Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Studio Sound Proofing.

Well I'm wanting to completely sound proof our studio. Obviously the lower the expense the better, but then again I'm not going to cut corners for the sake of a few hundred quid.

Has anyone got any good links to anything that will help?

Ultimate Freak

http://www.auralex.com
    very posh though

if you find other industrys that use the same materials and buy from suppliers within that industry you can often get things much cheaper..
    jimmah!

the big pork pie

Don't rip the piss, but the cheapest sound proofing I ever installed at home was egg boxes sellotaped to the walls...And believe me it ****ing worked wonders! That cheap enough for you Mr EG? Trouble is you and Chrissi will be eating egg with everything for months! Then you could be Mark EGG :lol:

Administrator

ok had a look at this link and it seems to be for acoustic foam. it says on their site:

Acoustical foam (and fiberglass and acoustical blankets and mattresses and curtains, and so on) is an acoustical absorber. Foam is ideal for improving the sound in the room, but does little to stop sound from leaking into or out of a room.

I definitely need to know about reducing the sound leaking out of the room - not improving the accoustics in the room (although this will come later)

Junior Freak

First of all, you want to work on the doors and windows of the room, as that is where most sound will escape. Properly sealing the doors and covering up the windows will make a big difference.

After that you need to improve the soundproofing of the walls. Best bet is to effectively build a smaller room within your existing room. Stud walls with an air gap will cut down the sound going through the walls. For best results though you dont want to have the new wall attached to the old wall, as the sound will just travel straight through the studs. You need a the old wall, an air gap, then the new wall. That will cut down the sound transmitted considerably.

Personally I recommend moving somewhere where your neighbours make considerably more noise than you ever will, then you can just completely forget any ideas about soundproofing and turn everything up to full without worries.
    These go to eleven!!

BOA Lifetime Member

yeah room within a room with sound insulation within the cavities is a good idea if ure planning on doin it ureself. u would need two lots of doors . one to exit the mini room, one to exit main room. with sound proofing on the back of both doors.
    GREYGROUND

Keepin' it Unreal

My colledge just sound proofed their studio with these special sound proof boards, but they aint cheap at all. The whole thing with fitting cost nearly £60,000. Which included 3 sound booths, whole live rooma and the controll room. Obviously your studio is gonna be no-where as big as that, but it still wont work out cheap.

BOA Lifetime Member

Default Re: Studio Sound Proofing.

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    Well I'm wanting to completely sound proof our studio. Obviously the lower the expense the better, but then again I'm not going to cut corners for the sake of a few hundred quid.

Has anyone got any good links to anything that will help?
    Well we should all know that is nearly impossible to completely sound proof a room, lower frequencies will always come through and it's only best to sound proof a recording studio because of mikes. I don't really think it's necessary for a project studio, IMO> :D

Junior Freak

Try Studiospares

They do a sound isolation room within a room. 2m x 2m for £3500 and they can do up to 4m x 4m.

They do acoustic tiles as well.

Administrator

wow..3500 is a little expensive for me for a 2x2 room! i think i need info on how to construct this 'room' within a room using perhaps plasterboard and the air gap etc etc. i could do with serious instructions on how to construct this if anyone knows where there is such a thing. then perhaps a firedoor and maybe a high density mass around the room too. sand? lead?

BOA Newbie

i too am interested in this actually..... i have found a decent link:
    http://soundproofing.org/infopages/Music_room.htm

it has tonnes of information and am just picking through it right now.
    as for egg crates, they only dampen the sound within the room and not prevent sound from leaving the room. if you are going to build a separate wall, there are some tips and instructions on the above site.

definately do not use high-density materials though... .that only makes the sound travel better through the materials. for example, if someone is talking behind a door and you can't hear them, you press your ear up to the door to listen in.... you have to have a dead-air space for best results i believe..... still reading.....

BOA Newbie

^^ i misread your post mark. i thought you meant a high density material pressed flush up against the exisiting wall.... that will work only on the new wall that has dead air space behind it i believe. and um... you can't buy lead in huge quantities and would not recommend having that around your house either....

Ultimate Freak

yeah and egg crates also only stop the very top end frequencys reflecting - they are virtually useless things..

i think auralex do have some soundproofing products - dont they have that sound barrier stuff that you buy on the roll?

anyways..

yeah - you need a room within a room, sunken ceiling, raised floor blah blah, its a bit of a ****in mission tho.. give dean a ring mark cos he had to soundproof his old studio so he knows the practicalities of it all, and he's a lovely chap so he'll be glad to help.

re. the acoustic foam, this is well worth getting into...

i can honestly say i would rather use a set of cheap hi-fi speakers from richer sounds that are well placed and in a completly dead space than a pair of £900 mackie monitors badly placed, in a room that reflects..
    and only about 1 in 10 people seem to bother setting thier room up properly - such a waste
    jimmah!

BOA Newbie

^^ any links for setting it up properly man? i am very limited with my space, but would appreciate reading some good links so i might be able to improve things a bit.

thanks.
    phil

BOA Newbie

air is the best soundproofing (analbumcover...great name and great advice). the more air space between your old wall and yer floating room the better.
    i cheaply made my place pretty soundproof by putting a sheet of that pink 2" compressed styrofoam housing insulation covered with thick eggshell mattress foam. i keep all my speakers a couple of feet from the walls as well. it isn't proper (the real sound proofing sheets are 200 bucks for a 2x2 and i have no space for a floating room) but i haven't had any complaints. but i think my neighbours may be too afraid of me to complain. hmmmm maybe they can hear after all...

i-ron

Junior Freak

I'm soooooooooo fukking tempted to take some of those pannels from the my audio booths at work.....

hehhe

-jOHNNY

Administrator

yeah thanx for this guys. i'm reading that supersoundproofing link right now. superb!

any other tips from anyone else is much appreciated.

Junior Freak

Mark, We used some loft instalation boards to cover all the walls (These are well cheap too!) then just covered everything in thick underlay stuck with some strong spray glue and staples. Then on top of that we got this lush black fabric almost like a thin leather what cost 25 quid a roll (one roll is all we needed) and that pulled really tight over everything and stapeld it round the edges and round the edges we put some nice beading to cover up all the stapels!!

Gives it a great finish, it's cheap and havnt had no complaints of yet!!

Prince Of Warthogs

don't bother
    move to a studio which is sound proofed already with air con
    don't **** about doing it yourself, it'll cost you , take ages, won't really work without serious structural work and totally piss you off.
    take it from me
    i did it.
    no put your efforts into finding a pre built studio space ( there most be one in leeds there's hundreds in london) whith all the trimmings
    it may cost you a little more but if you weight up the costs you'll probably find it cheaper in the long run.

(i reckon anyway)

but that is coming from a MISERABLE CUNT !!!!!!!!!
    as you called me on friday which by the way i recorded and will play back to you for the next few years to come.

if you are going to do it though
    go to the library and get a book on home studio design you'll be surprised at how helpful it'll be rather than listening to miserable cunts on the internet
    love your mum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast