Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

bingo.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by holotropik
    BTW, just because "Britney" or whoever the f*ck sells records doesnt mean its good music.....
    Correct. So, should I swallow that you ould stop making music because Britney Spears is more popular?

its just marketed right to ignorant fools who have no taste.
    Actually, the production work on her albums is quite good. It's no less programmed than any techno. What makes "techno" any better? Taste is entirely subjective and, when used in this context, the domain of boring elitists.

Sure you can say..."But its all opinion or taste"....but that dont make it right coz the "taste" you refer to is governed by the ignorant sheep who swallow the tosh thats dished up to them by super-marketing hype.
    Funny. I could make the same argument that you are an ignorant sheep who was steered into listening to techno. You just buy a different hype.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

BOA Lifetime Member

what are you trying to prove spurting out all this s*ite?

Supreme Freak

Don't believe the hype, if you want to concentrate on marketing and promotion, then you sacrifice the quality of the music - sorry but that's the way it is, I can't name one original quality techno track that has been marketed, promoted and hyped, that's the beauty of the music.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by schlongfingers
    Don't believe the hype, if you want to concentrate on marketing and promotion, then you sacrifice the quality of the music - sorry but that's the way it is, I can't name one original quality techno track that has been marketed, promoted and hyped, that's the beauty of the music.
    That's why you have someone else concentrate on marketing and promotion. They're usually called a manager or an agent. Let's not pretend that techno artists don't have their music marketed, hyped, or promoted.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

Supreme Freak

OK, what good ones do?

Supreme Freak

And please tell us who your manager and agent are, obviously you're following your own advice here so any tips on marketing and promotion are very welcome.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    perpet, i had to post this up - it's totally an issue for me and we needed to talk about it - BUT we didn't need to slag mccormy.

excuse me ? i didnt slag him mark, i said i was wondering if ppl would have found out themselves had you not mentioned it..

how long was the message on his forum before you posted it ? did anyone else here see it before hand ?

THATS my point.

i left the dj/live circuit & stopped sending out deomos because i think the machine wrapped round the music is a disgrace. egos & wallets & 4 star hotels & all that s**t

you take the money out of it & see how many ppl still graft. it was never about money. f**kin never...

ppl are missing the point. THATS why i left the scene & jus make me loopz for others to use for free.

i never got a f**kin penny for a single f**kin beat, but thats not why i left.

i didnt get into this for £££. i got into it cos techno rocked. it moved me. and anyone else wanting anything else out of it should get the f**k out & take your cheques & dj fees & stick them right up your f**kin arse..

THE MONEY MEN ARE KILLING IT

how many would still do it if every single fee was removed ?
    featured on VOICES Vol 1 - TEMPL8R.1 - V/A - AVAILABLE SEPT

Ultimate Freak

Don't believe the hype, if you want to concentrate on marketing and promotion, then you sacrifice the quality of the music - sorry but that's the way it is

bullshit, its all part of the game. this is TECHNO. you think you are being inovative by using the technology to make music and neglecting your reponsibility to use the same technology to make your music available to the people, express your ideas on corresponding concepts etc.

your ideas are antiquated and conservative. these ideas belong to a rock musician who has managers and major labels to do the hard work for him. if you believ in your music, but not wnough to push it, then who will believe in you?

Ultimate Freak

and yes, big money kills all things "pure" but all we can do is fight the "superstar" and try to remain humble and reasonable. this will set us apart from the 3rd wave and eventually if we all can stay within the lines of reason, we can have an industry of peers working hard, not richie and sven being paid 20k to do coke in the booth.

Ultimate Freak

Don't believe the hype, if you want to concentrate on marketing and promotion, then you sacrifice the quality of the music .

bollox... absolute bollox

Ultimate Freak

MARK; SERIOUSLY CAN WE GET A TYPO EDIT BUTTON?!?!?!?

Supreme Freak

Well, we're all entitled to our opinions :)

Personally I prefer my music fluff free.

BOA Lifetime Member

OK, what good ones do?
    Subjective nonsense at this point. Anyone I could name would probably degenerate into something similar to another "schranz sucks" thread.

And please tell us who your manager and agent are, obviously you're following your own advice here so any tips on marketing and promotion are very welcome.
    I haven't used a manager/agent since 1998. The difference is, unlike many others, I'm not bitching about the fact that I'm not getting booked and nobody is hearing my music. That's a personal choice I've made. If you don't want to make the effort to be known, fine. Just don't later bitch about the fact that your best work doesn't sell as well as what you consider crap.

