Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by TheRev
    Honestly for what essentially is party music, Techno takes itself Waaaaaaaaay too seriously.
    bravo! :clap:

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual
    tiesto

ahm... wtf ?
    Case in point:

There's a kid that comes out to EVERY techno party in NYC. I mean religiously, unless he has to work (he's a bartender). He's always getting down like a madman.

He prays at the altar of techno.

What did he used to listen to? George Acosta. Used to be his favorite DJ.

Another case.

My roommate used to get amped about Tiesto and all the big name DJs of that ilk. Then I started taking her out to Tronic, and all the techno parties. Now she listens to techno more than I do! Is more amped about the techno parties than I am, and has no interest whatsoever in the trance parties.

My approach with her was never, yo I can't believe yo go to that shit, it's awful. Instead I took the tack, "Yo, you like that, you should really check out THESE parties."

Of all the modern forms of music that don't fall under the realm of descending from the classical / composer world, straight up techno has got to be some of the more inaccesable music out there. It's pretty abstract and holds few roots to "popular" music.

People like Tiesto and Oakenfold, or before them "bands" like Crystal Method and the Prodigy (where did stuff like that go?!?!)provide a gateway to this music. If we sit here and slag them off, as well as anyone that listens to them we alienate future consumers of our music. Because honestly, youre average person isn't going to go from the melody / hook driven music that dominates most of the airwaves to techno. They need a bridge. Why burn that bridge?

That's exactly what the general techno populace has done for the last someodd years. And what harvest have we sown?

ahm... no. i got into techno via David Holmes & Sabres Of Paradise around 93-94 then started to find ppl like Panetary Assault Systsems & Beyer & Mills & UR and the like.

i have NEVER listened to Tiesto or any such.

jus cos you know ppl who moved to techno from hard house or trance dont make it a general rule ;)
    featured on VOICES Vol 1 - TEMPL8R.1 - V/A - AVAILABLE SEPT

BOA Lifetime Member

tiesto

ahm... wtf ?
    Case in point:

There's a kid that comes out to EVERY techno party in NYC. I mean religiously, unless he has to work (he's a bartender). He's always getting down like a madman.

He prays at the altar of techno.

What did he used to listen to? George Acosta. Used to be his favorite DJ.

Another case.

My roommate used to get amped about Tiesto and all the big name DJs of that ilk. Then I started taking her out to Tronic, and all the techno parties. Now she listens to techno more than I do! Is more amped about the techno parties than I am, and has no interest whatsoever in the trance parties.

My approach with her was never, yo I can't believe yo go to that shit, it's awful. Instead I took the tack, "Yo, you like that, you should really check out THESE parties."

Of all the modern forms of music that don't fall under the realm of descending from the classical / composer world, straight up techno has got to be some of the more inaccesable music out there. It's pretty abstract and holds few roots to "popular" music.

People like Tiesto and Oakenfold, or before them "bands" like Crystal Method and the Prodigy (where did stuff like that go?!?!)provide a gateway to this music. If we sit here and slag them off, as well as anyone that listens to them we alienate future consumers of our music. Because honestly, youre average person isn't going to go from the melody / hook driven music that dominates most of the airwaves to techno. They need a bridge. Why burn that bridge?

That's exactly what the general techno populace has done for the last someodd years. And what harvest have we sown?
    Aye, I agree. I have been saying for a long that that the 'Rave' Scene also helped techno as kids (like myself) grew out of it and moved on. I know a lot of people who come from those backgrounds including myself been regular at the helter skelter technodrome

1st time I heard techno back then when I was about 16 I thought it sounded a bit too repetetive untill I caught a few Ribbz, Luke McMillan and Mark eggs sets. Went to the Orbit the next year and never looked back

BOA Lifetime Member

Maybe we should all just shut up and get on with it :lol:

Administrator

Mark Egg? Cheers mate.

And as for the typo button - hmmmm , lemme think about this.

ermmm...

