Hi there.

After 15 years of Acid Techno dj`ing I finally took the plunge about four months back and started out learning to make my own tunes on Ableton. To begin with I just took basic tutorials in getting around the daw, basic production techniques and so on then started practicing percussion loops and basic sequencing.

For 303 duties I`ve been using abl2 (although that`ll change as soon as I can afford me an x0xb0x ) and to start with (whilst i got my head around everything else) was just playing around with preset patterns. A few weeks back it came time to move on to something new so I learnt to use the internal sequencer to make my own patterns.

Anyways, getting to the point; I was wondering what order other people tend to build their tracks in?... i.e. do you program an acid line that you like and then build the percussion and everything else around that or do you get a nice percussion loop going and then try to make a 303 line to fit?

Obviously I know there are no hard and fast rules about which order to put together tracks etc but am interested in what works for you guys and if you have any tips on the subject.

Thanks in advance