Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.

Thread: hardware synths

BOA Newbie

Default hardware synths

Ive being using software vsts for a while now and Im thinking of getting a hardware synth but are they worth buying or should I stay with software.

Supreme Freak

What do you want the hardware synth to do?

I think you need a specific purpose to splash out the money on hardware these days. If ur just getting a random va (virtual analogue) synth you can stick with software and get good results.

BOA Lifetime Member

Only hardware worth getting is true analogue.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Junior Freak

Go analog if your going external, for sure. Depends on your budget though. You can spend $300-3000. Something old Roland can be had somewhat cheap on Ebay. Analog will give you more of a presence..(however they are a little more limited (in general) than digital synths.)

Recomended synths with aprox prices:
    $300-400 -- Old rolands (Sh101, Juno 106, SH-9 (bass) for leads and basslines)
    $500-600 -- Dave Smith's Evolver (for weird noises to leads), Korg Monopoly (leads), Studio Electronics ATC1 (grindy leads)
    $700-$1000 --Jupiter 8 (or mks-80 with programmer, rack version of jupiter with Midi!)
    $1500 -- Oscar (Grindy synth for leads)
    $2500 -- ARP 2600 for everything

The only digital syth I endorse is the electro monomachine. $2000 new or $1400 on ebay... The other things to conceder are analog efx/compressors to run your digital vst's thru.

Personally I have an Oscar, a Roland MkS-80, a Jomox Sunsyn, a Retro 777, and a Monomachine.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Antinoise
    Go analog if your going external, for sure. Depends on your budget though. You can spend $300-3000. Something old Roland can be had somewhat cheap on Ebay. Analog will give you more of a presence..(however they are a little more limited (in general) than digital synths.)

Recomended synths with aprox prices:
    $300-400 -- Old rolands (Sh101, Juno 106, SH-9 (bass) for leads and basslines)
    $500-600 -- Dave Smith's Evolver (for weird noises to leads), Korg Monopoly (leads), Studio Electronics ATC1 (grindy leads)
    $700-$1000 --Jupiter 8 (or mks-80 with programmer, rack version of jupiter with Midi!)
    $1500 -- Oscar (Grindy synth for leads)
    $2500 -- ARP 2600 for everything

The only digital syth I endorse is the electro monomachine. $2000 new or $1400 on ebay... The other things to conceder are analog efx/compressors to run your digital vst's thru.

Personally I have an Oscar, a Roland MkS-80, a Jomox Sunsyn, a Retro 777, and a Monomachine.
    http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB...ic.php?t=33173 <-- Dave Smith's Evolver for sale, top class synth.

Junior Freak

i used to own a alesis andromeda A6, that was pretty cool.

BOA Newbie

Thanks was thinking of getting a Juno-106 seen it for £77 on ebay.

BOA Lifetime Member

Whoa, get it.
    The 106 is a great synth.
    One of my faves, I`ll never part with mine.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Supreme Freak

true analogue synth's really do kick the arse off plug-ins, some of the noises are so phat.

Parsnip

Our resident gear junkie, Gaz, just got hold of a Juno 106 and it's awesome.

He got so pant-wettingly excited by owning some real analogue hardware that he ended up going on to spunk £1,800 on a Moog Voyager. (Which Royal Mail appropriately left sitting in his driveway for hours). Which is, apparently, also sick.

Supreme Freak

I still don't get into the juno 106 hype they're half digital. There's always a bunch of broken ones coming in at work. If you're ever buying one TRY not to pay too much for it as it's bound to go in for repairs a few times at some stage...

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by fresh_an_funky_design
    true analogue synth's really do kick the arse off plug-ins, some of the noises are so phat.
    Rubbish.
    I have both
    Well, had both.
    Nearly everything has been sold, because I can replicate the results perfectly well with software.
    The only limitation lies with the user.
    A lot of people with software simply don`t know how to use it or treat it properly. These kind of people probably couldn`t get any better results out of either analog or software as they really don`t know what they are doing.

I still don't get into the juno 106 hype duh! they're half digital. There's always a bunch of broken ones coming in at work. If you're ever buying one TRY not to pay too much for it as it's bound to go in for repairs a few times at some stage...
    Well, the Oscillators are DCO`s but everything else is analogue, so you still get major phatness.
    Never ever needed any repairs on mine, and I`ve had it since I was 12 years old.
    So that`s, erm, 18 years.
    It`s gigged all over europe, and was used in an industrial band, so it got treated fairly roughly.
    As for the hype.
    Well, play it. Underworld swear by them, and If you want soaring leads or lush chordal stuff, it`s top.
    The chorus is nice, and adds suitable size to any sound.
    Filter can really sing too, especially when coupled with some overdrive.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

the 106 is the daddy, im off to have a look on ebay for that £77 one
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by dan the acid man
    the 106 is the daddy, im off to have a look on ebay for that £77 one
    Yeah, I was gonna say...

If I spotted a synth on eBay for silly money, last thing I'd do is go mouthing off about it on a Techno production forum. Watch those bids come steamrolling in.

Supreme Freak

my first kit consisted of a korg electribe and a juno 106. the electribe is long gone, but i wouldn't give up the juno for anything.

Supreme Freak

I still don't get into the juno 106 hype duh! they're half digital. There's always a bunch of broken ones coming in at work. If you're ever buying one TRY not to pay too much for it as it's bound to go in for repairs a few times at some stage...
    Well, the Oscillators are DCO`s but everything else is analogue, so you still get major phatness.
    Never ever needed any repairs on mine, and I`ve had it since I was 12 years old.
    It`s gigged all over europe, and was used in an industrial band, so it got treated fairly roughly.
    As for the hype.
    Well, play it. Underworld swear by them, and If you want soaring leads or lush chordal stuff, it`s top.
    I have played it, alongside many other analogue synths. It's probably a taste thing more than anything. You don't need to convince me ;)

My advice is reasonable. Only Buy second hand it if its cheap(ish). When it starts ****ing up it'll happen a few times till all the filter chips die and the service + part fee's add up because there are 6 of them and they aren't made anymore.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Komplex
    As for the hype.
    I have played it, alongside many other analogue synths. It's probably a taste thing more than anything. You don't need to convince me ;)

My advice is reasonable. Only Buy second hand it if its cheap(ish). When it starts **** up it'll happen a few times till all the filter chips die and the service + part fee's add up because there are 6 of them and they aren't made anymore.
    Well, I`m still waiting for mine to **** up.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Supreme Freak

if people are bringing them into the shops for repairs, it's probably more a testiment to people's love for them. when they break, the owners fix them, rather than putting them out in the trash. it was introduced in 1984, so you can imagine some have been around. i'm glad to say mine is in perfect condition, despite being used hard at many shows.

BOA Lifetime Member

Get analogue , everything else is a computer anyway .
    STAR WARS IS ALMOST AS CRAP AS TOLKIEN

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Evil G
    if people are bringing them into the shops for repairs, it's probably more a testiment to people's love for them. when they break, the owners fix them, rather than putting them out in the trash. it was introduced in 1984, so you can imagine some have been around. i'm glad to say mine is in perfect condition, despite being used hard at many shows.
    Older things seem to last better though don't they..? I have an SH101 that had been sat in some guys dusty loft for 4 years then out in the rain half a day in a rubbish pile and it's fine!
    Pure F*ckin' Noize Terror...