M.O.D.

money can corrupt artists in some situations, but let's be honest here...it's an unavoidable and central aspect of ANY industry or scene.

if you do not promote yourself, that's your choice of course, but it's gonna be that guy, maybe the one with the bongo loop track chris doesn't like, who spends hours and hours handing out promos, djing,and whatnot, who gets his sh*t out there.

that said, chris, i think, has always been swimming against the stream when it comes to this, while also being involved in the business side. if that's the case, realistically, reaching this point of frustration was somewhat inevitable.

so chris...i guess i'd say to you...don't quit...just take a step aside and find a way to make music where you aren't so involved in the bidniz side, and just put music out for yourself and for people to enjoy, by far the best reason...think fred gianelli...that guy absolutely does not give a sh*t about the industry, but keeps putting out innovative records...
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Junior Freak

First let me say, Sorry to hear you've made the decision you have Chris.

But seriously, what does it mean to "give up" on techno? Did you sell your gear yet? What about all the tunes you listened to for inspiration? Have those gone too?

Listen being a musician is not something you do, its something you are. And I see you're still continuing in musical endeavors, can you honestly tell me that 6 months, or heck even a year you're not going to sit in your studio and one day go...damn I want to make a techno track!

We all move on and grow, but as far as being an artist, I find it difficult to believe one would completely divorce themselves from a style they felt passionately about.

Divorcing yourself from the business is one thing, but the style? Rubbish. Yes we all make music with an audience in mind, otherwise we'd all be making masturbatory crap, but any good musician makes music that they feel inside. The best music comes across when the artist has no choice but to express what they've got inside.

And if you ask me, the money isn't killing techno. What money? Has there ever been any real money in this music? All the people making the popular techno tracks, how much are they really making? Great they can actually pay some bills, but is that really THAT much money?

No what's really killing techno is the elitism and inbreeding. This genre is so self-referential it kills me sometimes. Nevermind all the "yo what you're listening to is crap!" I've been guilty of it myself, but I realized what a terrible way to view it. A good amount of those Tiesto fans you slag off could be techno fans in a year if you approach them the right way.

Honestly for what essentially is party music, Techno takes itself Waaaaaaaaay too seriously.
    The Rev
    Ordained in the Ministry of Techno
    www.gothamgrooves.com
    www.myspace.com/therevufi

BOA Lifetime Member

i agree with that.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRev
    No what's really killing techno is the elitism and inbreeding. This genre is so self-referential it kills me sometimes. Nevermind all the "yo what you're listening to is crap!" I've been guilty of it myself, but I realized what a terrible way to view it. A good amount of those Tiesto fans you slag off could be techno fans in a year if you approach them the right way.
    Honestly for what essentially is party music, Techno takes itself Waaaaaaaaay too seriously.
    :clap: Can I get an Amen? ;)

Ultimate Freak

tiesto

ahm... wtf ?

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual
    tiesto

ahm... wtf ?
    Case in point:

There's a kid that comes out to EVERY techno party in NYC. I mean religiously, unless he has to work (he's a bartender). He's always getting down like a madman.

He prays at the altar of techno.

What did he used to listen to? George Acosta. Used to be his favorite DJ.

Another case.

My roommate used to get amped about Tiesto and all the big name DJs of that ilk. Then I started taking her out to Tronic, and all the techno parties. Now she listens to techno more than I do! Is more amped about the techno parties than I am, and has no interest whatsoever in the trance parties.

My approach with her was never, yo I can't believe yo go to that shit, it's awful. Instead I took the tack, "Yo, you like that, you should really check out THESE parties."

Of all the modern forms of music that don't fall under the realm of descending from the classical / composer world, straight up techno has got to be some of the more inaccesable music out there. It's pretty abstract and holds few roots to "popular" music.

People like Tiesto and Oakenfold, or before them "bands" like Crystal Method and the Prodigy (where did stuff like that go?!?!)provide a gateway to this music. If we sit here and slag them off, as well as anyone that listens to them we alienate future consumers of our music. Because honestly, youre average person isn't going to go from the melody / hook driven music that dominates most of the airwaves to techno. They need a bridge. Why burn that bridge?

That's exactly what the general techno populace has done for the last someodd years. And what harvest have we sown?
    The Rev
    Ordained in the Ministry of Techno
    www.gothamgrooves.com
    www.myspace.com/therevufi

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast