Uglyfunk 06 : Tobias Schmidt / Hanno Hinkelbein Split EP - Out now!

1. Tobias Schmidt - Drugly Drunk

2. Tobias Schmidt - Where Are You?

3. Hanno Hinkelbein - One Second

4. Hanno Hinkelbein - Waaagh!

Available now from - info@uglyfunk.com and from Juno and Rubadub Monday.

'Vital and Original' - Wire Magazine

Review by Jerome Hill : 'Ugly Funk has never been a label to put a record out just to keep a foot in the door of familiarity, but due to ruthlessly high quality control levels this has never mattered and the releases have had enough longevity and momentum to see you through to the next. This one, i'm happy to say, doesn't break the tradition.

Long time Uglyfunk co-conspirator Tobias Schmidt steps up and (put bluntly) serves an ace with "Drugly Drunk". This is Schmidt at his best, with killer riffs and bass and a proper moody 'storyline' that locks you in from start to finish whilst introducing a variety of dubious characters along the way. Trust me, you'll be whistling this one on the bus after the first listen and DJ's will be playing it for a long time to come.

"Where are you?" is an unsettling mix of solid 'Reese' bassline and frantic jittery electronic and vocal stutterings that fit together like sliced bread and is another Schmidt odyssey that sounds great and works whilst being both distinctly memorable and effortlessly functional.

Serial Ugly Funk cohort and 'our man in Berlin' Hanno Hinklebein (Aeox, Null records) takes over the other side and shows us the dark and dirty underbelly of his city... the side that slips beneath the radar of the pristine 'nouveau-minimal' clique for whom the city has been lauded by the music media. This is the music Richie and Ricardo didn't want you to hear ;

"One Second" is a demonic broken headbanger whose poisonous strings provide a welcome if uneasy breather before 'that' voice worms it's way inside your head, finally heralding the bass drop for the ravers.. Try not to have nightmares !

"Waaaaaagh!" finishes the ep off and i couldn't even begin to describe it, lets just say that its definitely one you won't forget! if you've ever lost it on acid you'll be familiar with the drill, and if you haven't... well, now you know how it feels! '