http://bocktherobber.com/2009/10/fif...cation-process

The only link about this story I could find.

Soccer’s governing body this week made a dramatic U-turn and announced that they were introducing a seeding system for the European play offs for the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

FIFA will deny it, but their decision to introduce seeding for the play offs is in response to the prospect of a World Cup minus commercial heavyweights Germany, France and Portugal, all of whom have big TV audiences. The trio are not guaranteed outright qualification from their groups.The sponsors are getting nervy, the TV CEOs are on the line.

Germany and France could of course qualify outright, negating the need for any of the above. However, FIFA are making sure that if both countries do get dragged into the play offs along with those filthy little urchins from the rest of Europe that they have the best possible chance getting back out clutching a plane ticket for South Africa.
It's totally understandable to announce rules like this one before the start of qualification, but it's not ok to do so just before the end. That makes rules useless and open to change at any time. The only FA to protest against this, to my knowledge, is the Irish FA and they have full right to do so cause it's just not fair and it's condescending. We all know what 'seeding system' is a euphemism for.

Football stops being football if it's ruled by TV ratings and sponsors. The people get screwed. Screwed out of the best football, the best games, the best matchups, dramatic finishes and the best team. A seeding system in the qualification playoffs is illogical since all of the teams placed 2nd, they are all equal in that respect. And that's the only respect that should count in regard to qualification.

I think the decision is dubious.