFC42.html

"The MFC42 offers a modulation section with multi-waveform LFO and ADSR Envelope generator that can be used to modulate the cutoff and/or resonance of either the stereo or mono channel, with a programmable depth control. The LFO can also modulate the L/R phase of the stereo channel."

so that's a yes.

Supreme Freak

that's wicked they are making the mfc42 again. i tried for a long time to get one from ebay with no luck.

Supreme Freak

I thought the mfc42 only had lfo action. good news :)