NOPE

:lol:

Hail The Rev :clap: :clap:

Supreme Freak

my flatmate is actually called mark egg....or eggo....or eggy....
    haha.....he wishes i was lying probably haha

Junior Freak

Default a

i didnt liked the locked ep ...

but i liked lots of stuff chris made

there too many people who are making good techno out there to waste time wiht these issues

things are hard so what?

work harder

make up solutions and never give up

all i have to say

Junior Freak

all this talk about "techno being too loopy"....

forgive me if i may have missed the point, but isnt the essence and core of techno music evolves around that one loop that locks on?
    At least the European stuff im talking about....

if its too loopy, listen to trance yo!

BOA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by The Divide
    Maybe we should all just shut up and get on with it :lol:
    Ill shut up, except for the phrase

"Cheers - mines a pint"

:lol: :clap:

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by tekara

forgive me if i may have missed the point, but isnt the essence and core of techno music evolves around that one loop that locks on?
    was

BOA Lifetime Member

It's a a really stupid attitude to take, pointing the finger at anyone who uses loops. Practically EVERY producer I know uses loops and each of them has their own distinct sound as varied as you like. Given the power of modern software there's so much you can do to make "stolen" loops your own. Loops are only a foundation. If you're writing off the use off loops it really is time to move on. Go get a guitar or something.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcidTrash
    It's a a really stupid attitude to take, pointing the finger at anyone who uses loops. Practically EVERY producer I know uses loops and each of them has their own distinct sound as varied as you like. Given the power of modern software there's so much you can do to make "stolen" loops your own. Loops are only a foundation. If you're writing off the use off loops it really is time to move on. Go get a guitar or something.
    was

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by massplanck
    was
    Care to elaborate or are you going to sit there being smug?

BOA Lifetime Member

Generally these comments come from people who use a lot of loops.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    Are you claiming you don't?
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

Administrator

look, we don't need a personal 'i don't use loops' slagging match. if you wanna start a loops debate, post another topic ;)

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by tocsin
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    Are you claiming you don't?
    very few, but mark is right this topic has gone waaaay off.
    If you have anything CM related, put it here, if not, start anothr thread.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

I'm just curious if anyone here can honestly say that don't use loops since, when you program a measure with a 4/4 909 beat with some tweaky synth over the top that you only adjust with a cutoff, modulation, etc., and you repeat that measure anywhere from 4-32 times before introducing much variation, you are using a "loop." I've not heard many pop music artists that don't use loops, riffs, hooks, whatever you want to call it. I really enjoyed techno a lot more when the artists didn't seem so pompous.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

Junior Freak

:clap: Yeah i totally agree. We need a lot more positive energy. It was those bridges u speak of that guided the light for my friends and I to eventually find techno.

Junior Freak

ahm... no. i got into techno via David Holmes & Sabres Of Paradise around 93-94 then started to find ppl like Panetary Assault Systsems & Beyer & Mills & UR and the like.

i have NEVER listened to Tiesto or any such.

jus cos you know ppl who moved to techno from hard house or trance dont make it a general rule ;)
    You just admitted to having followed the same formula i had laid out. You got into something else similar, then discovered techno and got into that. My main point was that these bridges are essential to our music surviving and gaining fresh blood.

If whoever/whatever turned you onto UR, Mills, Beyer etc came out to you and said, what you're listening to right now is garbage. You are a moron for listening to that complete and total crap, how can you listen to that garbage, what I listen to is SOOOO much better. Would you have been inclined to check it out? Maybe, but most people would just be like....uh yeh okay, you're whack, I'm gonna keep rockin out to what I like.

I never said it was a hard and fast rule that all people in techno got into it through trance / hard house /rave etc. But a LOT of people did. There are many bridges, don't matter which one you take, but we shouldn't be burning any. You gotta cross the river somehow and this world doesn't have too many swimmers.
    The Rev
    Ordained in the Ministry of Techno
    www.gothamgrooves.com
    www.myspace.com/therevufi

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast